Which is better - Hymer or Carthago - subjective help please. (1 Viewer)

Viv Danks

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 19, 2017
Portskewett
Funster No
MH
Escape 684 & T6.1
Exp
Campervan since 2015 onwards - MH 2017-21
Afternoon Funsters,
So I am looking at having to change my Motorhome for a different Model to provide a larger garage to take a mobility scooter (Tramper TWS – 140Kg) – I have tried to find adaptions for my Swift Escape 684 but my wife (whom the scooter is for) is not comfortable towing, the existing overhang prevents a platform at the back and it is IMPORTANT that she can use the van without me.
So based upon my research the only two manufacturers that provide a wide enough and high enough garage door with the correct load capacity and plating (old we can go heavy) are either Hymer or Carthago – so the big questions are

• Which one is better for build and driving quality?
  • Which dealer network is more supportive?
  • Dealers to avoid?
  • Have you ever fitted auto-levelling to one?
  • Best way to sell our swift escape 684.
Thank you as always in advance…….

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
FWIW My Brother and his wife sold his company recently and retired, being impressed with Hymers they had seen they went and viewed a Duomobile in Belgium, the salesman suggested they look at a Cathargo liner for two, by way of comparison. Their opinion was that the Cathargo was better built, the fittings were of a better standard and overall a better van, did the deal there and then. The cost was well into six figures, but absolutely no chance of a discount, just a few extras !

OP
OP
Viv Danks

Viv Danks

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 19, 2017
Portskewett
Funster No
MH
Escape 684 & T6.1
Exp
Campervan since 2015 onwards - MH 2017-21
Theonlysue - Thank you but was trying to keep below 7.5m due to parking issues.

Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012
We’re on our 2nd Hymer. We had a Starline but after 3yr great use downsized to the same layout in an Exsis. Love the van but have had some minor problems chiefly with the fridge so that fault could apply to any Dometic kitted van.
We looked at similar model Cathargo’s which we liked but in the end it all boiled down to interior furnishings-the Hymer having half leather which suited us more.
As fo dealers, we bought ours off the biggest sole Hymer franchise in the country, wouldn’t pay them in washers! Nice people individually but shite service.
We’re not but if we were looking to change I would be completely open to either make.
Terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012
Your point about size - ours is 6.75 and I bloody love it! The payload is about 720kg and I think the garage is either 250 or 350kg.
I know that every forum member will have a view on size but for me, the ‘sweet spot’ is 7m.
There are many good vans out there at that length and some still have good payloads
Terry

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Only you can answer the question about quality as we all view things differently, they both make good vans though right from entry level to mega bucks, so it come down to how much do you want to spend?

If by “auto levelling” you mean Hydraulic jacks I would say this option would be available on most if not all vans.

I wouldn’t worry about an extensive dealer network just one fairly close to you would be good.

Martin

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We have a Hymer now 2 years old we also have self levelling fitted it is the same job to do either make.
They will both drive the same if on the same base chassis.

We had a lot of small issues from new ie floor hatches all replaced
Media center replaced cab windows dg now replaced wheels now replaced control panel twice replaced and a few small things not worth mentioning back up from our dealer was terrible.

Our friend has a similar model Cathargo he also had issues with water leaks in the rear windows control panel failed he only took it back to his dealer once they made such a hash of the job he chose to do any other repairs him self lucky for him his dealer will send him the warranty parts.

At the end of the day it’s how your luck goes and which one you prefer

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Choice is hours I'm afraid. Not really a lot of difference. We've had Hymers that delaminated Dethleffs that kept bursting water joints and tanks. We thought we would really get quality so bought a Carthago. We've had water ingress, pipe joints separating waste water tank cracking furniture warping entrance door stays snapping etc etc. Nothing out there to rave about and if you are keeping to 3500kg you'll not have much payload for levelling toys. Good luck with whatever you choose.

PS I've heard glowing reports about Camper UK. My dealer near Doncaster wasn't very good I'm afraid.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
We love our Hymer and no experience driving a Cathago. However we find the interior of Carthago quite dark ish, older styling with the 'cherry' wood - our preference is a lighter interior. Also had some feedback that the Carthago is not as reliable as Hymer but that is from one source and there will be others that are more informed and of a different opinion!

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
We have a Hymer now 2 years old we also have self levelling fitted it is the same job to do either make.
They will both drive the same if on the same base chassis.

We had a lot of small issues from new ie floor hatches all replaced
Media center replaced cab windows dg now replaced wheels now replaced control panel twice replaced and a few small things not worth mentioning back up from our dealer was terrible.

Our friend has a similar model Cathargo he also had issues with water leaks in the rear windows control panel failed he only took it back to his dealer once they made such a hash of the job he chose to do any other repairs him self lucky for him his dealer will send him the warranty parts.

At the end of the day it’s how your luck goes and which one you prefer

Wow ehicj year was your model built?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
On our 3rd Hymer I would say OK for mid range van and not too expensive. I might think differently if I'd paid silly UK prices but we always buy in Belgium and self import.

I'm parked next to my best in his Carthago E-Line at Fun's Bodiam rally, compared to my Hymer it just oozes quality. The outer shell they use higher quality aluminium panels the furniture has better quality laminate etc.

We nearly bought a C-Line but found the lounge a bit cramped and didn't rate shower and there was the extra cost to consider in the end the Hymer suited us better.

Drivieablity no different both on Fiat's.

Dealer and warranty had a few problems with all 3 vans of Belgium dealer just gets them sorted no dramers.

If you can afford the extra £10-£20k go for the Carthago.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We did consider Carthego however not keen on dark interior and thought for the extra cost not worth it.Now on our second self imported Hymer first was an Exis I 698 brilliant van had it three years and decided to change for a B678DL as it has far superior storage and a large garage which we fit a mountain bike Trike and a mountain bike easily it’s 7.5m long but slightly narrower than the usual A class at 2.22m wide got a great price for old van and a good deal on new one.
Had it’s first oil change and check over two weeks ago no problems. The only warranty issue was a head light which was replaced quickly without fuss.

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
We’ve had one Hymer (2012 model) and two Carthagos. The first was 2017 C Line coach build. Just swapped that for new C Line 5.5XL A Class.

My older Hymer was very solid but I think the new Carthagos seem more solid than the new Hymers.

As has been said, Carthagos are a bit darker inside... I’d call it more traditional, but that suits us. Don’t like furniture that’s too light, but that’s a personal choice.

Both Carthagos are much quieter on the road than the Hymer with very little in the way of creeking furniture. I took a shelf out of the wardrobe in our new 5.5XL and it wasn’t just screwed in... it was jointed into the wardrobe side walls too. A real pain to get it out.

I looked around at a lot of motorhomes before swapping and didn’t find anything we’d prefer to a Carthago. That includes Hymers, Frankias and Dethleffs.

Dethleffs were stylish but I didn’t think they were as well built as the others. As for Frankia, nice vans but only one dealer in the UK, and he knows it. Wouldn’t do a decent deal for me so we walked away.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
We have a 2017 Carthago and the build quality is good.
If you have a problem the Carthago warranty is crap also if you fall out with your dealer no other dealer will do the warranty work for you.

We still love our van but to be honest we should of bought the N&B or the Hymer star line

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
I’ve just swapped my Dethleffs for a new Carthago and the build quality is a lot better than the Dethleffs.
Hymer are a nice van and I do like the Premium Line

May 19, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1995
Having had two Hymer and two Carthago, I would say the Carthago is generally more solid but maybe old fashion. The thing to watch on both is axle weights particularly if you are carrying a battery scooter and bear in mind brochure weight has a 5% plus or minus.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hymer are a nice van and I do like the Premium Line
A discontinued model as it our Dynamic Line. Carthago model line more stable.

As Jon says watch the ex works weight, two of our Hymer's were 30kg under, current one 16kg over. Everyone I know with Carthago's are about 130kg over, so need to take that off the payload.

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I have a carthago c line 2018 can't comment on hymer but compared to our 2016 rapido the carthago is better but cost nearly twice as much so I would expect this

Ours does not feel dark inside at all but it is the superior model with the white cupboard doors plus we have cupboards around the cab area and we have 2 large roof vents above the lounge so this all helps to stop it feeling dark

The finish is very good on carthago for instance in the double floor where the wells are the edges are all covered in chequer plate and even the corners are welded up Also when you shut the passenger front door it feels solid not plastic and rattly

Carthago do have some stupid designs little things like it takes two hands to open the garage doors so you have to put down what you are holding to open them on the c line models plus the gas struts to keep the garage doors open are useless I have replaced mine

Also read carthago do not understand the word warranty they just bury there head in the sand and say no there is a big issue at the moment with carthago chrome grills oxidizing and the graphic vinyls getting dirty and unable to keep clean carthago say both issues are not warranty and owners should clean there vehicles using specific cleaning agents recommended by carthago just a get out claus in my eyes

I have hydraulic Leveling jacks but these can be fitted to any vehicle mine is 7.4 mts long and 4500kg with loads of payload and a huge garage

I bought mine from southdowns and the after service has been ok up to now

I love mine and would not swap it for anything at this time

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
Your point about size - ours is 6.75 and I bloody love it! The payload is about 720kg and I think the garage is either 250 or 350kg.
I know that every forum member will have a view on size but for me, the ‘sweet spot’ is 7m.
There are many good vans out there at that length and some still have good payloads
Terry
Interesting. Please can you tell Which Van/model do you have, is it 3.5ton or more?

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
If you decide on a Carthago don’t buy it from Premium in Bawtry
No good there Robert ???
Must admit I’ve been up there a few times (it’s on the doorstep) and they don’t seem interested in spending time with you, maybe I haven’t got a loaded with money appearance!
That said, a friend used them for hab checks and found them ok. Not used them myself though!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
No good there Robert ???
Must admit I’ve been up there a few times (it’s on the doorstep) and they don’t seem interested in spending time with you, maybe I haven’t got a loaded with money appearance!
That said, a friend used them for hab checks and found them ok. Not used them myself though!

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
An alternate to a giant coachbuilt would also be a simple van designed to hold a lot in the garage, such as this Adria that Andrew Ditton shows us around:

If the mobility scooter can fit into there (or change it to one that does!) thsi would give you a nice manageable solution.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Afternoon Funsters,
So I am looking at having to change my Motorhome for a different Model to provide a larger garage to take a mobility scooter (Tramper TWS – 140Kg) – I have tried to find adaptions for my Swift Escape 684 but my wife (whom the scooter is for) is not comfortable towing, the existing overhang prevents a platform at the back and it is IMPORTANT that she can use the van without me.
So based upon my research the only two manufacturers that provide a wide enough and high enough garage door with the correct load capacity and plating (old we can go heavy) are either Hymer or Carthago – so the big questions are

• Which one is better for build and driving quality?
  • Which dealer network is more supportive?
  • Dealers to avoid?
  • Have you ever fitted auto-levelling to one?
  • Best way to sell our swift escape 684.
Thank you as always in advance…….
Hymers are generally good, The german built Carthagos are pretty good but the best build quality on the Fiat base is the N&B Arto - no contest IMHO.

To maximise garage space go slightly longer in any of them and go for twin singles.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back