Whisky fans - Lidl do it again (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
Ok im back and can still type :)

Now Ben 22 is also taken with ice 3 cubes to be precise

This one has a very distinct aroma, im not sure what maybe oak

It also leaves a definite after taste at first i likened it to a mild cleaning fluid, not that i drink a lot of cleaning fluid mind :)
Now the ice has half melted it has mellowed but still has a bit of an after taste but not cleaning fluid now but im not sure what it is, but its not unpleasant.

I think this one will have to grow on me :)

Sounds like an iodine type note that you get in some peaty whiskies :)

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
"TheWM, post: What have you tried, and what is it that you don't like? My guess is your palate is not used to whisky as bitterness and burn is often an indication that someone is new to whisky and the palate is reacting to the alcohol rather than enjoying the subtle aromas and flavors that lie beneath.
The older I get, and the more I appreciate the finer things in life (and more to the point - I can afford them) - I enjoy a decent whisky/gin/wine.
What a very enlightening post thank you for your tasting notes. Bill loves a good malt visited many distilleries in Scotland and made many (y) purchases but I could never understand the attraction until I tasted Aberlour. Now he's not allowed to touch that one :whistle: so maybe Santa may just bring him one or two replacements. :clap2:
Jude

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
I love an Aberlour. Have you tried the A'Bundah? Shop around and you should be able to get it under £35. It is a true thing of beauty.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Ahh that sounds like a good description

I agree with you, at least if i cut myself i will self sterilize :D sorry couldn't resist.

I've used whisky for medicinal reasons on more than one occasion..!

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
I've used whisky for medicinal reasons on more than one occasion..!
I blame my dad for my love whisky, he used to rub it on my gums if I had toothache!
I prefer a nice malt with the tiniest splash of water sipped slowly nowadays. Still got all me own
teeth too!

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I let the ice melt a bit (y):)
Ice changes the smell and taste too much for my liking; I find that the subtle aromas are lost. Have you tried it with just a few drops of water?

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Ice changes the smell and taste too much for my liking; I find that the subtle aromas are lost. Have you tried it with just a few drops of water?

This.

Most of the big distilleries target as big a market share as they can and they know that most of the consumers will be either drinking their entry level whiskies over ice or with a mixer so they don't go out of their way to make it any better than they have to to get away with it. Most of the major blends are designed to be mixers or consumed on ice which is why most of them are pretty naff, you don't need it to be complex or very good if you are drowning it...you just want a "whisky" taste to whatever you are mixing it with. This is the same with breweries who make mass marketed lager that is designed to be drunk as close to zero degrees as possible, cause otherwise it tastes awful!

In terms of "opening up" whisky, including ice will do nothing more than closing it up. Lower it's temperature will restrict the movement of the volatile compounds in the whisky so you'll lose the nose. You palate will have to work harder to warm it up in your mouth so the aromas can go through your soft palate (most of our taste is our smell).

Adding ice also dilutes over time, making the mouthfeel of the whisky lighter, actually maximum viscous synergy in an alcohol (ethanol)/water mixture is reached at 46% abv, any lower or any higher and it drops off.

.....so adding ice is basically stopping the nose, restricting the flavour and ruining the texture of the whisky in the mouth
icon_biggrin.gif

Each to their own though, it's drunk how it's drunk (just steer clear from using ice ;) )

As you say - water (small drops) added to whisky is what 'should' be used, in fact when professionals are doing tasting tests they have to add water to release flavours that have been trapped in molecules. In some cases it transforms whiskies to a whole new level (especially older higher ABV numbers).

As it happens I spent the first couple of years always drinking whisky with water. Then I manned up a bit and decided I wanted to let the hairs grow on my chest :D I rarely drink with water now (even though I should to get those additional flavours) even when I ought to - (see bruichladdich x4 quadrupled whisky which was 92%).

But my best mate drinks his scotch with ice despite my protestations and we haven't fallen out (yet). Although he promises to try and be good when we go to Scotland in a couple of weeks.

I'd recommend that all drinks cabinets carry a water jug, they are pretty neat and are perfect for small drops of water a couple of mine are shown in the pic.

image.jpeg

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Blimey looks like I'm a proper heathen
I will try the water then, does it have to be bottled stuff or the rubbish that comes out of the tap

Nice write up

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Blimey looks like I'm a proper heathen
I will try the water then, does it have to be bottled stuff or the rubbish that comes out of the tap

Nice write up

Now - this is another 'how long is a piece of string' question. I'll try to keep it brief, but factors that you should take into consideration are the hardness of the water in your area together with the fact that tap water has chlorine and fluoride in which will react in differing ways with the whisky.

Ideally- you would want some water that was used originally in the production of the whisky (for most Scotch that would be spring water from Highlands).

But, to save arsing about, I find that filtered tap water is fine. In fact water straight from the tap is also fine but may differ in terms of consistency wherever you may happen to be.

Last edited:

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Well im no whisky expert and im probably going to regret say this but i do like a good quality single malt with peppermint cordial:imoutahere::moon2: something i inherited from me dear old Dad:notworthy2: Oh and i also like Baileys Lesleyjean:cooler:
Brian & Jo

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Well im no whisky expert and im probably going to regret say this but i do like a good quality single malt with peppermint cordial:imoutahere::moon2: something i inherited from me dear old Dad:notworthy2: Oh and i also like Baileys Lesleyjean:cooler:
Brian & Jo

Now - I do like a whisky cocktail but I can honestly say that is not something I have ever come across!!! :)

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
My neighbour is from Aberdeen, he won't have anything in his whisky. He's a true Scotsman too, I know because he came to my new years eve party in his kilt and was proud too prove it:eek:

I digress, my water jug - from Greece and my water is straight from the tap
IMG_20151115_115031.jpg

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Brian & Jo
Can I swap your good quality single malt for one of the whisky bottles that I have acquired - peppermint will be great with it .....

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
My neighbour is from Aberdeen, he won't have anything in his whisky. He's a true Scotsman too, I know because he came to my new years eve party in his kilt and was proud too prove it:eek:

I digress, my water jug - from Greece and my water is straight from the tap
View attachment 83072

I visited the Talisker distillery and, having tasted a sample and said that I wasn't impressed, was advised to add a little water; the taste was transformed and I really enjoyed it. Apparently, many are designed to be drunk with water.

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
We visited the strathisla distillery couple of years ago, it was closed but the lady happily showed us around, gave us free samples. It's a lovely distillery. We bought some singletons and some nosing glasses.
She said they were reopening and extending the old chivas regal building nearby as whisky had become very popular. Always take mine with splash of water.:beerchug:

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Just had a look at Aberlour A'Bunadh, some of those are incredibly strong, so definitely require some aqua:rolleyes:

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Just had a look at Aberlour A'Bunadh, some of those are incredibly strong, so definitely require some aqua:rolleyes:

I wouldn't disagree - but it doesn't actually feel that strong, or perhaps that's just me :whistle:

I used to think that higher strength numbers were better value as you could water them down a touch, thus getting bank for your buck as your bottle lasts longer. Until you start dramming it straight....

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
I wouldn't disagree - but it doesn't actually feel that strong, or perhaps that's just me :whistle:

I used to think that higher strength numbers were better value as you could water them down a touch, thus getting bank for your buck as your bottle lasts longer. Until you start dramming it straight....
Got my delivery of two bottles today courtesy of Oc*d*. Not quite the price you quoted, but after £20 off for first order then another £15 for cock up with order, pretty close:LOL: One present down only another few to get :whistle:
Jude

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Got my delivery of two bottles today courtesy of Oc*d*. Not quite the price you quoted, but after £20 off for first order then another £15 for cock up with order, pretty close:LOL: One present down only another few to get :whistle:
Jude
Did I ever tell you that you are a great friend? My favourite in fact. I'll pm you my new address just in case you were planning on sending a gift to my old address ;)

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Jude

:) do I get an introduction fee (bottle)?! I hope you enjoy them, but as you like Aberlour you'll love them. What batch number did you get?

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
:) do I get an introduction fee (bottle)?! I hope you enjoy them, but as you like Aberlour you'll love them. What batch number did you get?
Batch 52.:Eeek:
What kind of difference does it make ?????????? :beerchug: :clap2: :blush: :pray2: :rofl: :getmecoat:

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Batch 52.:Eeek:
What kind of difference does it make ?????????? :beerchug: :clap2: :blush: :pray2: :rofl: :getmecoat:

Each batch has slight variances, given they use different casks in the 'blend'* but batch 52 is a good one (to be fair, I've not had a bad batch, or know anyone that has).

*strictly speaking this is not a blend at all, it is a single malt, made from blending malts from the same distillery, of differing ages.

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
In other news, the 'best' whisky in the world for 2015 has been announced today by self appointed whisky guru, Jim Murray. If you can get a bottle or two (and want to make a quick buck), do so as the prices will rocket. It is a Canadian number which is pretty cheap as it goes. Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye. I've not tried it, so can't comment, but the most recent Canadian whisky I've had, Tangle Ridge 10, is super tasty (it is actually blended with a bit of sherry) and if you like a sherried whisky, is a must to buy.

Interesting there are no whiskies from Scotland in the top 5:

1. Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye

2. Pikesville Straight Rye

3. Midleton Dair Ghaelach

4. William Larue Weller Bourbon (Bot.2014)

5. Suntory Yamazaki Mizunara (Bot.2014)

http://blog.thewhiskyexchange.com/2015/11/jim-murrays-whisky-bible-2016-the-winners/

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
OK - cracked open the cheapest the 22 year blended - £29.99. First impressions (and I don't normally do write ups, so forgive me):

Nose: Salted caramel, stewed figs/raisins/plums (can't quite pick it out), pears and some grassiness, faint notes of honey fading to citrus. Enticing and wants me to dig in further.

Palate: Smooth and an immediate sweetness which quickly leaves, turning to dark chocolate with woody tones, more citrus, getting quite a lot of oakiness. Some more plums.

Finish: A real pleasant numbness dead middle of the tongue that lingers, spicy like you've just had a chilli, dry saltiness comes back and a further hint of toffee and espresso.

This has actually surprised me as the 'bottom of the range'. There is a lot going on here at different times. The actual roundness of the whisky is something I have only experienced with older or matured whisky from warmer climates. I was expecting for the price to be a take it or leave it, but I would say it has elements of a Paul John brilliance (which comes from India), in fact going over some of my brief notes, it shares a lot of characteristics (citrus/woody/saltiness/caramel/spice).

Now here comes the real interesting part. My missus smelt it and straight away remarked - 'are you sure that's not rum'? Paul John is whiskey made from molasses, as rum is - make of that what you will but a big thumbs up to this.

Sorry this probably won't interest anyone, but I'm now really tempted to move 'up' to the 25 year old and see what joys that brings.
What a load of pretentious twaddle.

Its a drink
It smells of whisky
It tastes of whisky
It is whisky.

How can a drink taste and smell of all these things when it contains none of them, except in the drinkers imagination.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
What a load of pretentious twaddle.

Its a drink
It smells of whisky
It tastes of whisky
It is whisky.

How can a drink taste and smell of all these things when it contains none of them, except in the drinkers imagination.

What floats your boat?

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
I knew you would understand once it had been explained. ;) :)

Imagine what this guy is going to say when you explain to him that he should have just stuck to Bells!

Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back