Where to or where not to drill a 25mm hole in the roof ? (1 Viewer)

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Drill a pilot hole first that comes through both skins. Then drill through one side half way and then drill from the other side to finish the job. That way you will get less breakout and have a tidier job.

I would recommend a starret or Bosch cutter, not one of the silly multi size cheap things.

Andy.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Drill a pilot hole first that comes through both skins. Then drill through one side half way and then drill from the other side to finish the job. That way you will get less breakout and have a tidier job.

I would recommend a starret or Bosch cutter, not one of the silly multi size cheap things.

Andy.
Thanks for the tip.....

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013

Andy.
Brought a starret and a arbour to fit it, will be here tomorrow. Aerials arrived today so should be all set now for the weekend as long as weather stays dry and i hold my nerve :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Brought a starret and a arbour to fit it, will be here tomorrow. Aerials arrived today so should be all set now for the weekend as long as weather stays dry and i hold my nerve :)
What size is the "bolt" at the bottom of the antenna? You need to cut a hole a bit bigger as your chances of drilling a hole exactly at right angles to the roof is slim if you are going to do it by hand. :)

If there isn't a lot of clearance you could use a file to make the inside skin hole a bit bigger if necessary.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
What size is the "bolt" at the bottom of the antenna? You need to cut a hole a bit bigger as your chances of drilling a hole exactly at right angles to the roof is slim if you are going to do it by hand. :)

If there isn't a lot of clearance you could use a file to make the inside skin hole a bit bigger if necessary.
They have a plate that goes over the thread but the actual hole is 25mm this is slightly bigger than needed, i will ensure the van is level when i do it as currently it is on a slope (will deploy the E&P) it will then be as straight as i can be. There is room in the cupboard as it will need to come forward from where the current vision aerial install is by 200mm according to the instructions.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Looks like this wont get done this weekend as now raining over the bank holiday, blinking nuisance.....

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Looks like this wont get done this weekend as now raining over the bank holiday, blinking nuisance.....
Yeah, a likely story .... wimp!!! :D2

Reactions: zac
OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Yeah, a likely story .... wimp!!! :D2
You may be right lol, i am all good to go now as everything here, just need a dry day which i thought would be easy when i checked at the start of the week now it is bl**dy raining all weekend and BH Monday, good old british weather. Still i can sort the electrics out inside which will be one less thing to worry about although i still need to find that blinking fuse, will need assistance from other half for that as will need eyes on the multimeter when i start pulling fuses, that could be challenging as i hate working with her lol :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You may be right lol, i am all good to go now as everything here, just need a dry day which i thought would be easy when i checked at the start of the week now it is bl**dy raining all weekend and BH Monday, good old british weather. Still i can sort the electrics out inside which will be one less thing to worry about although i still need to find that blinking fuse, will need assistance from other half for that as will need eyes on the multimeter when i start pulling fuses, that could be challenging as i hate working with her lol :)
Tell me about it ... I have the same issue with hubby!!! Questions, questions, questions then comments, comment, comments ... its like having a demented parrot chattering away all the time! :D

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Tell me about it ... I have the same issue with hubby!!! Questions, questions, questions then comments, comment, comments ... its like having a demented parrot chattering away all the time! :D
I’ll explain what to look for then start pulling fuses and I’ll be shouting what does it say. And I know the response will be - what does what say lol. That will probably be the worst part of the job lol.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
The symbols illustrate what they are for
I have pulled every fuse in the back garage but none of them seem to be linked to this power supply. I know it is on the leisure side as if I turn of the 12v from the control panel above the door it goes to 0. I can only assume it is wired directly to the lesuire batteries. As the fuses at the front are for the vehicle side or so I assume.

Can’t follow the cable as it goes behind units and out of view. I know it was wired in last as the dealer put the aerial in once they received the van as it didn’t have one. Is it common for them to go straight to the batteries?

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Is there a wire with fuse holder by the battery?

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Is there a wire with fuse holder by the battery?

I will have to check as at present i have left it but i need to find it, i know it works with a 20amp fuse in but no point if the other end is only a 10 or a 15amp.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Oh how I love the game of find the hidden fuse ... if you can't see it but know the rough vicinity of it try looking for it at night with a torch as the body of the fuse will glow ... I had to do this when I was looking for the fuse for the alarm in a previous MH, I knew where it should be but try as I might I simply could not find the flipping thing ... in desperation I went back out after tea with a torch and the plastic top of the fuse shone like a beacon under the dash!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Oh how I love the game of find the hidden fuse ... if you can't see it but know the rough vicinity of it try looking for it at night with a torch as the body of the fuse will glow ... I had to do this when I was looking for the fuse for the alarm in a previous MH, I knew where it should be but try as I might I simply could not find the flipping thing ... in desperation I went back out after tea with a torch and the plastic top of the fuse shone like a beacon under the dash!
Try Bigger Fuse :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
it looks as though it doubles back and goes into the bedroom but after that you cant see it as there is too much surrounding it with no clear way of getting to see where it goes. I am not sure it is the same cable as you cant really tell, it is a blinking nuisance though as i am pretty sure the dealer wont know given that it has been over a year since they fitted it :). From the looks of it the cable i would say it is good for outside as it is hard plastic rather than the soft stuff you can get, i will take another look tomorrow at the leisure batteries as if not there then i have no clue. It will be ok whilst it works but if it blows then the fun will begin :(

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Checked the leisure batteries and pulled all loose fuses in there ranging from 2amp to 25amp and none of them are powering the leads for the adhoc tv. I will email the dealer in the hope they will have a standard practise on where these things go as I have run out of options. It will be fine while it works but if it ever blows it will be a blinking nightmare.

Would they just wire this direct with no fuse?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I have pulled every fuse in the back garage but none of them seem to be linked to this power supply. I know it is on the leisure side as if I turn of the 12v from the control panel above the door it goes to 0. I can only assume it is wired directly to the lesuire batteries. As the fuses at the front are for the vehicle side or so I assume.

Can’t follow the cable as it goes behind units and out of view. I know it was wired in last as the dealer put the aerial in once they received the van as it didn’t have one. Is it common for them to go straight to the batteries?

I've had that trying to isolate a supply in mine. There are some electronics inside that fusebox that appear to do some odd things.

The big problem is that there are many many variants of that CBE fusebox used. @Techno managed to track down a circuit diagram for his and posted it in another thread a while ago. The one in my van has a different part number and is different enough that Andy's diagram isn't usable even though it looks identical at first glance. I've been unable to find the correct diagram for mine.

CBE, who make it, are an Italian company and are useless. All they do is refer you to their UK agents for technical enquiries.

Their named UK agent is Southdowns Motorhome Centre who are spectacularly deliberately unhelpful. Despite CBE referring people to them the only response I received was that they only sell the stuff they don't get involved with any technical queries. They won't even talk to you if your enquiry is anything other than sales related. Since I queried this and pointed out that CBE name them as the UK point of contact for technical enquiries they refuse to speak to me at all :rofl::rofl::rofl:

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
How much drying time does sikaflex need as trying to figure out if i have enough time today before the rain comes later?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Full strength 24hrs but your not using it as an adhesive rather a sealant so a bit of rain won’t bother it
However would be advantageous to park on a slope so water won’t pool around it

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Full strength 24hrs but your not using it as an adhesive rather a sealant so a bit of rain won’t bother it
However would be advantageous to park on a slope so water won’t pool around it
Thanks, may attempt it later if the sun comes out.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Scorchio
image.jpg

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Managed to do this today, I am surprised how thin the roof is. Only about 30mm, I only had clear sikafkex which I would preferred white but that’s nothing really as can’t see it on the roof. It was quite stressful even though it didn’t take long. I used sikaflex underneath on the sticky part as per the advice from Addie from motorhomewifi as my roof was not smooth. I have also sealed it round the outside. I will check it tomorrow when I get back from work although if it was leaking I am unlikely to see it but I will triple check the seal just in case.

Thanks for all the help from everyone on here, some very useful tips which I would not of thought of for sure. Save me a few quid.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Let's be 'aving some piccies then!

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I will leave the power issue as I just cannot find it. I will have to deal with it when it blows. I will email the dealer but I am not relying on them as just too long ago for them to really remember. Why do they have to make these things so inaccessible.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
They may have just tapped in to your lighting circuit it would not be the first time.
I have a light fuse which was in the garage fuse box but that’s not it as all the lights went out when pulled but not this power source. I am starting to think it is something strange with the actual controller like nicnic mentioned or it is just not fused and goes straight to the batteries ( couldn’t see it at the battery end )
It is very annoying that’s for sure.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back