Where to position??? (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Ok now I've done the deed and bought all the bits, where is the optimum place to position the panels?

I don't have an issue with space as its an Burstner i890 without satellite or any other gubbins to obstruct,

I have two 100 watt panels, should it be one at front, one at back just in case you end up in the shade or should it be one at each side? or does it not really matter?

Any thoughts before i make a start?

Cheers
Mark

Urs4_2008

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
Vestskogen, Norway
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I
Exp
Since 2009
Together and closest to where your batteries are to keep cabling shortest possible :) Good luck, and if you share pictures it would be much appreciated :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Thanks, due to the way the Burstners set up the EBL is on the opposite side of the vehicle to the batteries which is what i'll be connecting to.

Ahh photos, I will try, unfortunately i'm not very good at remembering until afterwards, but agree it's always handy for others to look at.
next decision is can I find a way down to the EBL without drilling my roof, no problem if i need to would just rather not.

Just need it to warm up a bit now:cold:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
As close together as possible. Lots of videos on YouTube about mounting twin panels.

Also remember that while you have space now, who knows what you might want to add later, so plan that now.

Good luck and some before, during and after pictures would be good thank you :)

Urs4_2008

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
Vestskogen, Norway
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks, due to the way the Burstners set up the EBL is on the opposite side of the vehicle to the batteries which is what i'll be connecting to.

Ahh photos, I will try, unfortunately i'm not very good at remembering until afterwards, but agree it's always handy for others to look at.
next decision is can I find a way down to the EBL without drilling my roof, no problem if i need to would just rather not.

See if it is possible to thread the wires through one of the several always-open air vents on the roof. In my hymer one of the vents are inside the kitchen cupboard - very easy to thread the wire through and from there remove some panels and hide the cable nicely towards the batteries (not going through ebl - limited to about 200w, I have 800w)

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
only need 200w for now, it's in storage so batteries have to come home with me to keep topped up otherwise they drain, if I need to add to I will go direct to batteries.

@PP Bear I'll take photos , lots of space so not too worried.:D

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011

The good thing with Frankia is they are pre wired for solar from the control panel to the EBL,maybe Burstner do the same.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
If you park up for a few weeks at a time, consider putting hinges on one side to tilt them towards the sun. When the sun is low in the sky it boosts performance a lot.
Typically 1Amp flat = 7Amps facing the sun :cool:

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I don't have an issue with space as its an Burstner i890 without satellite or any other gubbins to obstruct

'kin loads of room. Fit them where you can.
I entered the roof of my Burstner in that corner because there is a void down between the body and lining to the leisure batteries under that seat. I dropped a weight down and fished the cables out the bottom.

DSC02169.JPG

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
@ bigtree, Yep Burstner do also, I've ordered the EBL cable kit so just plug and play into the EBL unit

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
The idea of placing two panels far apart to reduce the chance of both being shaded is a good one, but I wonder how often it might be of benefit. I’d look at the cable runs and locate the panels to make the runs as short and easy as possible. If there is a satellite dish, I’d keep them well away, to reduce the effect of shading from that. If you don’t have a dish, I’d allow space for one just in case. Even if space is plentiful, I’d arrange the panels in a way that does not squander it. You can never be sure what the future holds, you may decide to fit even more of them later. Appearance is unimportant and something less symmetrical might help identify it more easily from above. Remember that you’ll need to clean them occasionally, so try to avoid positions that are difficult to reach.

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
The idea of placing two panels far apart to reduce the chance of both being shaded is a good one, but I wonder how often it might be of benefit. I’d look at the cable runs and locate the panels to make the runs as short and easy as possible. If there is a satellite dish, I’d keep them well away, to reduce the effect of shading from that. If you don’t have a dish, I’d allow space for one just in case. Even if space is plentiful, I’d arrange the panels in a way that does not squander it. You can never be sure what the future holds, you may decide to fit even more of them later. Appearance is unimportant and something less symmetrical might help identify it more easily from above. Remember that you’ll need to clean them occasionally, so try to avoid positions that are difficult to reach.

Cheers rogher, yep the original thought was that if the front of the van was in the shade then the back might not be and vice versa, but as you say how often will it happen, the panels will now be both up front with them over to the near side closest to the EBL, the Votronic controller mpp250 will be in the same locker and the EBL cable kit can just plug straight in, so hopefully it will be a straight drop behind a locker (I hope) I will also have the Votronic LCD display up near the standard LT 510 panel, another plug and play just need to decide where the best mounting point for that will be.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
If you can, mount on a tilting bracket so you can prop them up to face onto the sun, as per many European vans I’ve seen.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I’d not disagree with the notion of tilting the panels, particularly in winter, but I also wonder how practical that might be. The hinge would only be to one side and would need to be easily accessible, then you’d need to park up in thr right direction as well…

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Unfortunately brackets already bought, had considered, would be a bind having to get up and tilt them

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back