What's caused this staining in my new motorhome ? (1 Viewer)

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
DSC_2775.JPG

Had the van since December. Not noticed this before but it could have been there already as we have just lowered the island bed for the 1st time. It's at the far end of the van. Really hoping it's not water ingress!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
It looks pink on my screen, adhesive maybe?
Unexeptable whatever it is .
Like a doctor does with a rash mark the length of it with a pencil dot and see if it's still growing.
If it does grow that would suggests water ingress and maybe dye from insulation.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
can you see whats behind the panel? it looks like pipework in the 'cut out bit' from the photo. perhaps its leaking or previously leaked?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
can you see whats behind the panel? it looks like pipework in the 'cut out bit' from the photo. perhaps its leaking or previously leaked?
The cubby hole is just for phone charging etc. Cable and headphones is probably what you can see.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
It’ll be fine as it’s only 3 months old.

Only slight concern is our 12 month roadtrip starts in less than 3 weeks. Will make for an interesting beginning to the thread we’ll start!

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Looks like serious damp that has caused the colouring in the insulation to leach out through the wallboard. I would have it checked out quickly with a damp meter and chase up your dealer for a repair. ASAP.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Went over to see Helen & Paul this afternoon to have a look.

Certain it's not damp, the stain is on the panel that forms the side of the wardrobe & cubby hole. It's an internal wall and where it meets the rear wall which is an outside wall there is no staining on the rear wall.
Paul said they only noticed it when they lowered the bed, with the bed in the high position that part of the wall is in the garage.
Tending to think that something at some time has been in contact with the wall that has reacted with the plastic laminate. They did say it was a stock van that the dealer had in stock for a while so something could have been stored in the garage.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We have had staining on a panel in our shower/loo. It's a panel with the plastic "leatherette" stuff stuck on it. The staining is yellow (no sniggering :)) and occurs wherever anything rubs against the surface. So there is a yellow stain where the loo roll touches it. You can see this in two places in the photo below. We replaced the loo roll holder and there are yellow marks where the old one was, which was a slightly different shape. The yellow smudge behind the roll itself isn't a shadow, it is discolouration. Murvi replaced the panel FOC a couple of years ago when it was five years old and it developed extensive staining. They accepted it was faulty but this staining is much more localised and seems different. Don't blame me, my aim isn't that bad. :)

My guess it is a reaction to something touching it. As klaatu suggests, possibly linked to humidity. Perhaps the OP has a similar issue but it has turned a tasteful pink.

IMG_20200310_182309.jpg

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
I must admit, my first thought was that it looks like something has rubbed the surface off the wallboard and exposed the pink layer underneath

Upvote 0

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
It’ll be fine as it’s only 3 months old.

Only slight concern is our 12 month roadtrip starts in less than 3 weeks. Will make for an interesting beginning to the thread we’ll start!
Don't assume that because its only three months old it will be fine. Our new Elddis caravan was rejected as not fit for purpose after just 3 weeks of use.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Don't assume that because its only three months old it will be fine. Our new Elddis caravan was rejected as not fit for purpose after just 3 weeks of use.

I hope it doesn’t come to that! What I meant was that it’ll be sorted one way or another.

Spoke to the dealer, emailed over pics. Now awaiting their response.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
I must admit, my first thought was that it looks like something has rubbed the surface off the wallboard and exposed the pink layer underneath

It is quite a strange stain but nothing has rubbed off to reveal it. The only reason we’ve noticed it is that we put the bed down for the first time over the weekend.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Stuck my damp meter that we have for checking our logs on the offending stain and it read 28%. All around it and in similar areas read 17% so it’s definitely more moist!
Booked in for end of May to get sorted.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That's high but having seen it and the fact the rear panel is not affected I don't think it is caused by any water ingress, something has happened to that panel but what, not a clue.
Even 17% is a high in a new van but with the weather we have had over the last few months, everything is damp.

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Stuck my damp meter that we have for checking our logs on the offending stain and it read 28%. All around it and in similar areas read 17% so it’s definitely more moist!
Booked in for end of May to get sorted.
When the bed is up, does it touch the panel? Have you checked the bed for any marking? Has anything been spilt on the bed?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Helen Ariel
Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
When the bed is up, does it touch the panel? Have you checked the bed for any marking? Has anything been spilt on the bed?

It certainly looks like something has been spilt on it in the pic!

It’s a manual wind up bed and has an elastic ‘skirt’ all round so it doesn’t really touch, but it’s unmarked where you’d expect there to be a corresponding stain.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back