Why can’t I get to like the new Adria Twin? (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Why can’t we get to like the new Adria Twin 640? We both like the lay out of the van, reasonable amount of storage etc etc. But the fridge is a compressor why we have been so pleased with three way fridge, we can’t see how the compressor fridge will work for us. We spend as much time off grid as we can. If we spend three or four days off grid how long will the batteries last (may put in lithium in). Have been told they they a bit noisy. Very interested in answers from Twin owners who have compressor fridges

colyboy

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
If you really like the van but not the fridge is it possible to change it for a 3 way one?

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Have a look at the Thetford T1090 fridge/freezer works just off 12v but is quiet very efficient and designed specifically for PVCs. Ours keeps stuff frozen just set on 2 out of 5

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
We had a 90 litre 3 way fridge on the last Adria Twin. On our current Adria we have the Thetford 1152 compressor, so a much bigger size as well as battery only.

We have 200a AGM batteries and 120watt solar. We mainly do off grid, though travels have been limited this year since we got the van. Our main big holiday to Europe would have been this Oct, where our set up would have got a good test.

Mostly on our 3 day away trips that we've managed we've had sun, and the battery monitor has never dropped below 12.7.

On one trip though it was cloudy for pretty much the whole 3 days and the battery monitor only dropped to 12.5 on the third day, and that was only while the fridge compressor was running. Once the compressor stopped its cycle, the battery showed 12.7 again. This was while static, so no engine charging over the 3 days.

There are pros and cons to the compressor.

The 3 way one we had was manual select so there were times when we would forget to switch over, no such worries with the compressor, though an auto 3 way would do away with that problem.

The compressor copes much better when on a slope. Even with massive levelling blocks on our drive it was always a struggle to get the 3 way one cold ready for a trip.

The compressor cools much more quickly.

The compressor copes with warm ambient temperature much better.

The compressor is noisier.
It does have a night setting, which means that the compressor doesn't kick in as often and the fan doesn't run as fast, so isn't quite as loud as during the day. However, it only really bugs me if it happens to be on when I'm trying to get to sleep, but it doesn't run for that long, and in all honesty, the gas burner roaring away on the old fridge used to bug me just as much.

I'm a light sleeper and it isn't loud enough to wake me up.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
One of the reasons we changed from our last PVC was due to the compressor fridge, we just couldn't get on with it, it was great for ease of use with not having to keep changing the fuel source but we found it noisy and power hungry which, as we wild camp/off site camp all the time, it became a bit of an issue and something we were constantly having to monitor. We considered changing it for a 3-way but the cost would've been prohibitive due to having to run the gas pipe, put in external vents plus the cost of the new fridge itself and alterations to the cabinet work, the only saving grace was that the existing manifold had a tap for a fridge! If we hadn't got the Carthago we'd certainly have had to do something about it but in the end didn't need to.

Would I have one again? Probably not, however others don't have an issue with them.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Have a look at the Thetford T1090 fridge/freezer works just off 12v but is quiet very efficient and designed specifically for PVCs. Ours keeps stuff frozen just set on 2 out of 5
That's the one we had, we had versions 1 and 2 and we didn't find either quiet.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Why can’t we get to like the new Adria Twin 640? We both like the lay out of the van, reasonable amount of storage etc etc. But the fridge is a compressor why we have been so pleased with three way fridge, we can’t see how the compressor fridge will work for us. We spend as much time off grid as we can. If we spend three or four days off grid how long will the batteries last (may put in lithium in). Have been told they they a bit noisy. Very interested in answers from Twin owners who have compressor fridges

colyboy
I think the answers all pretty much say the same as the last time you asked this question not so long ago

Cant think what answer you are looking for......I responded last time

Deleted User
Have a compressor fridge/freezer in new Hymer PVC, don't find it noisy at all.
Has a night setting which gives it near silent running mode. No power drainage problems even when on max setting.
I do like to be off grid so have twin leisure batteries and 200w solar.

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
We have an Adria twin. I was very unsure about the compressor fridge but when I asked it was the only option. Liked the rest of the van too much so went for it. In spite of me not being the best of sleepers we have had absolutely no issues with it. It’s not too noisy & we sleep feet to the end of the van. Night mode works for us. Not been more than 2 days off grid but driving between so no battery issues. It also seems far more efficient than 3 way one, especially the freezer. The advantage of just one source of power is not having to remember to switch it between modes, no bleeping because you forgot, no failure to work on gas when it felt like it.
We certainly have don’t regret our decision, love the van.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
That's the one we had, we had versions 1 and 2 and we didn't find either quiet.
Confused, there isn’t a mk2.
the one I refer to came out 2 years ago and is designed specifically to be fitted at eye level in a panel van it has a curved back to for vans. It has a night mode which is very quiet.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
Ours worked fine during summer 2019 in France when temperatures got up to 40 degrees at times. Night mode also works fine so noise is not an issue. Personally I'm glad not to have the complications of having to service a gas fridge as well as everything else, but each to their own on that
Only aspect I can't verify is batteries - never really tested it to the limits yet.

OP
OP
colyboy
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Thanks you all for replies, very mixed replies and as we are not 100% convinced so we have decided to go for PVC without a compressor fridge. On the very very short list is the Rapido V68 and the Dreamer D68 made by Rapido. Was considering the Carthago Malibu which has large fridge but no cooker/oven , fitting an oven is about £700-£1000.
Once again thank you all, if you are interested may let you know WHEN WE HAVE made a decision .

colyboy

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I think the answers all pretty much say the same as the last time you asked this question not so long ago

Cant think what answer you are looking for......I responded last time

::bigsmile: Well spotted. Didn't notice that. I too replied last time. My reply this time says pretty much the same thing since most of it is copy and pasted from the last time.

the one I refer to came out 2 years ago and is designed specifically to be fitted at eye level in a panel van it has a cured back to for vans.

Minxy Girl will probably come back and clarify but the first version of it had very poor insulation of the freezer compartment - I think all her ice cream kept melting. From memory the second version of it has a noticeably different freezer door.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
::bigsmile: Well spotted. Didn't notice that. I too replied last time. My reply this time says pretty much the same thing since most of it is copy and pasted from the last time.

Minxy Girl will probably come back and clarify but the first version of it had very poor insulation of the freezer compartment - I think all her ice cream kept melting. From memory the second version of it has a noticeably different freezer door.
Forget what I said about Mk1 and Mk2 mine is a MK2 😜

Garratt

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Miskin
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer D55+
Exp
Since 2017
Why not have a look at a Dreamer D68? It has pretty much everything that the Twin does, such as the overcab window, swing wall shower etc, but it has an AES fridge.

Update. I’ve just read one of your replies stating that you’ve got the V68/D68 on your shortlist.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We had a Rapido v53 and now a Pilote v600g both Van's had a 3 way fridge, and on our last change it was between the Pilote and the knaus boxstar but that had a compressor fridge so our decision was made on that. 😀
We see a lot of Rollerteam Van's and of course Benimar in Spain they have a 3 way fridge, there must be others. 🙂 Bob.
Screenshot_20200926-115451_Facebook.jpg

20201022_232638.jpg

Last edited:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks you all for replies, very mixed replies and as we are not 100% convinced so we have decided to go for PVC without a compressor fridge. On the very very short list is the Rapido V68 and the Dreamer D68 made by Rapido. Was considering the Carthago Malibu which has large fridge but no cooker/oven , fitting an oven is about £700-£1000.
Once again thank you all, if you are interested may let you know WHEN WE HAVE made a decision .

colyboy
The 3-way 135 litre fridge freezer on the Rapido V68 sealed the deal for us. It has automatic gas / 220v / 12v selection. What's not to like...

The rest of the Rapido is equally well specified. (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
the one I refer to came out 2 years ago and is designed specifically to be fitted at eye level in a panel van it has a curved back to for vans. It has a night mode which is very quiet.
As per Stroppy Bird's response, the freezer compartment door is completely different with the first one being a pull down, the second a sideways opening one, but more importantly mk 1 only had a cooling section in the freezer compartment which was meant to cool the whole fridge, the mk 2 has a much better way of doing this so the freezer compartment is sealed completely from the fridge and thus is much more efficient ... no melted ice-cream! I think they must've had that many issues with the mark one that they soon brought out mark 2 so the only place you tend to see the mark one for sale is where people have old stocks of them.

Mark 1 & Mark 1 respectively

1603443026679.png
1603443053407.png

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

colyboy
If you do go for one with a 3-way fridge double check they haven't changed it to a compressor only when it comes to order ... just to be safe!

Nov 10, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Started in 2013
As per Stroppy Bird's response, the freezer compartment door is completely different with the first one being a pull down, the second a sideways opening one, but more importantly mk 1 only had a cooling section in the freezer compartment which was meant to cool the whole fridge, the mk 2 has a much better way of doing this so the freezer compartment is sealed completely from the fridge and thus is much more efficient ... no melted ice-cream! I think they must've had that many issues with the mark one that they soon brought out mark 2 so the only place you tend to see the mark one for sale is where people have old stocks of them.

View attachment 435397 View attachment 435398
We had a bit of trouble with our early T1090, I contacted Thetford and they sent me an extra piece to fit onto the rear of the drip tray which seemed to help stop the freezer defrosting. They also sent me a set of new shelves because I mentioned that they had a couple of rust spots. The noise of the compressor doesn't worry us, it's pretty quiet in the night mode.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming

colyboy
I don’t think the food capacity of a compressor fridge would be sufficient for most people, I like to keep our separate fridge/freezer as full as possible, especially when off grid.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
I put 300 watts of solar on the new van after the first outing off grid with a compressor fridge when the battery was exhausted after 24hrs. Use the van very little over winter so hopefully we shout be ok next year.

Favmeister

Free Member
Sep 11, 2020
Clun Valley, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2014

View attachment 435397 View attachment 435398
Please can you confirm which one is which Minxy Girl? Your post labels both as Mark 1 ;-). I'd like to be sure so i can check when we get our van. Thanks.

Sep 19, 2013
Cabbunk Central
Funster No
MH
Carado T459
Exp
Not long enough!
Compressor fridge in our Adria Twin 640SLB is great but you will need two batteries under the seat and decent solar (we have 120w).
We wild camp and do Aires etc all the time and this works.
It does seem elegant, that the sun is chilling our fridge....

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.

colyboy
Go and get yourself an IH. Problem solved.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
One of the campers i knew bought a new van with a compressor fridge.
Meant they had to move every other day.
Probably 2 lithium the way to go?
Wildaxe have offered gas free vans for years.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back