What's the best thing about having a push bike with you when you're away in your van? (1 Viewer)

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Bit long-winded, sorry, but I'd be glad if you'd persevere...

I have a folding ebike which is ideal for the van. I took it in my van to the Netherlands, where it was excellent as transport from site to the steam fair I was visiting, but I've barely used it recently. As I know it was a costly gift, I feel guilty that it spends far more time sitting idle than out being used. I also have a 'standard' non-folding hybrid type bike, which I prefer riding but which isn't anywhere near as practical for the van.

I cycled a lot as a kid, but as an adult I was a runner (very slow!) rather than a cyclist.
I'm anxious cycling on roads. I had the great misfortune to pass an accident site where a cyclist had just been killed (these days I think some screens would have been erected so that traffic on the opposite carriageway would not have been able to see), and then a couple of years later was stuck not very far back in traffic after a child was knocked off his bike by a car and critically injured. :cry: I am also overweight and completely unfit after four years of battling with a foot injury, and an apparent inability to get myself back out of the rut that caused. I've basically put on 3/4 stone a year which clearly can't continue without catastrophic consequences.

So please can some of you motorhoming cyclists tell me some of the positives of taking your bikes away with you! And perhaps a bit of encouragement, bearing in mind that my current lack-of-fitness levels mean I'm not likely to go cycle touring in the Lake District any time soon. (And yes, I am aware that exercise is only 10-20% of the weight loss equation, but from times past when I was fit I know that I do a lot better with my eating when my training/exercise is on track.) I'm interested to know how many folk are serious cyclists - ie. who goes away in their van so they can spend a weekend on mountain biking trails, v how many are casual cyclists, who use bikes to get from van to local places of interest, or just for a bit of a tootle about local lanes.

Ta.

20180525-_DSC7261-lo_res.jpg

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I really enjoy the slower pace of cycling. You can stop frequently to take in the scenery and absorb the countryside without being separated by glass and with no engine noise. The electric bike lets me tackle hills that I wouldn’t attempt on a normal bike. I do need a trail bike for one of my favourite routes though. I wouldn’t ride in traffic though ... that’s not my idea of fun.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
For me,it’s just about the enjoyment of cycling. I’m not serious about it,just like pootling about on the bike.

You can cover four times as much ground as you can walking,so get to see more of the surroundings.

Im with you on the road risks though,I try and stick to quiet country lanes,bridleways,towpaths etc. where possible.

Enjoy! :giggle:

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Cycling is one of our hobbies.... motorhoming is a means to convey our bikes to locations...provide us with a place to rest, eat and sleep between cycling....we have been know to carry 4 bikes on a long trip....as others have Armytwowheels springs to mind...

Jun 29, 2020
Paulton
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 685
Exp
Since 2012, Tugger for previous 20 odd years
Just camp on a site close to a cyclepath and get out there. I'm not the most slim line person but my electric bike gets me places I couldn't go on a normal bike because of the state of my knees after years of abuse playing rugby.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
For me,it’s just about the enjoyment of cycling. I’m not serious about it,just like pootling about on the bike.

You can cover four times as much ground as you can walking,so get to see more of the surroundings.

Im with you on the road risks though,I try and stick to quiet country lanes,bridleways,towpaths etc. where possible.

Enjoy! :giggle:
I would say the same applies to us
I very seldom leave the bikes at home
Could do to be using them more at home
They didn't get used last year due to a health issue but the van wasn't out much either

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I enjoy heading somewhere on a Friday night with the mountain bike on the back and staying in a cheap campsite (or even better, a car park) then waking up at a leisurely time and making a coffee and some porridge. Then my non-motorhome-endowed mates turn up, having left home at 6am.

We go for a ride in the Peaks or somewhere in Wales. Stop somewhere picturesque for lunch and eat some squashed Soreen bars and a banana. Then head back to the car park mid afternoon. Normally plastered in mud. I make a quick round of tea in the van. Then they attempt to cover the seats of their cars and head home. I do the same, but first have a nice hot shower and a bit of a chill and feel smug.

IMG-20200725-WA0005.jpg

When I'm on holiday with the wife, we take a pair of Bromptons. She's got the electric version, so she's more than capable at keeping up with me. The Brommies get us into town centres. I've got a basket on the front of mine, so I can carry a good amount of shopping on the return trip. We've got so many good memories because of sights we've seen on the Bromptons.

20190607_114509.jpg

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
The only reason I have the motorhome is so I can ride my bike in different places.
If you look at suitable maps, OS is one of many, you can see where you can ride traffic free.
I recently rode the C2C and about 90% is on traffic free paths.
I'm in Lauder this week, I've done 40 miles on farm lanes and paths and I'll bet I haven't passed 5 cars. All this done from the site gates.

Deleted User
When I cycle it's either for exercise by getting my heart rate up for an hour, or steady pedaling to enjoy the view, or with a panier bag to go shopping. Off in a couple of weeks to ride the Tissington Trail. Always take them to Spain during the winter, great cycling out there, and some killer hills 🚴

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Have a mountain type e-bike and once I get out I can happily meander around for 3-4 hours before I'll succumb to an afternoon bite at an attractive pub and undo the few calories I've burnt off. I'll take it with me on most trips where I think there might be a cycling opportunity, but I can also prove quite apathetic. That in two years of ownership I've only done about a 1000miles says a lot.

Took my bike with me to the Thetford meet but was put off by the busy A road that I'd have had to do a couple of miles before getting into the quieter forest side lanes, so it stayed on the back of the van. I really enjoy places like the New Forest where there are networks of gravelled trails linked by quieter roads. I have no idea how to ride a bike on anything that sort of looks narrow and twisty. For me the bike and motorhome is about flexibility of something to do to enjoy getting out and about, when I can summon up a bit of willpower and energy. Once I'm out I enjoy it, but getting motivated to get out is always a challenge.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
We have electric bikes which has opened up a whole host of opportunities to visit places we could have missed without them. I have an app which recommends various circular routes at various degrees of difficulty. We love them and can easily cover 20 miles in a day and we are both well into our sixties!

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Similar to Guigsy , love mountain biking and the van has allowed access to some of the best spots in Uk and Europe And trips are planned around this. The bikes give us transport whilst pitched up too and somewhere to come back to to wash and relax. This was a memorable stop a long while ago with previous van at Leogang
7CBB0E7D-88D6-41EC-A4B8-9C04B7BA61B3.jpeg

Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
We have electric bikes which has opened up a whole host of opportunities to visit places we could have missed without them. I have an app which recommends various circular routes at various degrees of difficulty. We love them and can easily cover 20 miles in a day and we are both well into our sixties!
Hi SW, that sounds like an excellent cycle route App, please would you mind sharing the name please?

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Try Naviki
It sets up locally preferred routes from your location but there is a facility to add a destination and then loads of waypoints along the route via the map.
There is also voice control so you can keep the phone in your pocket but I have a quad lock case and handlebar gismo that allows you to see the screen.
Used to A frame a car but find the ebike for us is a better opinion.

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
Try “Traffic Free Cycle Routes” by Nick Cotton. Lots of flat low traffic cycle routes to choose from all over the UK.

Cheers!

Russ

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
So please can some of you motorhoming cyclists tell me some of the positives of taking your bikes away with you!
50kg of e-bikes in the garage helps to keep the back end on the road. :LOL:

Must admit our bikes spend longer in the garage than out of it, not for want of trying, our problem is we often end up in the mountains, not ideal for cycling.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Our motorhome is for the purpose of taking our bikes to different places. As my Spanish dwelling buddy jumar mentioned, it is all about getting to the right location and then exploring. If we find a good route we might do it twice or even thrice.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
The C&CC have 3 Walking and Cycling groups and we joined the Wessex one's meet near Bath last weekend. They have meets every fortnight at present. A load of nice and friendly people.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
We have 2 AS E-Bikes. When touring, camping or wild camping it is often difficult to park the motorhome in places where there are shops. We can carry a weeks supply of groceries, milk or beer in the carrier bags. They also allow us to explore further than even the most enthusiastic walker could do.

Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
Wife and I always load the bikes on back of van when away. Like you she’s not keen on cycling on the roads and as we get older we prefer most things flat ie. walks and cycles. To that end she usually looks for canal paths or old train tracks and we’ve cycled lots of really nice, scenic trails this way. Only time I ever cycle is when away in van so not a regular and we only have old bikes hence reason we don’t like hills that are too big. It is great exercise though regardless of how gentle you want to take it.

The Lord Squid

Free Member
Dec 28, 2016
The West Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleepers panel van
Exp
since 2017
Similar to Guigsy , love mountain biking and the van has allowed access to some of the best spots in Uk and Europe And trips are planned around this. The bikes give us transport whilst pitched up too and somewhere to come back to to wash and relax. This was a memorable stop a long while ago with previous van at Leogang
View attachment 502565
I've never seen a Turner before. I'm eagerly awaiting delivery of a new Orange (electric version) and trying to work out how I'll fit such a long, slack bike inside my Autosleepers panel van.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
I've never seen a Turner before. I'm eagerly awaiting delivery of a new Orange (electric version) and trying to work out how I'll fit such a long, slack bike inside my Autosleepers panel van.
Very nice! Don’t forget to post some pictures! Quite a conundrum getting it in the van then! I guess at least front wheel will come out and a fork mount to the floor or something ? I use the Radfazz system. (May give you some ideas.). The Turner has served me very well. I’ve taken it to Canada and done Tour de Mont Blanc on it amongst loads of other stuff. It’s getting on a bit now but still a great bike. I can’t justify swapping it just yet. Next one might be electric so be interested how you get on with the Orange.

The Lord Squid

Free Member
Dec 28, 2016
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleepers panel van
Exp
since 2017
Tonks. I always travel with a Brompton folding bike, (with 2 when I'm not by myself) but if it's too hot I don't use it, although rain doesn't put me off. I use it mostly for cycling around cities but have spent some time in the hills around Interlaken in Switzerland. A bike gives a different perspective on a place. If I didn't take it I'd be bound to miss it. A few months back I ordered an electric mountain bike which I'll take instead whenever it will be more suitable. I'd encourage you to try the bike on canal towpaths and I'm sure you'll get more comfortable with it.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
dont forget the endorphines when cycling excersising, which gives you more motivation, feels better, then the circle begins once a habit is formed.

The Lord Squid

Free Member
Dec 28, 2016
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleepers panel van
Exp
since 2017
Very nice! Don’t forget to post some pictures! Quite a conundrum getting it in the van then! I guess at least front wheel will come out and a fork mount to the floor or something ? I use the Radfazz system. (May give you some ideas.). The Turner has served me very well. I’ve taken it to Canada and done Tour de Mont Blanc on it amongst loads of other stuff. It’s getting on a bit now but still a great bike. I can’t justify swapping it just yet. Next one might be electric so be interested how you get on with the Orange.
Going by its measurements I think an Evoc travel bag will fit behind the passenger seat and I'll secure it with ratchet straps. The seats in the van don't swivel and aren't used when parked up so I'd put the bagged bike on the seats when camping. Alternatively I've a tow bar so could get an Altera or the like but I'd rather have the bike in the van. The prices of the bikes have been increasing a lot over the past few years (to put perspective on it it's costing about 3 times the value of my 900cc motorbike) but I decided to stop dithering and get one whilst I'm still active.
I'll take a look at Radfazz, thanks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back