Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
What do you guys recommend to receive good wifi in the van just got a fire stick to plug into the tv but need decent wifi .

Jan 16, 2017
Hillingdon
Funster No
MH
Vantage Med
Exp
Since 2017
Lenny’s recommendation is the best solution. Depending on your tv desperation, the first option is simply to tether the fire stick to your phone. This works for me most of the time (90%?). But the biggest necessity is a phone sim contract with a big data allowance; the fire stick can easily gobble up 1GB of data per hour when streaming tv.

Deleted User
Phone hotspots work almost a well. Had a Motorhome WiFi installed but now only use it as a backup as we use our phones for tethering but you need a big data deal.

Jan 27, 2019
Teesside
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2016
LennyHB has a very good solution, I have recently fitted that and it is working very well. The E5577s was for sale on Amazon recently for 80 quid, I bought one it’s new and not a refurb, just place the SIM card and switch on Then enter the security code into your devices. I use the pontying puk antenna from Solwise on the roof of my PVC. Be careful when selecting the mifi device as not all come with the mimo antenna plugs. If you go this route you will need TS9 adapter connectors to SMA, very cheap of Amazon or buy from Solwise.
Good luck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
I am at Charmouth at the moment , the firestick was buffering when tethered to my phone , so used the 5577 and all was well, apart from those lengthy adverts on itv hub!!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
What do you guys recommend to receive good wifi in the van just got a fire stick to plug into the tv but need decent wifi .
Hurry up ,before someone else snaps it up.
E5577s + the cables you need for <half price.
Only if you can live with black though as the white one is much prettier!:giggle:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The only problem with the Puck aerials they don't have any gain in the 800 mhz bandwidth fine if you are near an urban area but out in the country cell transmissions use the 800mhz bandwidth which is where most of us camp.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2014
Wickford, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1993
I’m trying to decide on how to get wifi in my new van. The easiest way would be to tether to my phone but then I would need a large data allowance. Therefore I was wondering about a mifi but am totally ignorant as to how they function. I assume I need a SIM card, hopefully with a fixed amount of data that can be used over a period of time. However I really don’t want to put anything on the roof of the van and simply haven’t a clue as to what the wires in the one for sale above are for. Help!

Mar 3, 2014
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since 2013
Are these Huawei mifi 5G ready ?
I have a TP Link , its got an unlimited 3 sim and works fine...my mobile is 5G enabled so I can tether .

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Are these Huawei mifi 5G ready ?
I have a TP Link , its got an unlimited 3 sim and works fine...my mobile is 5G enabled so I can tether .
The 5577 is only 4G, I can't see 5G rolled out into rural areas where most of us camp for many years.

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
I’m trying to decide on how to get wifi in my new van. The easiest way would be to tether to my phone but then I would need a large data allowance. Therefore I was wondering about a mifi but am totally ignorant as to how they function. I assume I need a SIM card, hopefully with a fixed amount of data that can be used over a period of time. However I really don’t want to put anything on the roof of the van and simply haven’t a clue as to what the wires in the one for sale above are for. Help!
I use one of these connected to the Huwaei, Takes seconds to stick on the window, works a treat. I think you can get them cheaper elswhere.

NETGEAR 6000450 AirCard MIMO Antenna 2 Ts-9 LTE​

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I use one of these connected to the Huwaei, Takes seconds to stick on the window, works a treat. I think you can get them cheaper elswhere.

Got one of those but upgraded to a Puck last year for similar cost.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp

It's cheap and if it works for you great.
Just looked at the spec only 2.5db gain compared to 6.5db on the Poynting also they always quote max gain which will be in the higher frequency bandwidths the gain in the 800 mhz band will be naff all and that is where you need the gain in remote areas.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Just looked at the spec only 2.5db gain compared to 6.5db on the Poynting also they always quote max gain which will be in the higher frequency bandwidths the gain in the 800 mhz band will be naff all and that is where you need the gain in remote areas.
Is it no aboot time yi wur upgrading yir MiMo and sellin' it tae me?(y) And if yi cannae get it aff the roof you'll need tae chuck in the van foc!:Smile:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Is it no aboot time yi wur upgrading yir MiMo and sellin' it tae me?(y) And if yi cannae get it aff the roof you'll need tae chuck in the van foc!:Smile:
Are you serious, you would want a crappy old Hymer? :rofl:
The latest MIMO is a bit better in the 800mhz band I think it's 2.5db mine is 1.5 db (from memory). Only been let down once with the current set up, high up in remote mountians.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I was trawling through the mobile MiFis the other day, needing something a bit more up to date as my old one was missing some important frequencies. I couldn't find anything that would automatically turn on when power was applied as I want to hide it away somewhere with just an external power switch and don't want to faff with a compulsory power switch press on the device itself. Ideally it would also have external antennae for better signal.

In the end, realised that home broadband routers have all these features and typically run off 12V, so bought one of those. Ended up with a TP-Link Archer MR600. A bit larger, but I'll find somewhere to hide it. The lack of battery is a bonus.

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Im sure your system is far superior, but Downsie said they didnt want anything on the roof! Ive found the sucker aerial great for the price and what it does.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Im sure your system is far superior, but Downsie said they didnt want anything on the roof! Ive found the sucker aerial great for the price and what it does.
My Puck just sits on a shelf underneath the skylight and works well.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Are wifi systems any better than tethering to your phone? Can see that there would be much difference to be honest.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Are wifi systems any better than tethering to your phone? Can see that there would be much difference to be honest.

They are mounted high up, giving greater range. If you have a steel/alumiunium roof and walls, they have an antenna mounted above, outside the Faraday cage that is your van. Some antennae are particularly well designed and give greater gain than your mobile. My old roof mounted cantenna on a Huawei MiFi would typically give 3 more bars (out of five) on the same network as my phone. i.e. phone = 2 bar, MiFi = 5 bar. MiFi = 2 bars, phone is long gone.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Yes, the Mifi on its own will often pick up a stronger signal that a phone and when combined with a decent MIMO on the roof they are far better.
We have often been in areas when phones have no data or coms but Mifi brings in a 3g signal.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I just use my phone as a hotspot, my plan has unlimited tinternet on the 3Network, the reception has genuinely surprised me.
I get a flawless signal deep in the Galloway Forest Park, speed is excellent & as long as I keep the phone plugged into a USB charger, all is well.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
A mifi works in exactly the same way as tethering to your phone. Imagine a device that just does tethering, so it doesn't have a microphone and speaker for voice calls, and no need for a keypad or a big screen, just a small screen with basic info.

The problem with phone tethering is when you are in an area of weak phone signal. The phone aerials are only the size of a postage stamp. And there's no sockets to attach a larger better aerial.

A mifi has aerial sockets. Aerials can be permanently mounted on the roof, with a hole for the aerial cable. Or they can be attached to the roof or side windows with suckers. There are dozens of different shapes and sizes, but basically the bigger the better.

Some mifis also have internal aerials like a phone, and can be carried round and used in hotel rooms, trains etc, especially if they have an internal battery like a phone.

Unfortunately a mifi needs a SIM and a data package, just like a phone does.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back