Which one? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 11, 2023
TA21 9HX, UK
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Hi all, newbie looking to buy a Moho, needing help and advice. We have had caravans and or narrowboats thus far, sold the boat, still got a Fendt caravan but cannot use it as our two Ukrainian refugee ladies elected to live in it rather than the house! So, decided to have a go with a motorhome.
Want do we want/need? I am 78 with arthritis in the old legs, other than that all ok.
We want a permanent bed, as large a shower as possible for me, a good sized kitchen, her indoors loves cooking, so full cooker, grill, oven and microwave fridge freezer etc. There are only two of us with two dogs so we don't need a large lounge, garage to store scooter/e bikes, plus all the usual stuff! I prefer wet heating, solar panels are a must, we intend to travel France etc, for months at a time, with UK weeks as well.
I have spent the last couple of weeks trawling the net, probably wrong time of year! The sort of thing that takes my fancy unfortunately is on the large side, 2007/8 (not prepared to pay for newer) Burstner elegance 821 or Frankia 840/8400 seem to be most available, so having got that far happy to be pointed elsewhere! The Frankia has at least two chassis types, Mercedes twin axle, Rwd with twin wheels, or Fiat/Alko tag axle Fwd, the dealers i have spoken to of course say the version they have in stock is the best, my head would say, right or wrong that Rwd should be better in slippy conditions, but the Merc manual/auto box,with neither clutch or fluid flywheel i am advised is power on and off, no feel, whereas the Fiat has either a manual with clutch, or a true auto box with fluid flywheel and traction control, the Merc suspension is supposedly a 'bit' wallowy, the tag axle better on motorways and crosswinds, but not so good in tight corners or slippy conditions, yet it has traction control, where on earth do i go to get genuine honest advise without vested interests. So many questions I know, but no answers, so far! Any and all advice appreciated.
Rgds
Mike.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I think you've got most of the major points covered. I wouldn't get too obsessed with axles either. The layout and spec of the van is more important. RWD is nice very occasionally, but you've got to live with the bigger step up every time you get in the van. Plenty of vans can carry the weight without tag.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mike the oldnut
Apr 11, 2023
TA21 9HX, UK
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
2007 Model year onwards, RWD Mercedes frankia with a true auto.

Had one, with lots of issues but miss it and would have another.

You can’t beat RWD with 4 wheels on rear axle.

Yes, the suspension can get a bit wallowy. But the 5ton has a lower chassis than the older 6 series.
What sort of mpg did you get? I am a Yorkshireman! Deep pockets, short arms 😥

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mike the oldnut
Apr 11, 2023
TA21 9HX, UK
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I think you've got most of the major points covered. I wouldn't get too obsessed with axles either. The layout and spec of the van is more important. RWD is nice very occasionally, but you've got to live with the bigger step up every time you get in the van. Plenty of vans can carry the weight without tag.
So, which would you recomend given my wishlist?

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
What sort of mpg did you get? I am a Yorkshireman! Deep pockets, short arms 😥
Here you go…
BAC3D01F-E7E6-45B5-949D-8CD4A54E0FD5.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mike the oldnut
Apr 11, 2023
TA21 9HX, UK
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Hi Folks, thanks for the likes, I have had one vote for a twin axle 'older' Mercedes, any other comments on 'which one' 2 axle, three axle, can we get the space we would like in a two axle unit, given our wishes, see original post?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mike the oldnut
Apr 11, 2023
TA21 9HX, UK
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Afternoon all, There are a few schools of thought out there, Mercedes or Fiat, given my budget I am looking at 2007/8 there appears to be a lot of likers of the 3L Ducato engine, especially given it has a chain driven cam, the only fault would appear to be a dodgy fuel filter housing cheaply replaced.
Any comments on that engine or the same period Mercedes?
Gearbox, manual or semi-auto, seems to be a lot of 'likers' for that as well despite the increased complexity, any issues with that?
I am also reading that some Ducato have a driveline judder, down to the Dual mass flywheel perhaps, is this prevalent on only some models, manual or auto or both?
Regards
Mike.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mike the oldnut
Apr 11, 2023
TA21 9HX, UK
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Hi Guigsy, my mrs has just told me where to respond! I understand, me am injuneer! from what I have seen on line and ones we have seen 8.4m ish appears to be the length, there are not too many two axle jobbies out there for sale that we have found, one negative is a higher floor level for the rwd option. We will use a scooter in the first instance, I like the big garage for that and all the other accouterments as well. Not too many folk on here appear to want to offer there perspective on what they think would be the best for our needs, I am a measure twice cut once king of guy!

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
I could be interested, petrol or diesel and running costs plus getting spare parts would be my initial thoughts, hit me with them Jev :)
You need to visit every second hand dealer you can of RV and motorhomes and decide what layout is best - Number one priority. That narrows things down a lot and then decide if you want to get into normal car parks (unlikely) or you want the amazing space in an RV - they are all very wide but as we say, if a lorry or bin wagon does the route so can we. I have 6.8litre V10 petrol but run it on LPG gas. 15-20mpg. Diesels average about the same.
For us, internal space is priority and so you just can't beat an RV and paid under £20K...

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Mike the oldnut
Apr 11, 2023
TA21 9HX, UK
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
You need to visit every second hand dealer you can of RV and motorhomes and decide what layout is best - Number one priority. That narrows things down a lot and then decide if you want to get into normal car parks (unlikely) or you want the amazing space in an RV - they are all very wide but as we say, if a lorry or bin wagon does the route so can we. I have 6.8litre V10 petrol but run it on LPG gas. 15-20mpg. Diesels average about the same.
For us, internal space is priority and so you just can't beat an RV and paid under £20K...
Hi Jez, we live in Somerset, limited number of rv dealers round here, plenty of park homes though! From what we have seen the Frankia 840/8400 and Burstner 821 seem to fit the bill, large garage for bikes or scooter, fixed double bed, separate shower and toilet, full fridge/freezer, big a kitchen as possible, dont need a large lounge as only us and two dogs, wet central heating, winterised, solar panels. We used to have a Landcruiser Amazon we ran on lpg, had our own tank and pump, whilst lpg is cheaper you do have factor in that you will use 20% more than petrol, how do you find the availability of lpg, service, spare parts etc in Europe?. Just a shame that you cannot hire these to try, you can only get the smaller ones!

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
LPG from local Flogas depot and currently five garages within 29 minutes drive. One will be removed soon.
Other places are putting in place but slowly like Marquis dealership and some taxi firms.

Empire RV not far from you?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mike the oldnut
Apr 11, 2023
TA21 9HX, UK
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
LPG from local Flogas depot and currently five garages within 29 minutes drive. One will be removed soon.
Other places are putting in place but slowly like Marquis dealership and some taxi firms.

Empire RV not far from you?
About 50 miles, i will check out their website

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
What about touring in europe?
LPG available far easier in Europe.
As for traveling around in an RV - best ask the RV owners that do it regularly (RVOC.co.uk is the sister site for Motorhome Fun, but quite a few are members of both forums). The previous owner of mine travelled every year to Portugal and Spain and back for months on end.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mike the oldnut
Apr 11, 2023
TA21 9HX, UK
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
LPG available far easier in Europe.
As for traveling around in an RV - best ask the RV owners that do it regularly (RVOC.co.uk is the sister site for Motorhome Fun, but quite a few are members of both forums). The previous owner of mine travelled every year to Portugal and Spain and back for months on end.
Morning Jev, I will ask, I wonder if they went to a 'place' then stayed there, I imagine everyday travelling is less than easy given the size and I guess the cost of running, maintenance, ready availability of spare parts etc might be difficult, I checked out the Empire RV website, the cheapest on there is £59k, too rich for me :-(
I am sure that the living space is magnificent for those who need it. I will pay them a visit

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Morning Jev, I will ask, I wonder if they went to a 'place' then stayed there, I imagine everyday travelling is less than easy given the size and I guess the cost of running, maintenance, ready availability of spare parts etc might be difficult, I checked out the Empire RV website, the cheapest on there is £59k, too rich for me :-(
I am sure that the living space is magnificent for those who need it. I will pay them a visit
I can only encourage you to view and sit in as many motorhomes (and RV) as possible and settle on layout first. If layout doesn't work for you then you will sell it and buy another :) If you want to move daily then perhaps something smaller is better. We take bikes, motorbike or tow-car depending on where we are going and what we want to do (spoiled for choice).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mike the oldnut
Apr 11, 2023
TA21 9HX, UK
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I can only encourage you to view and sit in as many motorhomes (and RV) as possible and settle on layout first. If layout doesn't work for you then you will sell it and buy another :) If you want to move daily then perhaps something smaller is better. We take bikes, motorbike or tow-car depending on where we are going and what we want to do (spoiled for choice).
Jev, we sort of know the layout we want, we have viewed a couple, but that is all there has been to actually see, there are next to none available, especially in the South West, there was a nice 08 Burstner elegance I821 last weekend but it was in High Wycombe, by the time I had manged to have a conversation with the seller deposit taken! what we are looking for appears scarce, and perhaps the wrong time of year. We used to go to France with our caravan, park up for a week, explore then move on, I cannot imagine moving every day, I envisage using either e-bikes, which we have or a scooter, one reason for wanting a garage.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back