Why do trackers have micro SD cards? (1 Viewer)

Jul 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Jap Import Nissan4x4
Exp
Semi-newbie to motorhomes
Hi,

Wondering why trackers have micro SD cards? Is it to record a journey onto etc?
I wondered if it just pinged its location every few seconds in order to do that.

OP
OP
TobyQuest
Jul 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Jap Import Nissan4x4
Exp
Also does it matter what size micro sd card you put in them? does it make a difference in any way eg big cards use the batter life faster?

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Its how they send a signal out, so they can be tracked, just like a mobile phone really.
Even Gas & Electric Smart Meters use SIM cards to send out meter readings to the suppliers.
LES

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
They use sim cards not SD cards ...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Contrary to what others have said some, if not all, do have an SD card.
The sim is only to receive setting messages and to inform you if it's been triggered and where.
The SD card is to record journeys to be viewed on a computer.
The bigger value the SD the more journey data it can record before being over-written by new data.
A large SD card won't use any more power than a small one.

IMG_20200808_114745.jpg

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Contrary to what others have said some, if not all, do have an SD card.
The sim is only to receive setting messages and to inform you if it's been triggered and where.
The SD card is to record journeys to be viewed on a computer.
The bigger value the SD the more journey data it can record before being over-written by new data.
A large SD card won't use any more power than a small one.

View attachment 413815
But if the tracker is hidden how do you access it?:giggle:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
But if the tracker is hidden how do you access it?:giggle:
Unless it's a professional tracker you know where it is, you hid it.
If someone else fitted it, ask where they hid it.
I only ever accessed mine once, it only shows a line on a basic map.... Not worth the effort removing the card, especially when a dash cam has ALL the info you'll ever need.

The SD only records journeys, it doesn't have any further use.

OP
OP
TobyQuest
Jul 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Jap Import Nissan4x4
Exp
Thanks Pappa Johnfor the clarification. Its a shame a lot of people comment giving wrong info. Then future readers will read the posts and be confused.
But your post is the accurate one, cheers

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010

Unless of course your tracker is offering live tracking as ours does in which case the sim card provides carrier wave provides a passive connection for the positional information the web server in real time.
The SD card on ours will hold positional data if the cell connection to the sim is lost and will then upload the data during the period of lost connection with the sim upon re-connection.

The positional and route data from our trackers is held on a cloud server for a 3 month rolling period and I can retrieve and view this at anytime during that 3 months time frame.

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Thanks Pappa Johnfor the clarification. Its a shame a lot of people comment giving wrong info. Then future readers will read the posts and be confused.
But your post is the accurate one, cheers
Your going to regret posting that :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The positional and route data from our trackers is held on a cloud server for a 3 month rolling period and I can retrieve and view this at anytime during that 3 months time frame.
Yes, but did you pay 35 quid for your tracker.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Getting back to the serious side, picking where and what to splice into for the engine cut-out on a Peugeot Boxer ?
Newer trackers will not let the engine cut-out kick in if it senses the ignition being on and it's no use it cutting the feed to the lift pump in the fuel tank as this is only aids the fuel delivery in cold weather when the diesel is more viscus and any thief worth his salt will know about the crash switch in the footwell, plus cutting the feed to the starter solenoid can be over ridden with jump leads.
Sending a command to the tracker each time you leave the van to activate the engine cut-out and then again to disarm it ever time you want to drive will soon become a pain in the backside.
I have been told that interfering with the command wire for the high pressure fuel delivery pump will really p*ss off the ECU.
Ideas ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
any thief worth his salt will know about the crash switch in the footwell,
Can't use it anyway as it turns on the indicators.
plus cutting the feed to the starter solenoid can be over ridden with jump leads.
They would have to realise what had been done and you could fit a metal shroud over the starter motor connections.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Can't use it anyway as it turns on the indicators.

Yup, forgot about that one. :doh:

They would have to realise what had been done and you could fit a metal shroud over the starter motor connections.

Fitting a metal shroud over the starter motor connections might just give the game away. :ROFLMAO:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi,

Wondering why trackers have micro SD cards? Is it to record a journey onto etc?
I wondered if it just pinged its location every few seconds in order to do that.
If you mean a tracker like the Rewire Nano it is not necessary to fit an SD card but if you do it will record location data on it. I doubt capacity is an issue but it may not like one too big. You can get a 16GB card for well under £10 now and that should be more than ample, each record is probably only a few bytes.

But as mentioned, they are not necessary unless you want a record of a journey.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you fir an SD card, as DBK says, make sure its the recommended size AND the correct class.. Class 4......6....10 etc.
As the tracker still needs a 2G sim the SD may not have been upgraded from a class 4

Reactions: DBK

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
One thing to take into consideration if your going abroad and your putting a sim card in your tracker of your own choosing, is does your sim card network provider have tie in's with multiple mobile network providers for the countries that you will be travelling or your likely to have gaps in your coverage.
I'm using M2M Global in ours.

<Broken link removed>

OP
OP
TobyQuest
Jul 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Jap Import Nissan4x4
Exp
If you mean a tracker like the Rewire Nano it is not necessary to fit an SD card but if you do it will record location data on it. I doubt capacity is an issue but it may not like one too big. You can get a 16GB card for well under £10 now and that should be more than ample, each record is probably only a few bytes.

But as mentioned, they are not necessary unless you want a record of a journey.
Interesting. I was going to use a 32gb one until I read your post. What is the issue with using one as big as this?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Interesting. I was going to use a 32gb one until I read your post. What is the issue with using one as big as this?
You can only try it and see if it works. The issue is when they wrote the code cards of 32GB may not have been imaginable and the result is the system can't address the whole of the memory. For example a variable might have been defined as 16 bytes but it now needs to be 32 bytes.

OP
OP
TobyQuest
Jul 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Jap Import Nissan4x4
Exp
I wrote tot he supplier and they told me not to use a 32gb, use 8gb.
I asked what type they said a TF card, class number eg class 4 class 10 didnt matter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back