Free Member
Feb 13, 2015
retford nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato MWB selfbuild
Exp
1 year
hi all, well which do I buy armitage or the hydra easylifter ? good points, bad points, I just don't know what to buy.
regards

Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
Can I firstly suggest you have a look at the entries under easylifter, this should give a feel for pro and cons. If however you have any supplementary questions please ask.
I have an easylifter and had it for over 4 years (10,000 miles) and would purchase again.
Happy motoring.

Reactions: f6c

Harco

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Atherstone
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7096+
Exp
20 yrs
Hi,
I bought a Hydra Easylifter for my 250 scooter last February, and have found it great.
I will say that I have found the main structure quite heavy when removing it to my store. I put this down to being 65 and not the fault of the Easylifter.
Used it all through the summer and would recommend anyone who have a large bike to transport, to buy one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PAT N PAUL

PAT N PAUL

Free Member
Feb 13, 2015
retford nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato MWB selfbuild
Exp
1 year
thanks for the reply's, is it a pain to strip down every time you arrive at a site ? were as the other one you just un hitch and store behind the van ? and away you go on the scooter.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
thanks for the reply's, is it a pain to strip down every time you arrive at a site ? were as the other one you just un hitch and store behind the van ? and away you go on the scooter.
Would you typically take it down on arrival at a site? I would have expected the Easylifter hydratrail to be left in situ, just lowered to get access to the bike/scooter?

Harco

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Atherstone
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7096+
Exp
20 yrs
I agree with your comments.
I left ours connected all the time we were on site. What I will say is once you have unloaded you bike, it's well worth raising the structure a little off the floor, especially if you're on grass.

Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
Like above I always leave it attached, as theres no need to remove, its not like MH needs to move. I also chain my bike to it when not in use, its chained to the MH.
Hope that helps.

Sep 2, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
I have easylifter scooter carrier advertised in the Forsale section. The only reason it's for sale is I need to upgrade to a system that can carry Honda deauville. I think you have van conversation so can understand question about how easy is it to take off, answer is a few minutes, less than five. I think there is demo on easylifter web site.

Chaumo

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
I was in the same position and ruled out the Hydratrail because of:
  • the difficulty performing a three point turn on returning to where I live
  • The mixed reviews
  • A ramp would be required anyway.
  • Cost
I have just bought (used) an Armitage side loading trailer. To be on the safe side as I don't know how it was used before, I have replaced the wheels, hubs, bearings and tyres so is as good as new. (Total about £100). I have yet to use it in anger but I note the following:
  • It is wide, so getting it in the garage requires some to-ing and fro-ing
  • It is heavier than I expected when lifting to manoeuvre but easy to push /pull
  • My Honda SH300 must go on it under power.
  • It can be loaded and unloaded unattached to motorhome
  • Takes up little space when stored on end
  • Quality build
Hope this helps

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Why would a ramp be a requirement of the Hydratrail? I can see a ramp being a nice to have as opposed to a requirement.

Chaumo

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
Why would a ramp be a requirement of the Hydratrail? I can see a ramp being a nice to have as opposed to a requirement.
From a personal point of view, I really wouldn't want to be messing about putting the Hydratrail on and off all the time. Additionally, as I understand it, (and I may well be wrong) until the wheels are put on, the weight is taken by the towbar albeit for a short period perhaps. Many towbars, including mine, limit the vertical downforce to 100kgs or less. As my bike is much heavier, I would just prefer a ramp and so avoid any over burdening of the towbar.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Chaumo wrote :-
I was in the same position and ruled out the Hydratrail because of:
  • the difficulty performing a three point turn on returning to where I live. I would have thought a 3 point turn was much easier with the Hydratrail than a conventional trailer - that's the whole point of them.
  • The mixed reviews Can't argue that there are mixed revues.
  • A ramp would be required anyway. I don't understand this.
  • Cost Yes, they are relatively expensive.
  • And :-
  • From a personal point of view, I really wouldn't want to be messing about putting the Hydratrail on and off all the time. Additionally, as I understand it, (and I may well be wrong) until the wheels are put on, the weight is taken by the towbar albeit for a short period perhaps. Many towbars, including mine, limit the vertical downforce to 100kgs or less. As my bike is much heavier, I would just prefer a ramp and so avoid any over burdening of the towbar. I really don't think that you understand how the Hydratrail works. There is an integral stand which takes the load when the wheels aren't in situ. Why would you want to be putting it on and off all the time?

Harco

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Atherstone
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7096+
Exp
20 yrs
All I can say is horses for courses.
If I can manage to use one at sixty five, loading a 171kg scooter on and off then anyone can

Chaumo

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
the difficulty performing a three point turn on returning to where I live. I would have thought a 3 point turn was much easier with the Hydratrail than a conventional trailer - that's the whole point of them.
Where space is tight, such as where I live, the added length on the vehicle creates a problem and as a result I find it preferable to just unhitch, that's all. And I did say I wouldn't want to be putting it on and off all the time.

Nov 23, 2015
Burwash, Horsham & The Dordogne
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016
We got ours done by PWS in Bournemouth. Has a ramp, is not connected to a towbar but onto the vans chassis. It can be physically removed from the van within 30 seconds, takes over 200 kgs and was cheaper than buying a trailer.. we have used it 3 times now, clears all the EuroTunnel slip roads, doesn't ground out (like some folks we have spoken too), and i can literally drive the scooter up the ramp, ready to strap down.. Great bit of kit..

Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
I put my easylifter on the tow bar the day before we go away and it stays there attached for the five weeks we are away, or is someone using their MH differently to me.
AS far as needing a ramp (not needed) just take one wheel off, leave the other on and haho ramp ! but as the load bed comes down to floor level unnecessary.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back