Which national parks to visit? Spain Pyranees France. (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
We have just decided to change our route home (currently near Logrono Spain) and save the northern Spanish coast for next year. We enjoyed our tour in Foz de Lumbier (gorge walk) so much we want to explore the national parks as we feel we've had enough beach. However they seem to be a bit of a mixed bunch. One we couldn't find at all (the tourist centre and start of the hikes) despite sat nav taking us there. This was Urbasa y Andia outside Pamplona. Someone later told us it was closed but we couldn't imagine they would remove the signs building and everything!
So our confidence has been a bit shaken. We both have a terrible sense of direction and need to stick to a proper path so we dont get lost. We also love to let the dog off the lead. Can anyone personally recommend any of the national parks in the northern Spain Pyranees area for hiking ? Any tips much appreciated. We can't just plunge off into the brush!

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...FjAnegQIABAB&usg=AOvVaw2lPrTZFTU4cS7bOkIiEhgZ

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...FjAlegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw0G_-3L8HvHM4y8an-xLhyd

My two favourite national parks in the Pyrenees.

At this time of year you should be able to drive up to the parking at Ordessa (high season numbers are limited and buses used). Nice easy walk up the valley to the waterfall or a harder route up the Hunters path.

Aiguestortes has land rover taxis up into the Park proper but there is a nice walk up from the village of Espot or from the other side at Caldas de Boi.

From Ordesa the Bielsa tunnel is OK to cross into France and from Boi the Vielha tunnel. From Espot it's a lovely drive down the Val Ciaran.

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you Google "Cicerone guides Spain" you should find links to the guidebooks published by Cicerone. There are Kindle versions you can download though possibly not for all of them. There are other guidebooks available of course from other publishers.

Check local rules about letting dogs off leads! :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
As above...The Ordessa national park is stunning. We did the canyon walk, never seen a canyon like it. Big car park in nearby town, bus takes you to start of walk. We did the 'floor' of the canyon then returned along the top ridge. Absolutely beautiful. Took just under 6 hours but well worth it. No real steep sections reasonably straightforward.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks @jumartoo
Great to have personal tips.
The parcs are quite far apart
Do you mean visit the Aiguestortes one first then come back to Ordesa to then carry on home?

@DBK I appreciate the advice and I'll take a look but I can't follow guidebooks very well. They stress me out! I need clear visuals of where I am and easy paths to follow. Guide books tell you to turn left at a junction which I never find for example.

I'm afraid I always let husband do the route finding but since he has Parkinson's he's lost his excellent directional ability and I have to do this stuff. I enjoy it on the road with sat nav but I'm lousy at it on foot with books and maps.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
DSC_0445.JPG DSC_0465.JPG DSC_0470.JPG DSC_0490.JPG DSC_0501.JPG DSC_0504.JPG DSC_0508.JPG

Photies of the canyon walk Ordessa National Park

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
As above...The Ordessa national park is stunning. We did the canyon walk, never seen a canyon like it. Big car park in nearby town, bus takes you to start of walk. We did the 'floor' of the canyon then returned along the top ridge. Absolutely beautiful. Took just under 6 hours but well worth it. No real steep sections reasonably straightforward.
This sounds great but we have to take dog. Is this possible on the bus and on the hike do you think?

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
The other problem is that so many websites are Spanish even though I've changed the language to English it doesn't seem to work so that's why it's a bit harder to research I think

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Here is an extract from my blog of walk. Might be helpful, of course you don't have to do all of the walk. There is an excellent tourist information office in Boltana. The lady working there was exceedingly helpful in advising me about the walk, she virtually took me through every step, loads of info obtained from her including maps etc.
Yesterday we left the excellent Camping Boltana and arrived at the Torla free car park around 10am ready for the 5 hour walk through the canyon. We walked around the pretty mountainside town and found a couple of small supermarkets. We then bought the 4.50e return bus tickets that would take us to the Entrance of the Ordesa National Park (cars are forbidden to use this road in the summer), We sat at the front of the bus watching it fill up with a variety of people. Most people were kitted out well but one or two got on with open toe sandals and worryingly a few people had trouble making the two steps on to the bus.
The first hour of the walk took us through mainly woodland, with opportunities to briefly leave the main path and use the observation platforms to view the wonderful waterfalls. Then the path opened up into meadows with the full view of the canyon clearly visible. We reached the valley ending in good time, two and a half hours and after a quick break decided to return via the more difficult and longer Faja de Pelay. This took us across the river to the other side of the valley were we had to climb the steep ascent almost to the top of the valley. Then the path levelled off until the final descent, the most difficult part where we looked directly down at the bus stop, I estimated 20 minutes for the descent…it took 75 minutes and was the most difficult part of the walk as it was mainly walking on rocks and boulders from avalanches. Eventually we made it to the bus completing the walk in exactly 6 hours.
We then drove the 15 miles to Camping Gavin, a quick shower and straight to the restaurant for a 15 euro, 3 course meal of the day (bottle of wine included in price).

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Thanks @jumartoo
Great to have personal tips.
The parcs are quite far apart
Do you mean visit the Aiguestortes one first then come back to Ordesa to then carry on home?

@DBK I appreciate the advice and I'll take a look but I can't follow guidebooks very well. They stress me out! I need clear visuals of where I am and easy paths to follow. Guide books tell you to turn left at a junction which I never find for example.

I'm afraid I always let husband do the route finding but since he has Parkinson's he's lost his excellent directional ability and I have to do this stuff. I enjoy it on the road with sat nav but I'm lousy at it on foot with books and maps.

No, not to visit both but to choose one of my favourites.

You may be able to drive up to the parking at this time of year but you'll find out at the village.

This looks incredible
Thanks so much!

You'd "do" Ainsa before using the Bielsa tunnel.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back