Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2010
Hello everyone,
We are newbys on this forum and we are hoping for some help choosing leisure batteries. We do over half our camping off grid and from what we have read we should look for AGM batteries with an A rating from NCC and ideally over 100ah.
The two Banner 58001 80ah batteries which fit very snugly under the fixed drivers seat of our Fiat Ducato van conversion need replacing. They appear to be AGM Leisure batteries and NCC give them a C rating (not ideal but better than no rating) but suggest they will provide 350 50% life cycles (which seems quite good).
Our problem is finding replacement AGM batteries that will fit the limited space under our drivers seat. We have not found any NCC A rated batteries that will fit. So far we have found the following options -

https://advancedbatterysupplies.co.uk/product/advanced-agm-lp100-leisure-battery-100ah-12v/ This Advanced LP85 AGM battery will fit, it appears to be AGM and is 100ah .. but has no NCC rating or info on life cycles. I was not impressed when I phoned them for more info.

This dual purpose Fisch 110-AGM Leisure and Marine Battery 12V 110AH may just fit, and is 110ah .. but has no NCC rating. It states 300 life cycles.

This dual purpose Fuller Powerstation 110-AGM Leisure Battery 12V 110AH may also just fit, but again has no NCC rating. It states 500 life cycles.

On the face of it the Fuller is the best bet if it does give 500 life cycles and if we can find an extra 2mm length (!!) under our seat but we can find little independent information about any of these makes of battery. We would be very grateful to hear from anyone who knows of them and also for any advice that might help us. Our fallback option is to buy Banner 58001 batteries again.

Many thanks.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi David and Judy
Just to let you know that you aren't being ignored. Your post has only just this minute gone live. We manually check and approve new members' first few posts that have links within just to ensure they are not spammers. Your post was just approved; people can see it now (y) Thanks.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi David and Judy

Welcome to Fun,

Re batteries, you won't find many fans of AGM batteries on here I'm afraid, other than the physical size the next thing you need to check is what your charger will charge, if it has a Gel setting I would go for those unless you really want to splash some cash and go LiFePO4.

I believe that a good guide to a decent battery is it's weight and for example an Exide 80ah ES900 Gel battery weighs 27kg compared the the 100ah example you have highlighted that is a mere 23kg so what's missing? ;) they have also managed to get all this power into a smaller case than Exide who in my book know a thing or two about batteries. Of course Gel's are more expensive but I think you get what you pay for.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
:welc:

You'll find that many funsters don't like AGM. The claimed and actual performance are often markedly different. Interestingly the Banner site suggests your current batteries are orientated to Stop Start engine use, rather than leisure. Stop start is likely to involve lots of high loads for very short periods. Leisure use requires prolonged gradual discharge followed by a recharge.

The next issue is depth of discharge itself. The traditional lead-acid batteries can only be used to around 1/2 their full capacity. Yes you can use more but the battery lifespan will be diminish and full discharge very likely to be damaging. You also need to look at the rate of discharge. More expensive than lead-acid or AGM is GEL and those can usually be taken down to around 20% of capacity, with higher loads. GEL can be the happy medium.

The "mutts nuts" has to be Lithium. That can stand lots of deep discharges, often at higher loads. It comes at a cost. But, for some one larger LifeP04 might offer the capacity and load, that for the space (and weight) needed it is a better deal than the batteries needed from Lead-Acid, AGM or even GEL.

With any battery you need to be sure your charger systems - engine, electric hook up (EHU), solar, are compatible. Some chargers will have settings that can be altered to suit the battery type. If off gridding, the rate of recharge will be important, be it solar or engine. Just driving for 1/2 hour isn't going to restore a heavy discharge. Just as you have a discharge rate on a battery it also has a recharge rate, and appropriate voltages look after the battery.

Would one big battery fit better than trying to get two small batteries into the space?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi welcome, i dont have the deep pockets needed for LifeP0 batteries so i favor Gel over wet lead acid or AGM which are primarily designed for stop start vehicle use.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Another vote for Exide gel batteries 👍 I took the advice on here and our new gel battery is awesome 🤩

w2f

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:

Firstly forget about the NCC approved battery list it is total boll*cks they do not test the batteries just rely on the manufacturer's figures. If you use the forum search there are several threads about how useless the scheme is.

AGM batteries are really bad news for leisure use and Banners are the worst, they are not suitable for leisure use.

Depending on the options on your charger are will determine what type of battery you can fit. I take it you need a low profile battery.

If your charger supports Gel they would be the best option either an Exide ES 900 or Sonnenschein GF12065Y, almost identical spec & both made in the Sonnenschein factory.

If it doesn't support Gel it should support Flooded Cells and a good option there would be a Varta LDF90.

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
Exactly what Lenny HB said above, ignore the NCC advice

But if you fancy some late night reading before making your decision

I've used a pair of Varta LDF90's on my previous van without issues, and only went with an efb battery on my current van as I only have space for one.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
the varta is a very good battery but will need venting and may not be suitable for underseat location.

OP
OP
D

David and Judy

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for all the replies so far. After all the articles we have read we are surprised to see the negative comments about AGM batteries which we thought allowed more discharge. We have considered Gel but it is also difficult to find Gel batteries that will fit under our seat.
The dimensions need to be within 317mm long, 175mm wide and 190mm high so the Exide ES900 is too long. Also worth mentioning we have a single solar panel.

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for all the replies so far. After all the articles we have read we are surprised to see the negative comments about AGM batteries which we thought allowed more discharge. We have considered Gel but it is also difficult to find Gel batteries that will fit under our seat.
The dimensions need to be within 317mm long, 175mm wide and 190mm high so the Exide ES900 is too long. Also worth mentioning we have a single solar panel.

AGM's have fallen out of favour as no one was told about their specific charging requirements

You can fit a pair of Varta LDF60's in the space you've available

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Are you sure about that as the 3 batteries I mentioned are all 353mm long and loads of manufacturers fit them under Fiat Ducato seats.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
not wanting to hyjack the thread but which exide and size did you buy and where from please?
The 80ah one 🤔 has a new name now, maybe the ES900 I think. Got it from Tayna batteries mail order for about 170 👍

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Hello and welcome😊
Of course if you are not strapped for cash you could consider lithium ? But that is very expensive.😊

OP
OP
D

David and Judy

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2010
Are you sure about that as the 3 batteries I mentioned are all 353mm long and loads of manufacturers fit them under Fiat Ducato seats.
It's possible one of those might fit, but I'm pretty sure 2 won't

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Try batterymasters for a LiFePO4 replacement. They are more expensive but work out cheaper in the long run, for leisure batteries, as they are true deep-discharge units and can be recharged from deep discharge many many times. They also weigh about half of the equivalent lead-based alternatives and there are no gassing issues.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Try batterymasters for a LiFePO4 replacement. They are more expensive but work out cheaper in the long run, for leisure batteries, as they are true deep-discharge units and can be recharged from deep discharge many many times. They also weigh about half of the equivalent lead-based alternatives and there are no gassing issues.
They also can be fitted on their sides or ends.. Therefore maybe allowing you fit a larger one than you could a conventional battery... Even maybe squeeze two in if you need that much power and are prepared to fork out that much for them.

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
These Varta and Bosch batteies are the size you are looking at and AGM.

Many on here do not like AGM, but we had 2 Leoch AGM batteries for nearly 5 years while full timing in our van. We very rarely used hook up and relied on solar, but, we did have a dedicated AGM charge setting on the Votronic solar regulator.

AGM need to be charged at up to 14.7/14.8v and will give good service if charged correctly. Most motorhome onboard chargers do not provide this.

I would have AGM batteries again. 😎

Edit - just found this made by Leoch and just a few mm smaller. 👍

Last edited:

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
BTW, if you become paid members you’ll be able to post more than the maximum 5 as free members. It is worth the subscription and you also get access to the online monthly magazine.

Nov 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Laika ecovip i400
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a new leisure battery as mine is shot.

I don't know if my charger supports gel or not. How would I know? I would be mainly charging it via the solar and driving through the alternator

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Your solar controller/regulator will have selector key / keys depending upon what model it is.
It will be visible externally on the controller.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hey guys,

I don't know if my charger supports gel or not. How would I know? I would be mainly charging it via the solar and driving through the alternator
Tell us the charger make & model.
Your solar controller/regulator will have selector key / keys depending upon what model it is.
It will be visible externally on the controller.
Only on some, CBE chargers which are fitted to a lot of vans you have to remove the cover to select battery type.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Hey guys,

I like Hankook

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back