Why, just why and aren’t solar panels great. (1 Viewer)

Usually confused.

Free Member
Oct 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Malibu 640
Exp
Clueless newbie.
we bought our first van late last year after renting for yonks and we‘re delighted with it. A few snags that’ll be solved in time but nothing that spoils our enjoyment and making future plans.

Anyway, what with covid, shielding, isolating and generally spending months just looking outside the window, the time had finally come to visit the storage yard and check on our Malibu. To be honest, I’ve been dreading it. The last time we took it out was around December time before Boris locked us all down again and I’ve been expecting knackered batteries, damp bedding, etc so with trepidation I headed out armed with jumper cables, multimeters, booster packs and my trusty toolbox filled with various sized hammers as my diy skills centre around hitting things until they work again.

Walked up to van, hit the blipper and an encouraging alarm disarming noise replied. Opened the door and inserted the key and held my breath. Well, the mighty Ducato fired as if I’d parked it up only yesterday. No struggling, no hesitation, just instant engine noise - I was overjoyed and patting the steering wheel saying ‘well done, girl!’. Went to move the van and then? Nothing! Wheel slipping and sliding as if I’m a contender in the Monaco rally. Tried mats, bits of wood but only managed to sink further in the well sodden grass. Aaarrrrgggggghhhhhhh!

Trudge to the office, covered in mud to see if they could help. ‘Certainly Sir but Fred is out today so you’ll have to come back’.

So next week is D Day when I can finally after long months of hibernation get the mighty Malibu on the road. (I’ll take her to work instead of the car to comply with the law). Lot of trips planned and don’t want to be caught out.

Moral of the story? Get a solar panel! Mines a 120w thingy and when I turned the control panel on, both leisure and starter batteries were reading virtually max results. Even in winter during long periods of doing naff all and when the sun is rare, it’ll help save you from potential grief.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Your parking brake shoes aren’t stuck are they, causing you to spin your wheels?
Just a thought.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Moral of the story? Get a solar panel! Mines a 120w thingy and when I turned the control panel on, both leisure and starter batteries were reading virtually max results. Even in winter during long periods of doing naff all and when the sun is rare, it’ll help save you from potential grief.
... and yet folk on here still quote the myth that solar doesn't work in the winter.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Have you got levellers? shove those under, and give it a go. Good luck and enjoy your lovely toy

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
... and yet folk on here still quote the myth that solar doesn't work in the winter.
Depends on what you are using it for, try camping in December when are using 40 to 50 a/h a day and see how you get on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Depends on what you are using it for, try camping in December when are using 40 to 50 a/h a day and see how you get on.
agree with that, but too many saying solar wont keep your batteries topped up just for storage.
Great news about your van Usually confused.
If using the same storage area again make sure you park on mats, or ask for another pitch if available.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I do/have used it in December, I have no use for 40 to 50ah a day(no christmas lights or TV etc), but live very comfortably anyway, keeping all our appliances fully charged.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
If youve got a tyre inflater that will plug into your magnificently charged battery, release quite an amount of pressure and stick some cut up bread bins (you may need to reallocate them from somewhere) or a shed load of pebbles to get some grip then re pump the tyres.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Ours has been parked up since a week before Xmas. Wont get to it til early April. The solar switch in the cupboard is on motor/engine battery............i hope and think. Be interesting to see if it fires up ok. We are on hard standing in storage so no issues re grip.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Mine has been out twice, once for annual service (total mileage in year 2500) and once for MOT (passed after replacementof no plate lamp). All batteries fully charged on solar.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It really depends on when you check, if its been nice and bright/sunny then the solar will have topped up the batteries and keep them there, but if you get a few weeks of dull weather then you could find that they don't 'optimise' the batteries, the only true way to know for sure if they are keeping your batteries in a good state of charge all the time is to check them daily.

Even with our solar panels (2 x 100w) we do still put it on EHU every now and then as the cab battery in particular, which doesn't get as much solar input as the leisure batteries, does drop quite a bit over time.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
It really depends on when you check, if its been nice and bright/sunny then the solar will have topped up the batteries and keep them there, but if you get a few weeks of dull weather then you could find that they don't 'optimise' the batteries, the only true way to know for sure if they are keeping your batteries in a good state of charge all the time is to check them daily.

Even with our solar panels (2 x 100w) we do still put it on EHU every now and then as the cab battery in particular, which doesn't get as much solar input as the leisure batteries, does drop quite a bit over time.
I disagree. For maintaining 2-3 batteries even in winter, a 100w panel will be more than enough. Even with grim days. The trick is to have a proper system to charge all batteries, no dual batteries controller but proper device that allows charging of the starter in the same manner as the habitation. I run outside lighting in the garden of 120w solar and two used car batteries. The controller says it tops 240-250wh every day. This is 5 led lights on, all night 365days. Months unattended when we live home, and since last year, we added a IP camera as well, of the outside lights battery.
In a Motorhome, you will need much less daily, primarily to cover for self discharge, and any small loads of a alarm maybe. The issue ppl have is not the panel, but the system configuration. That’s why some do ok, and some complain. Even if you don’t get any meaningful charge for a week, the self discharge should be covered by 2-3 good hrs of solar. If you have standby loads, then you need more solar. But for self discharge only, a 100w panel can take care of 3-400ah of lead with ease.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I disagree. For maintaining 2-3 batteries even in winter, a 100w panel will be more than enough. Even with grim days. The trick is to have a proper system to charge all batteries, no dual batteries controller but proper device that allows charging of the starter in the same manner as the habitation. I run outside lighting in the garden of 120w solar and two used car batteries. The controller says it tops 240-250wh every day. This is 5 led lights on, all night 365days. Months unattended when we live home, and since last year, we added a IP camera as well, of the outside lights battery.
In a Motorhome, you will need much less daily, primarily to cover for self discharge, and any small loads of a alarm maybe. The issue ppl have is not the panel, but the system configuration. That’s why some do ok, and some complain. Even if you don’t get any meaningful charge for a week, the self discharge should be covered by 2-3 good hrs of solar. If you have standby loads, then you need more solar. But for self discharge only, a 100w panel can take care of 3-400ah of lead with ease.
Our car stands weeks with a 5w panel in the windscreen. It's too much if it's sunny for a few consecutive days, no controller on it👍

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
I like the idea of a solar panel to charge my car battery.
I wouldn't know where to start or what to ask for.
Please, could someone tell me in a language a thick person should understand what i should be asking for, and where.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I like the idea of a solar panel to charge my car battery.
I wouldn't know where to start or what to ask for.
Please, could someone tell me in a language a thick person should understand what i should be asking for, and where.
Ours is something like this..

High quality glass and aluminium monocrystalline, but only 5w. Any more and it will start raising the voltage too high without a controller.. And if you fit a controller that can use more power than the panel makes on dull days so 5w is about right.

Wire it straight into the car fuse box via a plug. Also make sure the panel has a diode fitted so it won't discharge the battery at night.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Some of these small panels come with suckers to stick it onto the inside of the windscreen or side window. Tilted panels are much better than horizontal, especially in winter. I think even a vertical panel is better than horizontal in winter.

Pit

Free Member
Jun 23, 2020
North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Rapido 962M
Exp
I'm a Newbie
I am in the process of fitting a solar system, Just need to get a panel to fit in certain place on the roof. I have opted for a dual charge system, so that the vehicle battery is topped up once the main battery is full. As I have had to charge the vehicle battery once and jump it a few time as it has been out for a decent run since our last weekend away in early October. all it has done is the odd bit of moving up and down the drive to help keep the tyres from getting flat spots.
Can't wait till we can get the van out properly fir the first time in what will be 6 month if all goes to plan with easing restrictions.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
This is our 5w car panel now. It's sunny here and it's facing south at the same angle as the windscreen 👌😎

Screenshot_20210307-113219_Battery Monitor.jpg

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Once upon a time, VW provided 10W solar panels with their new vehicles to the USA so that when the vehicles were in storage prior to sale, the batteries and systems could be maintained.

At the time my BIL worked for Microsoft in Seattle and I had several of the panels sent to him after buying them on EBay and the like.

We visited the family in Washington and brought them back, (with a very distinctive notice inside the suitcase) and sold them on.
They had a 'cigar lighter' plug on them and I never had a complaint from the caravanners who bought them from me.

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
agree with that, but too many saying solar wont keep your batteries topped up just for storage.
Great news about your van Usually confused.
If using the same storage area again make sure you park on mats, or ask for another pitch if available.
Well, a solar panel 120 watt will keep my 110Ah leisure battery and the Ducato starter battery up to scratch

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Well, a solar panel 120 watt will keep my 110Ah leisure battery and the Ducato starter battery up to scratch
ours does the same very happy so far, but new va (to us), new solar different system, hope it works as well as out others did, once we gt to try it out in earnest. Yhink genny might come first trip 'just in case' John is on CPAP otherwise might not bother taking it.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Sneaked over to the van today before the Sainsgogs click and collect and van battery full with leisure battery on float charge. 220W solar and the usual vanbitz lithium set up. Worked well all through winter in storage

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
I have a 200w panel and dual controller.
No problems with winter there.
I do worry about the float charge level , I can monitor the starter battery voltage remotely via the tracker. It's usually at 13.8 or 13.9 V during the day.
I read somewhere that this can be a little high over long periods.
However, it doesn't seems to damage them so far but might affect the cycle count in terms of life I'm told.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Just slightly off topic

I have a 100w panel feeding my batteries via the Sargent smart controller, then last year fitted a totally separate 140w panel via a Victron 75-15 Smart Solar controller which is this one

am I correct is say that I can now only fit another 80w panel to this controller to give a max of 220w or have I got this bit wrong

Al

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back