who got stuck (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Why had he got it in reverse when they were towing him forwards and more to the point why didn't anyone notice(n)(n)

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Why had he got it in reverse when they were towing him forwards and more to the point why didn't anyone notice(n)(n)

Because he wasn't in reverse, which is why nobody noticed, sometimes Chaser me ole' mate you really do take the buscuit!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I can see why you thought that, but the optical effect of the video made the front wheels look as if they were spinning backwards. Watch them closely. :D

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I can see why you thought that, but the optical effect of the video made the front wheels look as if they were spinning backwards. Watch them closely. :D
Think you are wrong mate the optical illusion is when they appear to be going forwards

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Well if that wheel isn't going backwards I'm a Dutch man

Well Mr Chas van-Revman, have a closer look, he he. :clap2:

This phenomenon is known as the "wagon-wheel" effect. ... So when a wheel seems to spin in a direction opposite its actual rotation, it's because each spoke has come up a few degrees shy of the position it occupied when it was last imaged by the camera. This is sometimes referred to as the reverse-rotation effect

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Look at it when the wheel is going slower

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The only time it goes forwards is when he puts his clutch in at the end

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
That's a few years ago clip I'm sure. Still good to watch again.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Been there, done that - once up a back lane in Norway trying to find a non-existent campsite. Also trying to get into a narrow site entrance on a loose and rocky surface - ended up reversing in. @Portland had it happen too in Morocco.

Always now avoid trying to pull away on a hill if the surface is loose or damp. That's the problem with front-wheel drive.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not going to argue anymore on this look at the tyre not the wheel

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
And is essentially the same as the flicker of a fluorescent light making moving machinery like the chuck of a lathe appear to be stopped.

Martin

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Not going to argue anymore on this look at the tyre not the wheel

Yes but when he puts the clutch in the wheels slow right down & give a normal appearance, it really is all caused by an optical illusion. The human eye on its own ie; with no camera works at too high a speed to see this effect in normal life, however the effect can be witnessed if a vehicle is viewed with the naked eye as it passed a fence with spars at the right spacing.

The helicopter video shows the effect perfectly, trust me, if the blades stop rotating the helicopter will fall out of the sky, but the video shows what actually appears to be the blades stopping, then going backwards.

In fact of you watch the motorhome video again right at the start the wheels appear to go backwards before the tractor tries to tow it.

Last edited:

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Just before 2m24s from stationary, the very first rotation of the wheel is forwards.

Without a break in engine revs and no time to change into reverse gear, the speed of the wheel increases and the illusion starts to make it look as if it is now in reverse. The tyre now loses grip as the driver is putting too much power in and the smoke is caused by the wheel spinning forwards.

It is only towards the very end of the sequence, when the wheel slows enough for the illusion to cease, that the very last bit of rotation is still forwards.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If you want a bit more up-market try "strobing".

But what a clueless driver. I wish he'd got a bit of grip and gone right up the back of the tractor.
Ok now we have a different version of the film , i now bow to your superior judgment, but that is what got me in the first one, that tractor should have pulled that van standing on its head, but only really moved it when the van driver took the gas off , which seemed to be holding it back.
I obviously know all these illusions and stuff but was going on how it wouldn't move.
Bot anyway I now concede:whistle:

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
that tractor should have pulled that van standing on its head, but only really moved it when the van driver took the gas off , which seemed to be holding it back.

Good question mate. Me thinks the problem was that the tractor was trying to drag the motorhome sideways & the torque through the driven wheels was holding everything back. What a situation to get stuck in. There but for the grace of god go I.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Well if that wheel isn't going backwards I'm a Dutch man
You obviously haven't watched any western involving covered wagons recently.
EVERY wagon wheel turns the wrong way and if the rotational speed is spot on it stops turning altogether.
Even filmed aeroplane propellers do it.

Optical illusion.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back