Whisky fans - Lidl do it again (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
Fair play. This thread isn't for you then.

I'll set up a special brew one soon (y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Fair play. This thread isn't for you then.

I'll set up a special brew one soon (y)
The thread started with Aldi's whisky which is probably not a lot better than bells.

Only later did it devolve into a whisky connoisseur's soapbox.

I dont now, or ever have, drank that devils piss special brew.
That is the reserve of the urine soaked park bench dwellers.

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I dont drink whisky....i drink whiskey, or more specific...Bourbon.

Dont really care how old it is or how much it costs as long as it tastes of bourbon.
My prefered brand is Jack Daniel's...no7, no1, gentleman jack, tennessee honey.

But i guess that is going to get some derogatory comment.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Ahh bourbon

Invented by the yanks who couldn't take a mans drink like whiskey :LOL:

:reel:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
I dont drink whisky....i drink whiskey, or more specific...Bourbon.

Dont really care how old it is or how much it costs as long as it tastes of bourbon.
My prefered brand is Jack Daniel's...no7, no1, gentleman jack, tennessee honey.

But i guess that is going to get some derogatory comment.

I'd like to think that I haven't actually made a derogatory comment. I've actually been quite restrained :)

Bourbon is good, real good actually. Just not the stuff from Tennessee ;) True bourbon should read 'Kentucky straight' on the bottle. Blantons Gold and Eljah Craig are currently floating my boat.

Just out of interest if all whisk(e)y tastes the same, why do you drink more than one type of JD?

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
NOWT WRONG WITH BELLS

Dave

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
NOWT WRONG WITH BELLS

Dave

There is no such thing as bad whiskey. Some whiskies just happen to be better than others. -William Faulkner.

:)

KC1234

Free Member
Nov 20, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
No yet
Exp
Not yet
*lifted of off another forum but I know there are a few whisky fans here :)

To be honest after their 40 year old a few years back, their whisky offering hasn't really been up there. But, without much fanfare, I was looking for some tools and came across their spirits (released today). How did I miss this????

34 Year Sherry Cask Finish Blended Scotch Whisky - £49.99 10,000

28 Year Speyside Single Malt Scotch Whisky - £49.99 6,000 bottles

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/10980.htm?id=24&ar=1

https://scotchwhisky.com/magazine/tastings/new-whiskies/batch-16-lidl-limited-releases/

popped into lidl on the offchance they were not sold out ... There were many a bottle left so grabbed one of the 28 yr old and one of the blended 34.

Couldnt resist opening the 28 yr following the write up and I think it is actually the best whiskys I've tasted period. I dont consider myself to be a whisky expert, but have had opportunity to experience my fair share of varieties and ages and this one is special to put it in brand terms.... think glenmorangie finished to a much superior standand). The presentation box is lovely.. ideal for a christmas present (in my case a selfie^). The bottle is v presentable. Its very gluggable... testing my restraint!

Not opened the 34 yr old but based on the reviews ( which I only saw after purchase) and effort made on the 34 yr packaging lead me to think its not going to be as special... to be honest the main reason I bought it was that it matched my birth year and for £50 I thought there were worse things to buy. I'll open that when I'm feeling nostalgic for my youth.

Anyway the main reason I wanted to write this post is to let people know there are still a lot of bottles in stock... at least in Croydon! ( possibly something telling there)

Taking the bottle to the checkout felt very amusing. People in the queue admired the box of the 28yr old and I had an audible gasp when I responded to a lady behind me of how much it cost. The checkout lad, made a comment along the lines of " For that price I'd never think to drink it". I did for a second think did I make a terrible mistake and misread the zeros .. but no they were serious in thinking 50 for a 28 yr old was expensive. Got to love lidl !!

Anyway its a shame the 34 got a lesser review but it says it taste of rum and I have been known to like an aged rum too so we shall see at some later date when I fancy a rum and something to remind me of christmas.

I would say if you do have a chance over the weekend do pop into lidl and pick one of the 28 yr olds up for a dabble.. if you are feeling flush heck get the crate.... It would be worth it just for the reaction of the people in the queue.

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
@KC1234

Is this the one in town on George St? I popped in there the other day after visiting and they were 'hidden' and had loads. Others I have seen have a display case promoting them.

KC1234

Free Member
Nov 20, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
No yet
Exp
Not yet
i like jamersons too... I remember the days when you could get 2 x 1 litre bottles of the stuff in duty free for £15.. alongside bell whisky !! alas those days are withus no more...

KC1234

Free Member
Nov 20, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
No yet
Exp
Not yet
@KC1234

Is this the one in town on George St? I popped in there the other day after visiting and they were 'hidden' and had loads. Others I have seen have a display case promoting them.

Church street.. They had at least 12 of each in stock... they have empty bottles on the shop floor & keep them in the office upstairs as apparently they are high value items ;). you have to pay for the empty box then they fetch it from their office for you.

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Yes, by the tram, that's what I meant. Glad you enjoyed it :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just out of interest if all whisk(e)y tastes the same, why do you drink more than one type of JD?
At no point did I say they all taste the same.
What I did say is they do not have overtones or a 'nose' of anything which isn't involved in the distilling process.
Of course all whiskys have a unique taste and aroma but they taste and smell of whisky, not wild flowers or toffee.

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
What I did say is they do not have overtones or a 'nose' of anything which isn't involved in the distilling process.
Of course all whiskys have a unique taste and aroma but they taste and smell of whisky, not wild flowers or toffee.

The maturation process plays a massive part of imparting flavour into whisky.

Casks play a big part in what you get in the bottle so you need to know your American oak from your European sherry butts. Size of casks lead to variances too. Also, chill filtration, colouring and abv, these all play a part on the end result and experience.

Then how long it is aged for and the climate that it is aged. In fact 2 whiskies from the same run that have been aged in the same warehouse for the same amount of time may taste (and smell) differently just if they have been placed higher or lower in the warehouse than the other.

But if you're only in it to get pissed and don't feel you're up to appreciating the differences, then JD (with or without coke) is the right choice (y)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

Happy to disagree with you. You may not notice an overtone or "nose" which isn't involved with the distilling process but some of us do.

KC1234

Free Member
Nov 20, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
No yet
Exp
Not yet
Think I'll just stick to Jamesons, just glad I'm not a connissewera:rolleyes:lthough I'd love to just be able to buy pure malts ...so smooth:love:

ps not that im waiting at home for a delivery and have nothing else to do :rolleyes:. I do like jamersons reminds me of some fun times

... but generally reasonable blends are much smoother than single malts because they blend them to remove the harshness of whiskey and complement tastes. Trying to think of a similar example of complementing taste and the best I can think of is food. You could have a cheap steak or a posh waygu steak hung for 3 months (blah blah) (i.e. equivalent to a single malt cheap or mega bucks) or you could have a steak with side sauce and veg as a more balanced meal... (equivalent to a blended which uses grain whisky to blend different whiskys together). Generally a bad steak with decent sides makes it bearable ... same with Whisky ... generally a cheap blend is better than a cheap single malt. However single malts are a little more trendy now than blends because of their backstories ... running low on metaphors/similes here like the atkins diet?? :))

Man now I'm thirsty and hungry... and my delivery still hasn't arrived :(

...maybe just a little sup of the 28 ^^ to bide me over

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Ok knocking of work early as its a Friday. My drams tonight are consisting of some English whisky (EWC chapter 13 - my best whisky of 2014 btw) and given all this talk about bourbon I'm gonna crack open the bottle pictured. Note the 'Kentucky straight whisky' label on it.

Basically bourbon is more strictly regulated than Scotch. If it contains these words you know you're on the right path. Of course it's more complicated than that, but it means it's 'pure' and unadulterated. As an aside, and to be fair and balanced, JD is technically a true bourbon (the mash must contain at least 51% corn since you ask). But it's from Tennessee and due to the charcoal filtering they employ after distillation (which is not permissible as a bourbon - thus they call it Tennessee whiskey).

Oh it was originally made by a Welshman too. Did I mention it's not very good either? :D

image.jpeg

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
[SIZE=1 said:
"TheWM, post: 1638895, member: 35228"]Ok knocking of work early as its a Friday. My drams tonight are consisting of some English whisky (EWC chapter 13 - my best whisky of 2014 btw) and given all this talk about bourbon I'm gonna crack open the bottle pictured. Note the 'Kentucky straight whisky' label on it.

Basically bourbon is more strictly regulated than Scotch. If it contains these words you know you're on the right path. Of course it's more complicated than that, but it means it's 'pure' and unadulterated. As an aside, and to be fair and balanced, JD is technically a true bourbon (the mash must contain at least 51% corn since you ask). But it's from Tennessee and due to the charcoal filtering they employ after distillation (which is not permissible as a bourbon - thus they call it Tennessee whiskey).[/SIZE]

Oh it was originally made by a Welshman too. Did I mention it's not very good either? :D

This is the whisky that we are thoroughly enjoying, also made by Welshmen ....

http://www.welsh-whisky.co.uk/Our-Whiskies/Penderyn-Sherrywood.aspx

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Penderyn make good, if not brilliant numbers.
No doubt - their Madeira finish is one that I love. :)

I've just poured you a dram; tip your screen to one side and enjoy: lloniannau :)

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Tonight's tipple is a Midwinter's Night Dram by Glenmorangie. I've not had this before as it has only recently been brought to market and will be a UK exclusive and with today's snow seemed appropriate.

Buy it now. Do it, especially as it is £28 in Morrisons and £30 in Sainsburys (RRP is £40). Already overseas buyers are ramping up the price, I saw one go for £210 recently, not including auction fees.

This is the first NAS (no age statement) bottle I've had this year that didn't leave me feeling that I was missing out on more.

A nice marmalade, almond infused scent, which leads to a peppery astringent sweet taste, with several layers forming. It's smooth and milky/creamy on the finish with some spiciness that pleasantly lingers in the background. Thumbs up for Glenmorangie (y) especially making this at a reasonable price - as it's restricted (unusually) to the UK, I can see this becoming a bit of a cult classic.

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Tonight's tipple is Blair Athol 12 Flower & Fauna.

You may or may not be aware that this is from the same distillery as Bells and is their (only) single malt offering and is used in the Bells blend. It is hard to drink this without thinking/tasting Bells, which is a shame, as given a while to open (15 mins), there is some nice notes in there - ginger and black forest gateau on the nose pushing on to some citrus and raisin on the tongue. A spicy (think sherry) finish, which ends quite nicely.

If you have a spare £40, and want to deconstruct Bells, then grab some of this and drink it alongside some Caol Ila to give you an idea of how the individual component parts taste. I won't be buying this again in a rush.

Last edited:

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
:) do I get an introduction fee (bottle)?! I hope you enjoy them, but as you like Aberlour you'll love them. What batch number did you get?
Well just had to try it didn't we....like a couple of kids on Christmas morning :D
A'bunadh.........:beerchug:
Hubbys reaction - neat ........"quite nice actually, good kick "
Mine - neat..... preferred the 10 yr. Old single malt.
Add a couple of minims of water............WOW !
Whole different taste....we both loved it.........thanks for the recommendation. :notworthy2:
Off to Morrisons/Sainsburys now and hope they still have some of the glenmorangie.
Bill says he's going to ban me from the thread....:eek: taking a liking to whisky :mad: :swear2:
Jude

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Well just had to try it didn't we....like a couple of kids on Christmas morning :D
A'bunadh.........:beerchug:
Hubbys reaction - neat ........"quite nice actually, good kick "
Mine - neat..... preferred the 10 yr. Old single malt.
Add a couple of minims of water............WOW !
Whole different taste....we both loved it.........thanks for the recommendation. :notworthy2:
Off to Morrisons/Sainsburys now and hope they still have some of the glenmorangie.
Bill says he's going to ban me from the thread....:eek: taking a liking to whisky :mad: :swear2:
Jude
:D

Glad you liked it - yes the water certainly helps opening it up given its over 50% abv (this is ALWAYS a good thing- you can water down but can't make it stronger).

The Glenmorangie is worth getting. The whisky has been allowed to rest in both sherry (same as aberlour) and bourbon casks which tones down the spiciness but brings different levels of sweetness to it (think vanilla).

I'm really glad you enjoyed the A'bundah as much as I do (I must get another few bottles) I'm visiting the distillery in just over a week and I can't wait..!! :)

Btw - have you tried the 16...?! :LOL:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Is it a bit cheeky to suggest a get-together after Xmas for some whisky sampling? Perhaps a weekend in the Peak District with a bottle or two each to share? Tasting guidance / ideas from @TheWM ?

(Mid March would be ideal for me (having a hand op in Jan and won't be out of the cast until the end of Feb earliest).)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back