Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 28, 2023
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Van M
Exp
Evening all.
Sorry if this sort of thing has been asked before.
Our Adria Van M has a Fiamma F45ti rollout awning and we also have a Kampa/Dometic Rally Air Pro 260 Driveaway Awning.
We are currently on our first week-long trip and have been very glad to have the Rally Air to store stuff in and keep the van clutter-free. It was also sunny for an hour or two yesterday so it was nice to just sit in.
However, due to my wife's ill health, I have to put the awning up on my own and it is a bit of a chore (even with an electric pump)!
I was thinking about getting sides and a front for the Fiamma but have heard horror stories about them breaking in bad weather and of course, it's not "drive away".
It's been quite windy today and with storm straps the Rally Air has been rock solid.
Could the Fiamma with front and sides be made as strong with the tie down kit?
The alternative to both would be a tent but it seems some sites don't allow a van and an extra tent.
Thanks for reading.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
If you find it hard work putting up the Air awning you will find out that putting up a Fiamma safari room is even harder and they have to be strapped down when it’s windy.

OP
OP
M
Mar 28, 2023
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Van M
Exp
If you find it hard work putting up the Air awning you will find out that putting up a Fiamma safari room is even harder and they have to be strapped down when it’s windy.
Thanks Mikeco.
The main issue with the air awning is the sheer weight of the thing, dragging it around etc and it's so bulky.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks Mikeco.
The main issue with the air awning is the sheer weight of the thing, dragging it around etc and it's so bulky.
The Fiamma is also heavy as well.
We use a lighter Kampa Rally awning which has poles and is much cheaper than the Air ones, the only problem is that they only have the 6 mm bead which will not fit into a Fiamma channel so we bought a 4mm bead tape and sewed it on.You can also buy a 6 to 4 conversion kit.

DEB95DD1-E5A4-440A-BC52-D079E3162735.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M
Mar 28, 2023
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Van M
Exp
If you consider a Fiamma safari room sides & front I have a nice set for a f45, more than welcome to message me if it’s any use before I advertise it for sale.
Hi Martin,
Yes I might be interested.
Can't work out how to DM you though. 🙄
Please could you DM me?

Thanks.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Phew you say you have to put it up on your own and you don’t like humping a heavy weight around, yet you’re considering getting the Fiamma front and sides?

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Hi & welcome Maggsy! :hi: The Funster favourite easy to use alternative is the Quest Screen House 4 https://www.questleisure.com/produc...and-Shelters/Screen-Houses-and-Shelters/A3000 but may be a bit long to store in your Adria van conversion. This is a wildcard more portable option https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...-pop-up-shelter-to-a-driveaway-awning.258104/ We have described both of these as "driveaway awnings" when booking & not had any problems so long as under or instead of the wind out awning yet but worth checking the campsites T&C or sending them a quick email for pace of mind. Most Fun rallies & meets allow both options unless space is tight which is rare. Both must be well pegged then very durable weather wise.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M
Mar 28, 2023
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Van M
Exp
Hi & welcome Maggsy! :hi: The Funster favourite easy to use alternative is the Quest Screen House 4 https://www.questleisure.com/produc...and-Shelters/Screen-Houses-and-Shelters/A3000 but may be a bit long to store in your Adria van conversion. This is a wildcard more portable option https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...-pop-up-shelter-to-a-driveaway-awning.258104/ We have described both of these as "driveaway awnings" when booking & not had any problems so long as under or instead of the wind out awning yet but worth checking the campsites T&C or sending them a quick email for pace of mind. Most Fun rallies & meets allow both options unless space is tight which is rare. Both must be well pegged then very durable weather wise.
Thanks Wombles.
Just the sort of reply I was hoping for.
Lots to think about.
Someone on site here has a Screen House so I'll try to tap them up later. It packs down to 6ft apparently and I reckon I could fit that in as the floor is flat between the front seats.
The Quest looks fun too but they have no stock until July.

OP
OP
M
Mar 28, 2023
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Van M
Exp
Quick update.
Spent the last week at The Old Oaks near Glastonbury - highly recommended BTW.
On Friday it was blowing up to Force 8! My Kampa drive away awning was rock solid (thanks to my storm straps made from the spikes from my Fiamma tie-down kit and a couple of ratchet straps)! However, even more interesting to me was that a fellow camper had a Quest Screen House 4 Pro and that survived too!
I am going to sell the Kampa and get a Screen House, I had a chat with the guy and he loves his.
Thanks for all your help folks.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
The amount of awnings, both drive away and fixed that are used a few times and then spend a few years in the garden shed before being sold (again and again) is concerning.

Whilst an awning on a caravan may make sense, as they don't tend to move for days or even a week or two.

An awning (fixed or driveaway) does not make any sense for a motorhomes, as by definition they tend not to spend more than a few nights in the same place.
(Other than family stop overs, I think our record is 5 nights)

By all means fit a wind out roll out awning, they get used quite a bit, but are very prone to wind damage (so we always wind in at night)

And as recommended by many others, get a Quest screen house either 4 (one door) or 6 (two doors.)
(6 door ones can be zipped to other 4/6 door Quest screen houses).

A Quest Screen house, and similar products, can be used like a drive away awning, but can be put up/taken down, single handed, in under 3 mins. They must be good, as they very rarely come up for sale second hand!

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Something to consider with choice of Quest Screen House - whilst both the 4 & 6 are very good the footprint of the 6 is likely to be too big for many campsite pitches but not usually a problem for those that just do rallies in fields.

OP
OP
M
Mar 28, 2023
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Van M
Exp
Something to consider with choice of Quest Screen House - whilst both the 4 & 6 are very good the footprint of the 6 is likely to be too big for many campsite pitches but not usually a problem for those that just do rallies in fields.
Good point 👍

Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
A definite yes for the quest pro screen house 4
We love ours for over night or weekend, yes easy to put up( you tube tutorials)
(y)

Jul 25, 2017
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Since2012
We gave up on the awnings and now use a Coleman event shelter, so much easier
D56FC49F-7639-415E-9464-61E39D8AEECD.jpeg

Jul 25, 2017
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Since2012
Excellent, first one is over 10 years old gave to our daughter and they use when camping. This one is at least 4 years old and been used a lot. The TIPEC (Porsche club) have them as regional shelters and have been impressed by them

Jan 23, 2023
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Newbie - bought first MH 11/03/2023
If you consider a Fiamma safari room sides & front I have a nice set for a f45, more than welcome to message me if it’s any use before I advertise it for sale.
Hi Martin - I’m looking for an F45 privacy room atm.

Have you sold yours?

I’m in Bedford

KR Peter.

Mar 22, 2023
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks Mikeco.
I don't know if you have sorted out the awning room yet. The individual parts of the Fiamma awning are not heavy but put them all in a bag and it is a different story.

Making the connection between the side pieces and the main awning is a bit of a fiddle and if you are vertically challenged then you will need a stool/step to do the assembly that is high up at the awning end.

Having said this when the Safari room is assembled and with the correct tie downs then it is a substantial room in my opinion.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back