Where to or where not to drill a 25mm hole in the roof ? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Check with the supplier if the antenna you want requires a ground plane. If it does mounted on a pole it may not work optimally and of course it would be very vulnerable to branches.

I fitted a Poynting MIMO-1-01, bought from Solwise and wrote a thread about it on here. I chose it over the one you are looking at because they publish all the test results about it. Have a look at the tech specs link in this page (below). However, I don't know if it would go through a thick insulated roof. You would have to check on the length of the mounting bolt.

I'm sure the Motorhome WiFi one works very well but I'm very happy with the performance of the Poynting one. There's even a bit about my installation on their Case Studies page. :) (I didn't write it by the way!)
That looks similar to the one i posted earlier or similar design but the thread is a lot shorter by the looks of the specs.

Reactions: DBK
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Another question a lot of the aerials i am coming across are Directional as opposed to omni directional, ideally i just want something i raise and forget for the 4G signal but this is proving hard if i want a decent aerial of around 5dbi. Is it best for directional or omni directional on 4G?
This is an inherent problem with omni-directional. It's easier to imagine in terms of a light beam. If you want a beam to be omni-directional, you can focus the light so that the part that goes upwards and downwards goes out horizontally instead. The more you do this, the more you have a problem if the phone mast is not in the horizontal plane (they are often up at the top of a hill or on a tall building, for example). You then have to tilt the omnidirectional aerial, and once you start having to do that, you may as well get a fully directional one.

The 'dbi' figure represents how much the beam is concentrated in the horizontal plane, compared to a standard stick aerial.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That is another suggestion worth considering, the aerial is bulky and something we have never used since we purchased the vehicle as all our media is done from a 2tb external drive or the occaisional streaming via firestick/kodi. I would make cleaning the roof easier if it were not there :). I am leaning towards using the existing pole only because it will remove the existing aerial. Just need to make a decision now.
In which case you could possibly attach a flat plate to the top of the pole and then attach the antenna to that ...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Lots of customers remove unused TV antennas and refit the 4G antenna in its place.

Here is a video of one customer doing just that:

If you require any assistance with regards to fitting, I would be happy to assist.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Lots of customers remove unused TV antennas and refit the 4G antenna in its place.

Here is a video of one customer doing just that:

If you require any assistance with regards to fitting, I would be happy to assist.

I took a look at this yesterday which prompted my post today, I do like the look of your aerial as it is very neat but the thought of trying to get all that sealant off would be a nightmare. The drilling of the 25mm hole seem to be a better solution compared to the sealant but i was unsure on if there are any support beams or anything i need to be aware of if i was to drill next to where the aerial currently is. This goes into a back cupboard which would be ideal as out of the way and there is power there already as it is being used on the vision plus booster device (i think thats what it is called) and that doesn't get used.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Before you drill anything...

1.check your damp warranty is not voided by a non professional installation
2. Check your insurance company will cover a self installed aerial.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013

Umm that will make things complicated as i still have a years warranty left on the vehicle and conversion, is it usual for them to void the warranty as if so i will have no choice but to go with either the pole option or remove the existing aerial and fit something over the top of it so no drilling of holes.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Umm that will make things complicated as i still have a years warranty left on the vehicle and conversion, is it usual for them to void the warranty as if so i will have no choice but to go with either the pole option or remove the existing aerial and fit something over the top of it so no drilling of holes.

Number 1. as far as I can tell seems to depend on the converter, it may be in the warranty small print. Obviously if there are any leaks in that area that will now be down to you not a third party installer.

Number 2. Always worth checking as this is an accessory or modification depending on the insurer.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

That's very OTT IMV! The ONLY way they could void a damp claim is if the installation allowed the problem to manifest itself due to it being badly fitted, as for the insurance, they won't give a toss!

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
That's very OTT IMV! The ONLY way they could void a damp claim is if the installation allowed the problem to manifest itself due to it being badly fitted, as for the insurance, they won't give a toss!
Somebody on here was refused insurance recently because of a self installed solar panel. I do realise a solar panel is much more likely to be a combustible item if fitted incorrectly but Better to be safe than sorry where insurance companies are concerned. Allow no get out room at all. The question is asked ' do you have any modifications accessories etc' !!!

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
It's a Ariel that's all,?

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
Small hole,large unit,seals on bottom of unit,plenty of sealant around the hole job done,to much fussing,mines never leaked,prolly would if u had it done professionally

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I dont think i have ever mentioned an accessory like that to the insurers, perhaps i should of but i didnt think it was required as it is just an aerial after all. In fact i havent even mentioned the E&P jacks come to think of it. Never even crossed my mind.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
I dont think i have ever mentioned an accessory like that to the insurers, perhaps i should of but i didnt think it was required as it is just an aerial after all. In fact i havent even mentioned the E&P jacks come to think of it. Never even crossed my mind.
As I understand it (and only that :)) an insurance company will be looking to claim any money they part with back from a third party if possible. So if your E&P Jacks fail and go through the van or it topples over.....somebody will be in the frame. If it's not declared as an accessory that may well be the claimant :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
As I understand it (and only that :)) an insurance company will be looking to claim any money they part with back from a third party if possible. So if your E&P Jacks fail and go through the van or it topples over.....somebody will be in the frame. If it's not declared as a accessory that may well be the claimant :(
I will sort that out asap...

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I want to install a 4G antenna which requires a 25mm hole to be drilled through the roof , i have a Rapido 10000 Tag Axle motorhome. Currently i have a Vision plus Aerial which is mounted inside the back cupboard which i never use.

I have a couple of options

1. Take out the existing vision plus aerial which will involve cleaning all the sikaflex off both outside and in and then using this hole to mount the 4G aerial. From what i can see removing the sikaflex can be a pain even with silicon removal. If i use this option i wont be able to mount a wifi aerial without drilling a bigger hole later if i want one.(we dont use wifi a lot but it does come in handy sometimes and can be messy with wires going through the windows/skylights etc). The wifi solution is also very expensive at £349 which is why i am holding off buying it :(
2. Keep the vision plus hole so i can remove the actual vision aerial and retro fit a wifi aerial in the same hole with no modifications but then i would need to drill another 25mm hole somewhere near the existing hole.

Is there anything i need to check to ensure i dont hit any supports etc, do i need to keep a certain distance from the existing hole as i would like this to go inside the same cupboard.

I can see that if i get someone to do this it is approx £150 which is quite a lot just to drill a 25mm hole as the unit itself is self sealing and i already have power there because of the vision plus amplifier which will be redundant.

Any advice greatly received!
Remove the aerial part of the Vision Plus, mount the 4G aerial on the now spare Vision Plus mast, run 4G cable where the Vision Plus coax ran. No extra holes but a small amount of enjoyable work making an adaptor to fit the 4G aerial to the mast.

Or at least that's what I'd do.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
On a vehicle you will find an omnidirectional antenna will work better than a directional one in general use. Directional antenna are often used in fixed locations but they are not the best everywhere. This is for a broadband connection of course, not WiFi. :)

An omnidirectional MiMo antenna can take signals coming at it from different directions and arriving slightly out of phase with each other. This is what can happen in a built-up area with signals bouncing off walls. In open ground where you can see the transmitter a directional antenna might be better but in this situation the signal is likely to be strong so the potentially reduced performance of an omnidirectional antenna wouldn't matter. It is when you are surrounded by trees, parked vehicles or building you need an omnidirectional MiMo antenna. :)

Have can read of this:

https://www.solwise.co.uk/4g-lte-antenna-considerations.html

Another factor to consider when siting your antenna is how close will the MiFi be? You will lose from memory about 0.5 dB per metre of cable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Remove the aerial part of the Vision Plus, mount the 4G aerial on the now spare Vision Plus mast, run 4G cable where the Vision Plus coax ran. No extra holes but a small amount of enjoyable work making an adaptor to fit the 4G aerial to the mast.

Or at least that's what I'd do.

Thanks, the issue is then finding a reputable antenna that can fit to a pole, been looking at loads today and so far only 1 from solwise which seems to be the only one they do with sma connectors and omni mimo.

On a vehicle you will find an omnidirectional antenna will work better than a directional one in general use. Directional antenna are often used in fixed locations but they are not the best everywhere. This is for a broadband connection of course, not WiFi. :)

An omnidirectional MiMo antenna can take signals coming at it from different directions and arriving slightly out of phase with each other. This is what can happen in a built-up area with signals bouncing off walls. In open ground where you can see the transmitter a directional antenna might be better but in this situation the signal is likely to be strong so the potentially reduced performance of an omnidirectional antenna wouldn't matter. It is when you are surrounded by trees, parked vehicles or building you need an omnidirectional MiMo antenna. :)

Have can read of this:

https://www.solwise.co.uk/4g-lte-antenna-considerations.html

Another factor to consider when siting your antenna is how close will the MiFi be? You will lose from memory about 0.5 dB per metre of cable.

I did read solwise as brought a few bits from them in the past, the router will sit below the aerial in the same cupboard so distance is not a problem. i dont want to be messing about with trying to find a signal so it will have to be the omni antenna.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
These are some pics of the current antenna, not a lot of room to drill another hole...

upload_2018-5-22_17-12-33.jpeg

upload_2018-5-22_17-12-47.jpeg

upload_2018-5-22_17-12-57.jpeg

upload_2018-5-22_17-13-8.jpeg

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
With the anti-hale coating pictured, you are going to need to use sikaflex to bond on the antenna rather than benefit from using the self-sealing installation that our antenna was designed to achieve to a normal smooth roof.

This does mean that you would be able to re-use the existing hole quite easily, as you could cut away most of the remaining sealant and sit the antenna on a fresh bed. By the time you've spent £10 Sikaflex you're only ~£50 away from getting someone to install it for you.

You could probably then sell the Status TV antenna on eBay which would pay for the rest of the install.

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I dont want to be messing about with trying to find a signal so it will have to be the omni antenna.

That reads as if an omnidirectional antenna is second best. :) It isn't and in most circumstances you will get better performance from one than a directional antenna. The one Addy sells is similar to the one I've got and mine has worked well everywhere I've take it - up and down Italy, around Sicily and now in Spain. In one very rural location in Spain the signal was slow (no signal at all on my mobile phone ) but it was useable, everywhere else it has been very fast.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
That reads as if an omnidirectional antenna is second best. :) It isn't and in most circumstances you will get better performance from one than a directional antenna. The one Addy sells is similar to the one I've got and mine has worked well everywhere I've take it - up and down Italy, around Sicily and now in Spain. In one very rural location in Spain the signal was slow (no signal at all on my mobile phone ) but it was useable, everywhere else it has been very fast.
Not so much 2nd best but i know a directional one can go further as the same with a wifi equivalent but for me ease of use is better than messing about.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Not so much 2nd best but i know a directional one can go further as the same with a wifi equivalent but for me ease of use is better than messing about.
Agree, if it takes too much faffing around you're unlikely to bother using it ... we have had directional TV and omnidirectional (flying saucer) TV aerials and actually found that the omni one worked better and was more likely to be used.

Could you stick the 4G antenna to the top of the aerial then just find a way to run the cable down?????

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Agree, if it takes too much faffing around you're unlikely to bother using it ... we have had directional TV and omnidirectional (flying saucer) TV aerials and actually found that the omni one worked better and was more likely to be used.

Could you stick the 4G antenna to the top of the aerial then just find a way to run the cable down?????
If i could find a decent aerial that would certainly be worth a look but all the ones i have seen have no reviews and look quite cheap, i wont buy from outside the uk as all the small aerials i have purchased like this have all been rubbish. Going to stick with ones that are tried and tested as only want to do this once. I will probably go for the one from Addie, if i was getting the wifi equivalent then i would have a lot more to choose from.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
If i could find a decent aerial that would certainly be worth a look but all the ones i have seen have no reviews and look quite cheap, i wont buy from outside the uk as all the small aerials i have purchased like this have all been rubbish. Going to stick with ones that are tried and tested as only want to do this once. I will probably go for the one from Addie, if i was getting the wifi equivalent then i would have a lot more to choose from.
I'm confused now! Why can't you stick the 'flat based' one to the aerial??? o_O

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I'm confused now! Why can't you stick the 'flat based' one to the aerial??? o_O
i'm not sure as the flat based one does not have anyway to secure it as all the connections are through the roof, wont really know till i order one, once i have it i will have more options as can see what i am playing with

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It's worth reading that link to the Solwise website I posted earlier to find out why that assertion is wrong. For WiFi on a campsite etc I have a directional device similar to the iBoost but for broadband the best approach is different. And for the same reason why MiMo WiFi antenna (not directional) are best in a home where the signals bounce off walls and arrive at different times.

But I won't bang on about it any more. :)

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
It's worth reading that link to the Solwise website I posted earlier to find out why that assertion is wrong. For WiFi on a campsite etc I have a directional device similar to the iBoost but for broadband the best approach is different. And for the same reason why MiMo WiFi antenna (not directional) are best in a home where the signals bounce off walls and arrive at different times.

But I won't bang on about it any more. :)

I have already read that info as stated previously. There are always situations where one will be better over the other and as I said earlier I have already decided that I am going for the omni MiMo antenna.

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I’ve got and have fitted the same aerial, personally I wouldn’t bother trying to reuse holes, too labour intensive, I fitted mine in an overhead locker, when it protrudes through the roof it takes up very little space,

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I’ve got and have fitted the same aerial, personally I wouldn’t bother trying to reuse holes, too labour intensive, I fitted mine in an overhead locker, when it protrudes through the roof it takes up very little space,
Thanks, once I order one I will see where it can safely fit as not a lot of room on the roof in relation to the back locker. Just need to get a quite first from a local company Addie mentioned and if they are too busy or too expensive I will have a go myself. I already have the sikaflex and the required tools to do it. It is just the drilling through the roof part on a vehicle that cost 6 figures. Very daunting.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back