Which Campervan - Globestar v Malibu (1 Viewer)

cacbeag

Free Member
Jan 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Exp
6byears
Hi All
We have been researching campervans for our first van purchase. We have narrowed it down to either a Globecar Globescout or a Malibu 600db.
Would really appreciate any advice -are we on the right lines with these two? Any reviews of either, good or bad would be great, or are there others we have missed or discounted, which you would recommend we consider.
Thanks in advance for any comments

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Here’s the RHD version
That's good news(y) - have amended my earlier post in case some don't read past that. Lots of interesting stuff on that website & looks like they still ship to UK :smiley:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Having seen the Globecar Campscout Revolution previously, if necessary you 'could' stick a kiddie in the overcab storage area (with a suitable restraining net for safety) as its massive! I know you can have 2 double beds at the rear but there is an option to exclude one I believe but this still gives you a tall and airy camper. With the use of the overcab storage area you'd still be able take a grandkid or two if you also made-up a bed on the lounge seating (by making a low support base to go in place of the fixed height table) and the swivelled cab seat, or even just turning the cab seats to face each other with a suitable 'mattress' placed on top.

Our Revolution comes with the extra bed to turn the dinette into a bed, and as you say the overcab locker is big enough to make a rather unorthodox childs bed.

Or if you dont use the garage floor you can fit a single under the 2 double beds.
Poessl_Roadcruiser_Revolution_Beladen_4840.jpg

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Don't think it would be suitable to be turned over as from the video below it has fittings on the underneath for stability so presume it has a board base that they fix to then foam & a cover.
Can't be positive but when we fitted our third Globecar bed think we had to push the front seats forward to make sufficient room & if so would think that would make it too small a space left for the Campsleep.
UPDATE- Campsleep do make this bed for RHD too (y) - see following posts by Grianan

The only really effective 3rd bed I've seen is an option on the Westfalia Columbus. You flip the dinette seat over and Hey Presto! Instant flat single bed folds out.

Mine has a jugsaw puzzle of odd bits of wood and extra cushions that makes a sort of transverse single bed. It looks a faff to assemble and would block the side door. Not a serious solution. If you really need 3, 4 or even 5 berths in a PVC there are purpose-built conversions e.g. the Dreamer Family Van.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

cacbeag

Free Member
Jan 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Exp
6byears
Thanks everyone. We had not considered a pop up but looked at one with a good spec yesterday but it had a pop up. Taking everything into consideration, weather problems and “I am camping” look, don’t think it is for us. There are obviously other solutions. Thanks again for input.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
The only really effective 3rd bed I've seen is an option on the Westfalia Columbus. You flip the dinette seat over and Hey Presto! Instant flat single bed folds out.

Mine has a jugsaw puzzle of odd bits of wood and extra cushions that makes a sort of transverse single bed. It looks a faff to assemble and would block the side door. Not a serious solution. If you really need 3, 4 or even 5 berths in a PVC there are purpose-built conversions e.g. the Dreamer Family Van.

We used the transverse bed for 4 weeks last year with my 15yo 5’10” son. It only takes approx 3 minutes to put up/take down! He slept in a camping mat instead of the foam base and 2 duvets (one over one under). It was no bother and being able to separate front and back of the van gave us some privacy too. Everyone is different but I would choose this option over the stacking double beds any day. Especially with older kids.

But agree the Columbus is a great solution for a small adult ... and the dinette seats are comfier too ... out of our price range though!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

cacbeag

Free Member
Jan 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Exp
6byears
Thank you all for your help and input. Deal done, we have just purchased a globecar globescout plus. Can’t wait to get it, kit it out and get out on the road. Thanks again and no doubt speak to you all soon on the globecar section.

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Thank you all for your help and input. Deal done, we have just purchased a globecar globescout plus. Can’t wait to get it, kit it out and get out on the road. Thanks again and no doubt speak to you all soon on the globecar section.
Congratulations! All the Plus models are great value with their included extras (y) Are you buying one that they have in stock or a factory order? If there are factory fitted extras that you are considering some are worthwhile but others are a bit overpriced for what they are so do ask on here if you aren't sure.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

cacbeag

Free Member
Jan 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Exp
6byears
Congratulations! All the Plus models are great value with their included extras (y) Are you buying one that they have in stock or a factory order? If there are factory fitted extras that you are considering some are worthwhile but others are a bit overpriced for what they are so do ask on here if you aren't sure.
Bought one they had in stock (smc). We think we got a really good deal. It had a good spec to start but also got considerable add ons for very little extra, and free service flung in too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

cacbeag

Free Member
Jan 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Exp
6byears
Great news, did you have to travel over the border to purchase it.
Yes we did, but not too difficult for us as our son lives in Manchester and we visit often, more to see the grandchildren

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

cacbeag

Free Member
Jan 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Exp
6byears
Bought one they had in stock (smc). We think we got a really good deal. It had a good spec to start but also got considerable add ons for very little extra, and free service flung in too.
solar panel, extra battery, oven, extra usbs, alarm, tracker, radio, reversing camera, bbq point, awning .....
We got quotes for the same spec from Malibu hymer and Adria and they were all over 10k more than globecar for the same spec and add ons.

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
We got quotes for the same spec from Malibu hymer and Adria and they were all over 10k more than globecar for the same spec and add ons.

Yep, we found the same. The cost of the Hymer PVCs were astronomical when compared to the Globie deals.

Upvote 0

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Deal done, we have just purchased a globecar globescout plus
Congrats!!

I did a lot of research over 2 years before getting mine (buying one as soon as it came out), nothing else could touch it on price and I still don't see any I'd rather have. You'll notice what a nice ride it has on the motorway with cruise control, it was coming down the A1M that I realised I could cover great distances in it.

I was actually surprised to see one for sale at SMC when you posted as I can't see them hanging around for long. The Pluses (Summit and Globescout) are quite exceptional.

BTW get them to confirm the fridge burner mod has been done (the fridge regulates the gas power between pilot and flame to maintain fridge temperature, but the original burner when new didn't keep the pilot going and so Dometic changed it out). Ironically if you lit the old one often enough the soot made it work eventually but I still had the new one fitted.

You get the 3rd bed at SMC too which also gives you the nice table, as long as you are carefull to get the 3rd bed mattress the right way around (it's a little subtle) it's pretty easy to pop in and out, we used ours for a few days and it just lived on top of the main bed during the day.

Study my posts earlier in the thread for hints and tips - they'll make more sense when you get it.
Take a shallow bucket for emptying grey waste at Smeeton Lakes, they haven't quite got the european camper/drain thing sussed there (same on many UK camp sites).
Also use JustKampers green 2L toilet fluid - it is the best. Avoid all blue stuff.

If you get the Blaupunkt radio make sure you update the Satnav software within the 30 days allowed. It's complex so follow each step exactly and you'll be fine, it works well in use.
To check they wired the permanent and switched live round the right way check the radio clock keeps time when the radio is off.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

cacbeag

Free Member
Jan 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Exp
6byears
Congrats!!

I did a lot of research over 2 years before getting mine (buying one as soon as it came out), nothing else could touch it on price and I still don't see any I'd rather have. You'll notice what a nice ride it has on the motorway with cruise control, it was coming down the A1M that I realised I could cover great distances in it.

I was actually surprised to see one for sale at SMC when you posted as I can't see them hanging around for long. The Pluses (Summit and Globescout) are quite exceptional.

BTW get them to confirm the fridge burner mod has been done (the fridge regulates the gas power between pilot and flame to maintain fridge temperature, but the original burner when new didn't keep the pilot going and so Dometic changed it out). Ironically if you lit the old one often enough the soot made it work eventually but I still had the new one fitted.

You get the 3rd bed at SMC too which also gives you the nice table, as long as you are carefull to get the 3rd bed mattress the right way around (it's a little subtle) it's pretty easy to pop in and out, we used ours for a few days and it just lived on top of the main bed during the day.

Study my posts earlier in the thread for hints and tips - they'll make more sense when you get it.
Take a shallow bucket for emptying grey waste at Smeeton Lakes, they haven't quite got the european camper/drain thing sussed there (same on many UK camp sites).
Also use JustKampers green 2L toilet fluid - it is the best. Avoid all blue stuff.

If you get the Blaupunkt radio make sure you update the Satnav software within the 30 days allowed. It's complex so follow each step exactly and you'll be fine, it works well in use.
To check they wired the permanent and switched live round the right way check the radio clock keeps time when the radio is off.
Thanks for the tips on what to look out for at handover. I will start a list once I get over the excitement of buying our first van !

Upvote 0
May 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I’ve not seen the Campsleep before ... I presume you could use it upside down for RH drive?
It looks a great alternative to the 3rd bed.
Could you use both together?
There is a rhd version on the Reimo website:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back