What's draining my batteries? (1 Viewer)

Dec 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero EK600
Exp
Getting there owner since 2021
Not used the MH in a few weeks, maybe a month. Went to get a couple of things out of it last week and had to manually open the door as both leisure and van battery were flat.
Charged both up and all seemed ok. Went to put some stuff in yesterday and flat again, I can't see anything on. Anyone any ideas?

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Strange that they are both flat. Due to that I would be looking at something that is associated with both systems.

Charger, solar, that sort of thing.

What have you got installed.

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hab radio was the problem with mine, the first time it happened. It looks like it's off but it is actually on stand by.

Last time it was something.. I think called solarnoid (?).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DMC65
Dec 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero EK600
Exp
Thanks for the replies. I'm currently charging again and will go over everything once charged. I couldn't understand why both would discharge though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DMC65
Dec 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero EK600
Exp
I think it may get be the cd/radio. Red standby light was on so I've just taken the facia off completely and I'll check to see if that works.

Upvote 1
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
If you really want to know what is happening you need to get busy with a DC clamp meter. 20191209_153825.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DMC65
Dec 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero EK600
Exp
I'm now revisiting this problem to try and solve after a family bereavement.
I'm almost certain the leisure battery is goosed.
I've charged using the hook up and had it at 13.4 only for it to drop to 10.3 within 2 days. Tested with the hookup on and it is showing around 14.4 and with the engine on and showing roughly the same. So I assume it's taking a charge ok but not holding it.
The engine battery is holding up after a charge but if left too long it seems to drain after the leisure battery drains. That's what I can't get my head round.
Is it safe to assume the leisure battery is done? To be honest I'd rather buy a AGM A class anyway as it's more suited to us than the wet cell C class.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I'm now revisiting this problem to try and solve after a family bereavement.
I'm almost certain the leisure battery is goosed.
I've charged using the hook up and had it at 13.4 only for it to drop to 10.3 within 2 days. Tested with the hookup on and it is showing around 14.4 and with the engine on and showing roughly the same. So I assume it's taking a charge ok but not holding it.
The engine battery is holding up after a charge but if left too long it seems to drain after the leisure battery drains. That's what I can't get my head round.
Is it safe to assume the leisure battery is done? To be honest I'd rather buy a AGM A class anyway as it's more suited to us than the wet cell C class.
Well at least you know your alternator and charger are working. It would take around 36hrs or even longer to fully charge a flat battery and simply replacing the battery will not change the cause of your problem as you may well end up in the same situation again if you do nothing else.
Time for you to consider getting some solar panels installed IMO. The more the merrier. As for a new battery, look at the pure carbon AGM batteries and make sure your charger can manage the charging profile required. Same with your Solar Panel regulator if you get splar installed.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DMC65
Dec 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero EK600
Exp
Thanks for the reply. I have no idea how old the battery is as we only bought the MH this year and I'm almost certain the drain was from the radio which I have removed the fascia when not in use. I think it's probably been damaged by being discharged completely. Plus I'm useless with electrics.
Which brings me on to my next question. How do I know if my charger can manage the charging profile.

Attachments

• IMG_20211018_130256.jpg
    IMG_20211018_130256.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 53
Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Thanks for the reply. I have no idea how old the battery is as we only bought the MH this year and I'm almost certain the drain was from the radio which I have removed the fascia when not in use. I think it's probably been damaged by being discharged completely. Plus I'm useless with electrics.
Which brings me on to my next question. How do I know if my charger can manage the charging profile.
It says "see manual for other types"

I'd go with a gel battery myself, more useable discharge range and long life 😎

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
If your Motorhome is Fiat / Peugeot based it is not unusual for the engine battery to loose its charge over a few weeks period, if not driven or charged, due to the very small but constant power drain from the van electronics (ECU etc), The leisure battery going flat should not effect the starter battery or drain it and if you are sure nothing is being left on, as it should not drop that much ,you could disconnect the leisure battery, after it is charged again, to confirm if it is still going down or not with nothing connected when you reconnect it after a couple of days. { It does look like it could be a faulty leisure battery with a duff cell though)
If you do not have a manual for that battery charger and its battery type information it can be downloaded from the Sargent Electrical website.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Even with everything off, my hab battery has 0.3A of drain. That'll drain even a healthy battery in about a week. It was only a year old when we got it, but I'm pretty sure the battery has been goosed already. It seems to drop voltage very quickly with very little load on it. I've recently added solar, so it is being supported at the moment, but the damage has already been done.

Upvote 1
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I too have the same charger and here is the manual for it.

Attachments

• Sargent Battery Charger PX300 (1).pdf
    111 KB · Views: 53
Upvote 0
OP
OP
DMC65
Dec 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero EK600
Exp
This place is invaluable. Thanks to everyone

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Even with everything off, my hab battery has 0.3A of drain. That'll drain even a healthy battery in about a week. It was only a year old when we got it, but I'm pretty sure the battery has been goosed already. It seems to drop voltage very quickly with very little load on it. I've recently added solar, so it is being supported at the moment, but the damage has already been done.
I wouldn't put up with that, our battery only has a 0.002a drain with the main switch off.

I think later vans have the heating controller powered up all the time so it can run the fan to cool off even if the main switch is off.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I wouldn't put up with that, our battery only has a 0.002a drain with the main switch off.

I think later vans have the heating controller powered up all the time so it can run the fan to cool off even if the main switch is off.
I think Geist/LMC did an experiment with Truma. There are almost no fuses. Everything uses modules and provides data back to the Truma app. I can see voltages, charge levels, water levels, etc. through the Truma app. But it means there's always a drain on the battery. Maybe it goes to sleep eventually, but after an hour, it's still pulling juice.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yep, sounds like your leisure battery is goosed.
I wouldn't fit an AGM they are about the worst choice for leisure use.
You mention A Class battery if you are looking at the NCC list that is total bollocks arrived at by figures supplied by the manufacturers no actual testing done.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DMC65
Dec 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero EK600
Exp
Yep, sounds like your leisure battery is goosed.
I wouldn't fit an AGM they are about the worst choice for leisure use.
You mention A Class battery if you are looking at the NCC list that is total bollocks arrived at by figures supplied by the manufacturers no actual testing done.
Now I'm back to being confused. I thought AGM batteries were better for leisure use.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Now I'm back to being confused. I thought AGM batteries were better for leisure use.
They are very unpredictable some people have had a reasonable life out of them but a lot like me they have not lasted much more than a year.
Current van came with an AGM, I replaced it straight away with 3 Gels as we rely on our batteries.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
There has been some poor reports about AGM batteries when used as a Leisure battery and some members on here as you will now be aware of. have no confidence in them what-so-ever. However, there is now a new (ish!) dedicated AGM leisure/deep cycle battery made from pure lead carbon that is reported to out perform the previous types of AGM batteries and a number of manufacturers are now producing them. If you look at the technical details of this 100 AH battery, (similar to other pure carbon lead AGM batteries) you can see it is very impressive. Time will show no doubt just how good they really are. I intend to fit these on my next battery change.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
There has been some poor reports about AGM batteries when used as a Leisure battery and some members on here as you will now be aware of. have no confidence in them what-so-ever. However, there is now a new (ish!) dedicated AGM leisure/deep cycle battery made from pure lead carbon that is reported to out perform the previous types of AGM batteries and a number of manufacturers are now producing them. If you look at the technical details of this 100 AH battery, (similar to other pure carbon lead AGM batteries) you can see it is very impressive. Time will show no doubt just how good they really are. I intend to fit these on my next battery change.

What's the advantage over LiFePo4 batteries? Like standard lead-acids, you don't want to discharge them too deeply. It looks like a 100Ah lead-carbon has about the same working capacity as a 60Ah lithium, at which point the costs are similar. They don't charge and discharge as fast as lithiums. And like lithiums, you can't charge them below 0C.

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014

What's the maximum recommended discharge depth?

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
They are significantly cheaper ! Also, if I have read the product information correctly they can be charged up to -40c
A 60Ah LiFePO4 battery will be about the same effective capacity. They are about £350, so lead-carbon are cheaper, but that margin is being eroded very quickly. And the Lithium is smaller and lighter and can be run harder.

The info sheet says discharge down to -40C. Charge is above 0C. So similar limitations to lithiums.

Do you need a specific charger profile for lead-carbon?

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
A 60Ah LiFePO4 battery will be about the same effective capacity. They are about £350, so lead-carbon are cheaper, but that margin is being eroded very quickly. And the Lithium is smaller and lighter and can be run harder.

The info sheet says discharge down to -40C. Charge is above 0C. So similar limitations to lithiums.

Do you need a specific charger profile for lead-carbon?
I stand corrected ! Old man eyes! It does say charge down to 0. deg. (I wonder how many motorhome battery storage locations get down to zero degrees in winter ?).
I have no idea how a LifePO4 60 AH will perform and do accept lithium batteries out perform pure lead carbon batteries (and I never suggested anything otherwise, just pointing out to the OP of a new type of AGM deep cycle batteries available in the market place, that theu may want to consider). As for the charging profile, this particular pure lead battery should be fine with most standard lead acid battery chargers. Again the detail is there to be seen in the product description. I still intend to purchase them and at £240.0 each they appear to be a good buy.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back