Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
which one of these Victron controllers should i buy for 200W of solar , is the 15amp version enough , or would i benefit from getting the 20 amp version.
Battery bank will be a aprox 2 x 100ah of lead acid batteries.

Also why are the "Lower" amperage Victron controllers the only ones to have the extra the extra load connectors , for the likes of the cab battery etc. i DO NOT plan to use these connectors , is getting one of these controllers a negative or positive thing , would i bet better off going for the Victron 100/30 controller ?

15amp version

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302471930863?ul_noapp=true

or 20 amp version

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Victron-...432108?hash=item1cb36e432c:g:YRgAAOSwPAtbVzMz

or 30 amp version

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Victron-...m2144896b6f:g:LFoAAOSwxXRbWfDD&frcectupt=true

Last edited:

Misterg

Free Member
Dec 8, 2017
N Wales
Funster No
MH
Self build PVC
The 15 amp version will just about do the job provided the short circuit current of your panels is no more than 15 A (OK with higher voltage panels, or two "12V" panels in series, but not with 2 x "12V" in parallel). You *may* lose out very slightly in extremely favourable conditions around mid summer, but you probably wouldn't and that's when it least matters, anyway.

The 20A version would do it easily, no matter how the panels are connected, if the cost isn't a problem.

The 'load' output is mainly intended for use with solar powered lighting, pumps, etc. so is only relevant to typical installations of this sort (less than about 200 W, say). Not really relevant to what you want to do (it isn't a charging output, just a switchable power connection).

No advantage to the 30A controller unless you plan on expanding your solar in the future. It *may* have a slight efficiency penalty when compared to the 20A (haven't checked the specs of the 20A vs the 30A).

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@Misterg 20amp controller it is then, as I think I will be lucky to fit 200w on the MH roof due to space / sky lights, therefore I want it to be as efficient as possible.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Fitted the Victron 75/15 Blue Solar with Bluetooth so we can see whats going on with charging of the leisure batteries, and solar power from panels,using Victron app on our smartphone, negating the need for separate battery monitors to be wired in or situated above hab door as this would have been very difficult to achieve.
We have 1x 200 watt mono panel, charging 2 X 80 Amp Varta Gel batteries as thats what is supplied by Carthago. I thought at first they were low in amp/hours but then discovered they can be discharged much lower that lead acids without damage.
Very happy with performance and regular software updates from Victron app.
Les

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Found this one a little cheaper
https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/victron-smart-solar-10020-mppt-charge-controller.html
And then a bit cheaper using this

upload_2019-5-14_17-46-21.jpeg

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Fitted the Victron 75/15 Blue Solar with Bluetooth so we can see whats going on with charging of the leisure batteries, and solar power from panels,using Victron app on our smartphone, negating the need for separate battery monitors to be wired in or situated above hab door as this would have been very difficult to achieve.
We have 1x 200 watt mono panel, charging 2 X 80 Amp Varta Gel batteries as thats what is supplied by Carthago. I thought at first they were low in amp/hours but then discovered they can be discharged much lower that lead acids without damage.
Very happy with performance and regular software updates from Victron app.
Les
I was originally not going to bother to install a monitor ( victron 712 smart) as i was going to just use the victron smart solar mppt and just use the app, but then I realised surely this just monitors the solar input and not the battery output as that requires the battery shunt, as I want to be able to tell exactly what uses how much power etc.

Am I correct that this is not possible without the shunt / battery monitor.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I have used the 15a one with 200w solar for the last 2 years and never seen above 11a on the monitor. Wired in parallel.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I was originally not going to bother to install a monitor ( victron 712 smart) as i was going to just use the victron smart solar mppt and just use the app, but then I realised surely this just monitors the solar input and not the battery output as that requires the battery shunt, as I want to be able to tell exactly what uses how much power etc.

Am I correct that this is not possible without the shunt / battery monitor.
Yep correct, only need to know what the solar is doing for interest not much cop for monitoring the state of the battery.
If fitting the BMV have a look at the Votronic regulators every bit as good, slightly cheaper and made in Germany rather than China.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yep correct, only need to know what the solar is doing for interest not much cop for monitoring the state of the battery.
If fitting the BMV have a look at the Votronic regulators every bit as good, slightly cheaper and made in Germany rather than China.
I know a couple of people that have had failures with Victron controllers so Votronic would have been my suggestion if that had been the question;)

Martin

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
reason i'm now being drawn to the victron 712 battery monitor is due to the bluetooth app side of it ,,, but i suppose in reality id prob spend 95% of the time actually looking at the gauge anyway as apposed to turning bluetooth on , on my phone to check the data.

guess ill price up the votronic 250 solar regulator c/w the votronic battery monitor / shunt , versus the victron solar regulator c/w the victron battery monitor / shunt.

PS i take it the votronic battery monitor shows all the same info that the victron one does

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
On the BVM the app gives lot more info and easier to Sync.
Might be cheaper to the get the BVM 700 and seperate Bluetooth unit.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
On the BVM the app gives lot more info and easier to Sync.
Might be cheaper to the get the BVM 700 and seperate Bluetooth unit.
i think i seen on a youtube video that the inbuilt bluetooth uses less power , but then i could be dreaming lol

If i got the Victron BMV along with the Votronic 250 duo solar regulator , wouldn't i be able to see what the solar panels are doing via the BMV , or would i need a display for the votronic 250 duo solar regulator

Misterg

Free Member
Dec 8, 2017
N Wales
Funster No
MH
Self build PVC
If i got the Victron BMV along with the Votronic 250 duo solar regulator , wouldn't i be able to see what the solar panels are doing via the BMV

You'd only see the state of the battery - for example, if the solar is producing 3A and the fridge is using 3A then the BMV will show zero.

I find the display on the Victron MPPT app is really useful (it gives you 30 days of history showing max and min battery voltage, so you know if the solar is keeping up with demand). I have both the BMV712 and the MPPT75/15 smart solar regulator. I find the info from the solar regulator much more useful - if I were to only have one of them it would be the MPPT controller. All that I use the BMV for is the cab battery voltage and to satisfy my curiosity about the current draw of various things.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Actually just done some research about the energy consumption of the Victron BMV bluetooth and got this from the ebay listings
Bluetooth dongle
  • Current draw (not connected to a mobile device): < 1mA
  • Current draw (connected to a mobile device): < 2.5mA
BMV 712 with inbuilt bluetooth

Low power consumption 2,9 Ah per month (4 mA) at 12 V and 2,2 Ah per month (3 mA) at 24 V

OFC with the dongle you also have the power consumption to run the mon
You'd only see the state of the battery - for example, if the solar is producing 3A and the fridge is using 3A then the BMV will show zero.

I find the display on the Victron MPPT app is really useful (it gives you 30 days of history showing max and min battery voltage, so you know if the solar is keeping up with demand). I have both the BMV712 and the MPPT75/15 smart solar regulator. I find the info from the solar regulator much more useful - if I were to only have one of them it would be the MPPT controller. All that I use the BMV for is the cab battery voltage and to satisfy my curiosity about the current draw of various things.
Thanks mister that's exactly what I want to know, does anyone here know if the Votronic duo 250 mppt can be monitored via Bluetooth

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Screenshot_20190514-084431_Samsung Internet.jpg
have had this fitted, and i believe that hymer now offer it as a option.
Tell you everything going in and out of your batteries and the state of them.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I have not heard a bad word about Votronic so would bother testing an unknown name for the sake of £35 or whatever it is.

Martin

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@Stealaway thanks for the link, but I'd tend to agree with @funflair as I do want to make sure I get the most out of the limited solar that I will be able to install due to roof restrictions.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Am I right in reading Victron offer a 5 year warranty?? Does this apply to Thier solar controllers as well?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Iwas a tad naughty and used this
Overkill but cheap
Probably wouldn't have been cheap if you had got caught for import duty & vat sometimes even get caught rlfor customs agent charges.
Since getting caught once I don't buy anything over £15 (duty free limit) from China.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Am I right in reading Victron offer a 5 year warranty?? Does this apply to Thier solar controllers as well?
Yes, all their electronic stuff if 5 years, only their batteries have a shorter warranty, 2 years I think.

Cheeses

Free Member
May 2, 2018
Midlothian
Funster No
MH
Hymer PVC
Exp
Ages. Since April 2018
I put the victron 100/20 in a few weeks back with a 250w solar panel. Bluetooth app is very good on both Android and ios, so removed the need for a remote display for me. I've connected via my EBL30 to the leisure batteries and believe I could do cab battery from same connection...just no need for it. £140 via photonic universe on Amazon...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190517-171820.jpg
    Screenshot_20190517-171820.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 13

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I put the victron 100/20 in a few weeks back with a 250w solar panel. Bluetooth app is very good on both Android and ios, so removed the need for a remote display for me. I've connected via my EBL30 to the leisure batteries and believe I could do cab battery from same connection...just no need for it. £140 via photonic universe on Amazon...
Only shows you the solar input without a proper battery monitor you still don't know the state of your batteries.

Yes you can connect to the cab battery via the EBL but you need a dual output regulator like the Votronic or fit a Solar split charge relay or a Batterymaster.

Cheeses

Free Member
May 2, 2018
Midlothian
Funster No
MH
Hymer PVC
Exp
Ages. Since April 2018
Agreed, remote display was to tell me what's going on with solar. I got the impression Votronic do that via an additional physical display that is hard wired so preferred the app route.I do have an existing battery monitor as well...Ctek....not sure how accurate it is though TBH, so tend to rely on voltmeter.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back