What's the best thing about having a push bike with you when you're away in your van? (1 Viewer)

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
Here's a few to choose from.
Screenshot_20210711_181158_com.android.chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210711_181158_com.android.chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210711_181036_com.android.chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210711_180908_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210711_180908_com.android.chrome.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 18

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We got back yesterday after 9 days in Northumberland. Lugged the folding bike with a SWYTCH e-conversion, in a bag on the rack. Used it a couple times just for fun but was it worth the bother? Well the wife running along side trying to hold back the dog from chasing me me thought NOT!🤣
One of our dogs tried to follow me when I went for a paddle in my kayak on a river which we were parked by in a MH area, she managed to get past my hubby and run towards where she last thought she'd seen me ... apparently he had a heck of a job to get her to stop and he got a lot of (unintentional) exercise in the process. :LOL:

Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
We chose our current motorhome on the basis of housing our pair of e-bikes in the garage. We use them every time we go away, often a ride for the full day (30 miles or so) and then maybe a trip to the pub or town as long as we can keep an eye on them, too expensive to leave around. We used to cycle, but these just allow us to go further and for longer - we love them.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
We have 2 folding Ebikes that fit in the garage, purposely bought for that reason and the fact I struggle walking, without mine i’d be a campsite prisoner more or less.

They allow us to get out and about a whole lot more tbh, the problem I have is the missus loves walking everywhere so I end up wobbling slowly along with her and have been know you fall off once or twice especially after a night on the beer 🤣

I wouldn’t be without mine tbh as it’s give me a nice work out in usually very pleasant surroundings, exercise, it’s the only time I get any 😉

I’ve had an Armitage chassis mounted bike rack fitted now so they live on their as they garage is now full of seats, tables, and all sorts of paraphernalia 😂

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
I bag the front wheels that I remove from our bike but not the frames. If you remove both wheels to bag the bike I assume you will also have to straighten the steering bars, and won’t the bike frame then be sitting on its derailleur?? That won’t be good for it.
Yeah had a look at that 5 mins I can unbolt the derailleur and wrap it. Will see how it goes I've ordered a bag just now and I'll see how it works out. At the moment I leave the rear wheels on and have the front forks in wheels clamps bolted to a couple of pieces of wood for the mtbs.
Even if I only use the bag for my road bike can squeeze it in the van without anything getting damaged.

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Bit long-winded, sorry, but I'd be glad if you'd persevere...

I have a folding ebike which is ideal for the van. I took it in my van to the Netherlands, where it was excellent as transport from site to the steam fair I was visiting, but I've barely used it recently. As I know it was a costly gift, I feel guilty that it spends far more time sitting idle than out being used. I also have a 'standard' non-folding hybrid type bike, which I prefer riding but which isn't anywhere near as practical for the van.

I cycled a lot as a kid, but as an adult I was a runner (very slow!) rather than a cyclist.
I'm anxious cycling on roads. I had the great misfortune to pass an accident site where a cyclist had just been killed (these days I think some screens would have been erected so that traffic on the opposite carriageway would not have been able to see), and then a couple of years later was stuck not very far back in traffic after a child was knocked off his bike by a car and critically injured. :cry: I am also overweight and completely unfit after four years of battling with a foot injury, and an apparent inability to get myself back out of the rut that caused. I've basically put on 3/4 stone a year which clearly can't continue without catastrophic consequences.

So please can some of you motorhoming cyclists tell me some of the positives of taking your bikes away with you! And perhaps a bit of encouragement, bearing in mind that my current lack-of-fitness levels mean I'm not likely to go cycle touring in the Lake District any time soon. (And yes, I am aware that exercise is only 10-20% of the weight loss equation, but from times past when I was fit I know that I do a lot better with my eating when my training/exercise is on track.) I'm interested to know how many folk are serious cyclists - ie. who goes away in their van so they can spend a weekend on mountain biking trails, v how many are casual cyclists, who use bikes to get from van to local places of interest, or just for a bit of a tootle about local lanes.

Ta.

View attachment 502495
I have the exact same bike in green....5 years now...would be lost without it....very handy for popping to the shops 3 or 4 miles away. At night I chain it to the towbar at the back. keep the battery inside the van.

The Lord Squid

Free Member
Dec 28, 2016
The West Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleepers panel van
Exp
since 2017
I bag the front wheels that I remove from our bike but not the frames. If you remove both wheels to bag the bike I assume you will also have to straighten the steering bars, and won’t the bike frame then be sitting on its derailleur?? That won’t be good for it.
I'll be getting one of these when my eMTB arrives, provided I can safely store it inside a panel van conversion. The bike (wheels, bar and pedals removed) sits on a rack inside the bag. https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/evoc-pro-bike-travel-bag-310-litres-/rp-prod164927

Michael Rennison

Free Member
Apr 28, 2019
Upton, Newark, Nottinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti 700mx
Exp
Since 2016
We take the tandem everywhere and if it's France then the Vespa on the back and the tandem in bits in the garage. Why a tandem - it's great for chatting whilst riding and reduces the stress of constantly moving over for cars or having to wait for one another. Sara hates hills but I love them - so I give them full gas and she can give me a turbo boost when I need it. Not for everyone but it works for us.

Attachments

• 20210530_174943.jpg
    20210530_174943.jpg
    485.9 KB · Views: 21
Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
We were on holiday in SW Scotland recently and there were a few times when we'd have used bikes to have a toddle into the local town, down the prom etc, but we only had one folding bike as hubby has a gammy hip and knee so stopped riding thus just one for me for the odd time we may need something. When we got home he mentioned getting a bike again but I knew full well he wouldn't ride it so he started looking at electrics and due to my current health issues I know I wouldn't be able to comfortably ride an unassisted bike at present either, consequently we have bought a couple of second hand Juicy folding electric bikes to see how we get on with them, as we're hoping to have another UK holiday at some point it will give us the opportunity to explore some of the cycle ways etc rather than just slobbing out in the camping chairs. :giggle:

Just gotta sort out charging them when away in the MH, I think I'll end up putting a socket in the garage linked to the 12v system rather than have to have them inside the hab area but will wait until the MH is out of warranty otherwise hubby will have kittens. :LOL:
Love to hear how you get on with them..👍

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
The best thing is having panniers…
Did the Strawberry Line in Somerset today ( well a bit of it) and got loads of cider from Thatchers brewery in the panniers ( bottled obv)
Perfect!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Dec 16, 2015
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years
For us cycling is a very important part of the camping experience. Nearby cycle trails or the site being on quiet roads is an important part of our campsite selection criteria.
We recently went away to Fakenham Racecourse site and didnt take the bikes due to me meeting other non cyclists and really regretted not taking them. Especially when we found every car park in Well-next-the-sea has a height barrier. Also having to search for and pay for car parks is something we are not used to.

In terms of apps, ive been using ViewRanger for years, usually check both the os 50000 maps and the OpenCycleMap too when not sure about routes.

Recently started looking in to ebikes as think they would be fun, and would extend our cycling range - however put off by weight limits on bike rack (35kg on our 2 bike rear door rack), plus security of expensive bikes - so will probably hold off until/if I ever change to a van with an internal garage,

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
We take our tandem every time we go away. We have done some stunning rides in France, Spain and the Canaries.

I too have knackered knees, but cycling is fine for them. We only started seriously cycling 5 years ago and it is amazing what you can do if you stick at it. Joining a club also helps keep the motivation up.

If you can, try and keep cycling over the winter, we use a smart trainer and Rouvy which keeps up the fitness as the weather can be a bit rubbish in Scotland at times!

What ever you decide good luck.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back