Which ISP do you use in the moho ? (1 Viewer)

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
I’ve got the huawei 5573 modem in the Moho at the moment, I did have “3” but I weren’t too happy with them so I cancelled the service, I’m now looking for a replacement ISP, any ideas 💡? I only require data, not interested in text or telephone, tia

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
At the end of the day you only have a choice of 4 mobile phone networks.
No matter where you go in the UK some will always be better than others.
Been to many fun rallies where some get great coverage on one network and others get poor reception. Move to another location and it can be reversed.

OP
OP
bigalw35
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Why weren't you happy with Three?
I accept that there are good and bad reception areas, but I used to find most of the bad areas for 3 ? .. I did forget to say I will only be using it for an iPad, possibly a laptop

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
EE. 20 quid a month unlimited calls and texts plus 100gb. Happy with the service especially in fairly remote places. Have it hooked up to a Maxview Roam high gain antenna. I have a neos camera set up in front of the Victron monitor that is set to scroll through the different displays. I can log in and check the status of leisure and van batteries. Tried the same set up with 3 but wasn't happy with the service in remote areas.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
If you're planning on using it abroad then vodafone and voxi allow you to use your whole data allowance (apart from the unlimited plans!). Or vodafone do a 60gb data-only sim for £22

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210308-200908_Edge.jpg
    Screenshot_20210308-200908_Edge.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 10
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yeah Vodafone for me, got a real special deal , Currys staff through my son (y) works everywhere IV been here and Europe, never run out of signal or WiFi.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I used 12 month or 24 month duration pre-loaded SIMs from Three in my Mifi.. Not used the motorhome for a while so the one I have in there has now run out because of time. I have still got a couple that I have not yet started so will use them up when we start up again. I have not had any real problems with Three both in the UK and Europe.

Not sure what I will use in the future. The data market has changed and become much cheaper in the last couple of years. I now have a monthly rolling contract for my phone SIM with Smarty (owned by Three) that gives me 30Gb per month in the UK or 20GB if in Europe for a tenner. If both wife and I have a contract with them that will probably be enough for all our needs when we are away as we do not use much streaming, so may not use the Mifi much. If you use the link I have given above to join Smarty we will both get a free month.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Another 2yr sim 3 user but the kevenhs' motorhoming started the autumn of 2019 so it's been pretty effected by COVID.
I've used giffgaff before 3. Both have been OK for what mifi our travel has needed.
I've a 2nd 2yr 3 sim to use - soon I hope :eek: (opportunity to use I mean)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Have a look on the following sites which offer deals at a great discounted rate, if you're prepared to do cashback (ie submit your bills every now and then), it can be extremely cheap. I recently got a sim (unlimited texts & calls & 12gb data) for my Mum which after cashback will be £2 a month for 12 months!

We've got Vodafone sims which give 100gb a month, unlimited texts & calls costing £8 a month for 2 years (cashback).

www.mobile.co.uk - the price shown is after cashback
www.fonehouse.co.uk - the price shown is before cashback is deducted so you have to take it off yourself to find the true monthly price

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Am i so far behind the times ?

I just use my phone and laptop or telly links to the phone. Dont watch too much whilst away and think we only went over 1GB when line of duty had to be watched abroad

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Am i so far behind the times ?

I just use my phone and laptop or telly links to the phone. Dont watch too much whilst away and think we only went over 1GB when line of duty had to be watched abroad
Same here, we use our phones for internet all the time as we don't have any other broadband/internet connection at all, works fine for us but some do like to use mifis.

OP
OP
bigalw35
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Many thanks to all of you that have submitted replies, I will give them all some thought. As its only for the Moho I don't really want a contract as we probably only use the Moho for about 6 months or so a year (2020 accepted). I use it in the mifi because sometimes I take the laptop

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I just use my phones Plusnet connection 8gb/month they use EE and it's usually fast. I found three to be slow in Spain.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
When I bought my Mifi setup data was very expensive on mobile phones and especially in Europe where we do most of our motorhoming. It made good sense to get a Mifi and then use prepaid preloaded SIMs either from the likes of Three or a local supplier such as NOS in Portugal, who were offering unlimited data SIMs at 1 Euro per day. But things have changed and data deals are better.

Nowadays the only real advantage of using a Mifi over your phone is when you are in an area with poor signal, as the MIMO aerial gives the Mifi a much better signal. As we tend to wander off the beaten tracks we do sometimes come across such areas and that is why we are keeping our Mifi. But the case for buying a new Mifi setup now is not as strong as it used to be, unless you have a high demand for data such as long periods of streaming TV programmes.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Many thanks to all of you that have submitted replies, I will give them all some thought. As its only for the Moho I don't really want a contract as we probably only use the Moho for about 6 months or so a year (2020 accepted). I use it in the mifi because sometimes I take the laptop
Have you looked into getting more data on your phone instead for when you go away, such as an 'add-on'? Might work out better for your type of usage and you can then just link to it with your laptop, not having to remember to take your mifi and/or get a sim beforehand then.

OP
OP
bigalw35
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Have you looked into getting more data on your phone instead for when you go away, such as an 'add-on'? Might work out better for your type of usage and you can then just link to it with your laptop, not having to remember to take your mifi and/or get a sim beforehand then.
I do have a phone, but the screen is too small for me and I’d sooner use a larger keyboard, like the laptop, but thanks for the info

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I do have a phone, but the screen is too small for me and I’d sooner use a larger keyboard, like the laptop, but thanks for the info
I believe Minxy Girl was suggesting that you should tether your phone to your laptop, I do it all the time.

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
To be clear, your phone can generate WiFi just like a MiFi does, so the laptop will connect to it. If you find Hotspot and Tethering in the settings you can turn it on, give it a name you recognise and set up a password. (That's Android, no idea what iThingys do.)

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
We are on 3, pre-pay internet with legs

We are low users and wont be going abroad, your usage may be different

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
The issue I find with tethering is battery drain. I've recently upgraded my phone so when allowed to travel again it will be instructive to see if that is better....

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Have a look on the following sites which offer deals at a great discounted rate, if you're prepared to do cashback (ie submit your bills every now and then), it can be extremely cheap. I recently got a sim (unlimited texts & calls & 12gb data) for my Mum which after cashback will be £2 a month for 12 months!

We've got Vodafone sims which give 100gb a month, unlimited texts & calls costing £8 a month for 2 years (cashback).

www.mobile.co.uk - the price shown is after cashback
www.fonehouse.co.uk - the price shown is before cashback is deducted so you have to take it off yourself to find the true monthly price

Mel

Some of these deals sound cheaper than our current Polish one, but do they allow calls to any mobile and landline within the EU from any other country? Ours does, and that is important for me to call UK from France/Spain and Basia to call her Mother in Poland daily, from wherever we are.

If the answer is yes, maybe I should get one of them using my UK house address; Sim could get forwarded, or does one have to go into a shop to sign?

Geoff

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
The issue I find with tethering is battery drain. I've recently upgraded my phone so when allowed to travel again it will be instructive to see if that is better....

In the MH when tethering to the laptop we just keep the phone charger plugged in to a 12v socket.

Geoff

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Mel

Some of these deals sound cheaper than our current Polish one, but do they allow calls to any mobile and landline within the EU from any other country? Ours does, and that is important for me to call UK from France/Spain and Basia to call her Mother in Poland daily, from wherever we are.

If the answer is yes, maybe I should get one of them using my UK house address; Sim could get forwarded, or does one have to go into a shop to sign?

Geoff
Yes you can call from France to Poland etc and it will be included in the 'roaming' countries at no extra charge on a pay month contract ... however ... you'd fall foul of the below restriction for Vodafone and other providers too (I know some have got Vodafone contracts where they haven't got this restrictions but that was a while back so it's not available now):

In line with EU Roaming Regulations, customers’ use of their allowance while in our Europe Zone (excluding the UK), Roam-free or Roam-further destinations is intended for temporary, periodic travel such as holidays and short breaks.
Where a customer’s usage abroad is greater than at home over a four month period, we will message them to give them 14 days to clarify their usage, after which a regulated surcharge of 3.3p per minute for voice calls, 1p per SMS and £3.13 per GB of data will be applied to further usage. The new charges will come into effect on 18 January, 2021. Customers will be able to continue to receive calls and texts at no extra cost.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
For those abroad wanting to phone home or anywhere else for that matter if you have whatsapp on your phones you can make free phone calls over the internet, as long as you both have good connections it works fine and you can also do video calls.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
tether or mifi - the best choice isn't a one size fits all.

mifi suits the kevenh's because with that for our internet route, it's one permanent access point for lots of connected devices.

If we used mrskevenh phone she'd be turning off tethering with out telling me or just absentmindedly walking off with it in her pocket/purse. :eek:

Newer phones do have better antenna now then they used to- typically with mimo capabilities so can be as good as a mifi for reception.
But it is less convenient to tether for lots of us ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back