LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Planning ahead for next year and thinking about UK based sites and which club membership would be best for cheap / good camp site access.

The type of sites that we’ll be looking for are –

UK, Seaside/Lakes/Cornwall/Snowdonia/Scotland/Wales, Good 3G reception, PVC friendly with EHU and toilet disposal point. They should also have a pub with good beer and food within ½ mile and be reasonably quiet. Wi-fi would be a bonus.

We don’t mind being lined up and having a few rules and regs … so long as there isn’t piped music and an exercise hour!

Thanks (y)

PS Having spent a fortune on pre-van magazines and no doubt another fortune on pre-trip furniture and fittings, I was hoping to limit us to ONE club in the first year!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
giphy.gif

Upvote 0

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Not fuzzy at all then ? (n) :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We are members of the CC and have been since we bought our first MH in 2009. Our intention was to swap the following year to try the CCC for a year but never have. We like the facilities especially as we use it all winter so site showers are preferable to own .
Many on here don't like the formality of the CC sites but it works for us! We had 30odd years of tripping over guy ropes to know that we wanted a bit more hard standing.
But we do like the Funster rallies we have been on that are much more relaxed!!
Not much help sorry @Vanman !! Love the globecar video!!

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
It's Camping and Caravanning Club for us. Tried CC but didn't like the fact you couldn't just turn up at rallies which you can with CCC.

Don't generally use Club sites but the smaller 5 van sites called CS (Certificated Sites) and rallies, many of which are on hard standing in the winter.

Denise

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The CC has more sites of both types in Scotland than the C&CC.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Suggest you try one of the big 2 for a year, but try and use the smaller 5 van sites - CL/CS. As above the Caravan Club has more CLs so you get a better choice although prices are now going up and up, mainly because people are asking for more and more facilities. We just use the basic sites - water, waste disposal no electric - 'cos we don't need anything else. We'll use a main site if it's close to somewhere we want to be or need the extras.

Then do some research into all the others available to see what suits you. Loads of info on here.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Too many reasons to list in any order, but you really don't need to be a member of either

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Too many reasons to list in any order, but you really don't need to be a member of either

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm a bit confused about Club sites - CC/CL/CS, are some or all members only or do they just get discounts?

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thanks for the replies so far. I'm a bit confused about Club sites - CC/CL/CS, are some or all members only or do they just get discounts?
They are supposed to be only for the members of whichever club you are in but many you can stay on without being a member but a bit dearer, but there are loads of sites without being a member of either.

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
UK, Seaside/Lakes/Cornwall/Snowdonia/Scotland/Wales, Good 3G reception, PVC friendly with EHU and toilet disposal point. They should also have a pub with good beer and food within ½ mile and be reasonably quiet. Wi-fi would be a bonus.

If you find any let me know (y)

Upvote 0

beejay

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
West Dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Newbies, now have a Chausson Flash 08
Sorry can't help as you're asking the same question that I'm looking to find the answer for.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
CC = Caravan Club. CL = Certified Location (CC 5-van site)
CCC = Camping and Caravan Club. CS = Certified Site (CCC 5-van site)

We sometimes forget when abbreviating that not everybody knows what they stand for!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
CC = Caravan Club. CL = Certified Location (CC 5-van site)
CCC = Camping and Caravan Club. CS = Certified Site (CCC 5-van site)

We sometimes forget when abbreviating that not everybody knows what they stand for!

Thanks for that @TerryL . Can you also tell me which of the four are 'members only' and which accept non-members?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I think terry only mentioned 2

For the 'new to all this' it looked like -

1 - CC = Caravan Club
2 - CL = Certified Location (CC 5-van site)
3 - CCC = Camping and Caravan Club
4 - CS = Certified Site (CCC 5-van site)

I realise that's only two clubs, but for the non-members we'd like to know at which we'd be welcomed with open arms and at which we'd be turned away. It's not about grace and favour at this point it's trying to understand the rules and etiquette ;)

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
I long term in my van and joined the ccc . My fave cs asks for membership it closes for winter but has said if i want to stay on no probs.
The cc seems to have a lot more of the small cheaper sites in the area i want . I might join them next year when i have wintered somewhere warmer .

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
You would be ok at some turned away from others. Dont know what else to say , join both maybe ?

Upvote 0

beejay

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
West Dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Newbies, now have a Chausson Flash 08
And what about the MCC, motorcaravanners club? Any opinions on this club? I follow them on Facebook

Upvote 0
Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
We've never been asked for confirmation of membership at any CL or CS, and I don't remember even being asked about membership.

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
When we've booked CS (and CLs when in CC) we've been asked our membership number on the phone and then been asked for them at most as well.

A lot of the club sites are open to non-members for an additional cost.

Denise

Upvote 0

Andy H

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Tio Savanah PVC
Exp
We belong to the CCC and have always found their sites well run and clean. Looking at the CC they seem to have more sites in areas where we want to go, so we'll probably change at some point.

We have stayed on at least one CS where the 5 van rule was not in evidence, although they may have had permission.

Also when we were in Cornwall this summer we stayed at Sennen, and the site had 3 fields for the general public, and one field reserved for CC members. The facilities were shared, and weren't great. The CC field seemed quieter and with fewer kids (if that is an issue).

Andy

Upvote 0

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
We belong to both,the CCC give 25% discount to adults over 65 when you use there sites.

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
We belong to both,the CCC give 25% discount to adults over 65 when you use there sites.
It kicks in at 60, rather than 65. It was 55 for a while, but they raised it a few years ago. Anyone who already had it got to keep it.

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
IF you want EHU then you will not be going to rallies nor Temporary Holiday Sites (THS - a CCC offering where you usually get minimal facilities at low rates and without a need to book).

Look at their websites and try to identify where you want to go: CC has more sites in the Lakes BUT CCC has a superb site on the edge of Keswick (300m to bus station), actually on the shore of Derwent Water.

Many club-sites allow non-members BUT charge something like £7 per night extra - within a week you've spent more than a year's membership fees. Whenever we've visited CL/CS sites, we have been asked for our cards.

IF you have paid £30k (as we did) for a MH, isn't it worth an extra £45 (or whatever) to get the freedom to use it where you want?

Your choice - Gordon

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
As i said in my original reply, take some time to checkout all the others which we've done over the years. Trying to join them all is unnecessary and would not be cost effective. We've been CC since we started motorhoming but joined CCC when we wanted to use one of their THS (Temporary Holiday Site). Between them they have enough CLs/CSs for us.

We tried Britstops in their first year but only ever found one place where we wanted to be. Chatted to the owners at the Lincoln show this year and saw that they now have lots more so, as this type of stopover is more our style, will subscribe again when the 2017 book is out (March I was told).

Upvote 0

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Planning ahead for next year and thinking about UK based sites and which club membership would be best for cheap / good camp site access.

The type of sites that we’ll be looking for are –

We don’t mind being lined up and having a few rules and regs … so long as there isn’t piped music and an exercise hour!

Thanks (y)

PS Having spent a fortune on pre-van magazines and no doubt another fortune on pre-trip furniture and fittings, I was hoping to limit us to ONE club in the first year!
We are with CC and CCC. Loads of good sites in Scotland where you can walk in to town within 20 mins and of course have all the facilities you need. (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
OK - I've done a bit of research on the web sites of the big two clubs and this is what I've established (unless anyone tells me different ;) )

1 - CC = Caravan Club. Discounts for members but non-members Welcome
2 - CL = Certified Location (CC 5-van site). Members Only
3 - CCC = Camping and Caravan Club. Discounts for members but non-members Welcome
4 - CS = Certified Site (CCC 5-van site). Members Only

The next stage, although it might take a while, is to look at the 5 or so locations* I want to go next year and work out how many of each club/type meet the criteria in post #1. I'll post the results here either as I do them if it takes a while, or all at once if it doesn't!

*Preston (don't ask); Eden Project; Welsh Coast/Snowdonia; Lake district and Scotland

And what about the MCC, motorcaravanners club? Any opinions on this club? I follow them on Facebook

I've not forgotten these and I'll have a look at them at some point!

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
OK - I've done a bit of research on the web sites of the big two clubs and this is what I've established (unless anyone tells me different ;) )

1 - CC = Caravan Club. Discounts for members but non-members Welcome
2 - CL = Certified Location (CC 5-van site). Members Only
3 - CCC = Camping and Caravan Club. Discounts for members but non-members Welcome
4 - CS = Certified Site (CCC 5-van site). Members Only

Not quite -
1 & 3 Non members sometimes welcome but not always. It varies from stalag to stalag.
2 Non members welcome a lot more often than the CC would have you believe :whistle:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back