Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Jeez,

Just noticed that Amazon have broken through the £300 barrier for a 100Ah Lithium.

Regardless of past history for the brand, (whatever it is) Amazon's customer service is usually beyond criticism.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Jeez,

Just noticed that Amazon have broken through the £300 barrier for a 100Ah Lithium.

Regardless of past history for the brand, (whatever it is) Amazon's customer service is usually beyond criticism.
Do you have a link Derek?
Cheapest I can find is £379.

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Anyone have any thoughts or experience of lead carbon agm?
Yes.

Very Good. I have been running 3 x 100Ah Lead Carbon AGM for the last 2 years in my Motorhome.

Before that I was running 3 x 210Ah Lead Carbon AGMs in my Gas-free campervan, using electric water heating and electric cooking. Ran those for around 2 years until I sold the Camper, and these were bought 2nd hand from a fellow motorhomer who had ran them in his Hymer for a couple of years, and he bought them 2nd hand himself (ex medical-installation Batteries, where batteries are replaced on age, not use).

All these batteries have performed as required and superior to standard Lead Acid.

Nope but they are not a lot cheaper than Lithium and anything to do with AGM I steer clear of.
In terms of price, at the time I bought them my 300Ahs worth of Lead Carbon AGM cost 3/4 the price of a single 100Ah Lithium Battery. Given you can discharge Lead Carbon to a similar level as Lithium, I see that as very good value.

For those with a phobia of AGM (I don't have any such phobia) you can get Lead Carbon Gel batteries for around the same price. I will be ordering 320Ah worth of Lead Carbon Gel Batteries in January at a retail price of £500. That is very competitive against a base level 100Ah Lithium at a minimum cost of £400 and offers at least twice the usuable capacity of that Lithium battery.

If someone cannot afford Lithium, and all that is needed to support it (State of Charge Monitors, potentially updated Split-Charge, Solar and EHU chargers), then Lead Carbon - either Gel or AGM - is a much better option to go for then standard Lead Acid. The cost uplift of Lead Carbon over DECENT Lead Acid (as opposed to bargain basement tat) is between 10-20% and you can continue with the same chargers and even just a Voltmeter if you have to. The upfront cost uplift for Lithium is significantly more.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I have three lead carbon gel batteries fitted, they've only been in a year but I've had no issues with them so far, link below but currently out of stock. One of the reasons for choosing these is the lead carbon AGM batteries data sheet says charging from 0 C whereas these gel versions can be charged from -20 C. By the way if you are buying more then one battery from Alpha it's worth ringing them and asking for a discount I got quite a few pounds off when I bought mine.

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
I have three lead carbon gel batteries fitted, they've only been in a year but I've had no issues with them so far, link below but currently out of stock. One of the reasons for choosing these is the lead carbon AGM batteries data sheet says charging from 0 C whereas these gel versions can be charged from -20 C. By the way if you are buying more then one battery from Alpha it's worth ringing them and asking for a discount I got quite a few pounds off when I bought mine.

Just a little comment to pre-empt the "but it says ...." comments: the link says '...agm-lead-carbon...' but these ARE Gel Lead Carbon batteries (Alpha decided to switch this battery from the AGM version to the Gel version but reused the same URL).
This is the same battery I am getting a couple of for a Transit but in the 160Ah size. I think the 110Ah will be back in stock in January when the 160Ah also arrives.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Can I buggery!!!

I'll keep my ear out because in the search I included 100Ah.

Watch this>>>>>(................) Space.
Don't know what the tech word is but you know when you put something into Google and it gives a strip of similar products.
It was on that and I clicked it because it said 'Amazon' That took me to Amazon. I wonder if, as a result of that, Amazon either sold out or have the Algorythm to check/Remove/ go fishing for responses. I wouldn't put it past them.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Hello everyone,
We are newbys on this forum and we are hoping for some help choosing leisure batteries. We do over half our camping off grid and from what we have read we should look for AGM batteries with an A rating from NCC and ideally over 100ah.
The two Banner 58001 80ah batteries which fit very snugly under the fixed drivers seat of our Fiat Ducato van conversion need replacing. They appear to be AGM Leisure batteries and NCC give them a C rating (not ideal but better than no rating) but suggest they will provide 350 50% life cycles (which seems quite good).
Our problem is finding replacement AGM batteries that will fit the limited space under our drivers seat. We have not found any NCC A rated batteries that will fit. So far we have found the following options -

https://advancedbatterysupplies.co.uk/product/advanced-agm-lp100-leisure-battery-100ah-12v/ This Advanced LP85 AGM battery will fit, it appears to be AGM and is 100ah .. but has no NCC rating or info on life cycles. I was not impressed when I phoned them for more info.

This dual purpose Fisch 110-AGM Leisure and Marine Battery 12V 110AH may just fit, and is 110ah .. but has no NCC rating. It states 300 life cycles.

This dual purpose Fuller Powerstation 110-AGM Leisure Battery 12V 110AH may also just fit, but again has no NCC rating. It states 500 life cycles.

On the face of it the Fuller is the best bet if it does give 500 life cycles and if we can find an extra 2mm length (!!) under our seat but we can find little independent information about any of these makes of battery. We would be very grateful to hear from anyone who knows of them and also for any advice that might help us. Our fallback option is to buy Banner 58001 batteries again.

Many thanks.
Don't be put off choosing AGM batteries because of some biased views against them by one or more members.
There are some newish AGM leisure batteries out there that have some very impressive performance ratings and you may wish to consider the Leoch Pure Carbon batteries. The PLH-C 100 is reported as having thousands of life cycles and a very short charging time and can safely be discharged by 80 %. It also has a similar charging profile of a standard lead acid battery.

Attachments

• Leoch Data Sheet.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 5

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back