Whats Acceptable In A Floor Damp Repair (1 Viewer)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
As per title. CAN a part of the floor be replaced in a modern vehicle? Would it be best to insist the damage is replaced or let it be filled with hardener?

The floor is... made up of a 6mm plywood, then polystyrene, then another 6mm external floor plywood. Van is less than 2 yrs old so under warranty.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
me too its a new van i would be gutted and want the van replaced.. is that a real option i dont know but that would be my knee jerk reaction to the dealer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
No finance, we bought it used at 15 months with 1000 miles on the clock. This has came to light after 5 month of ownership.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Less than 2 years personally I would want a new floor or a new van. Is it on finance?
maybe an idea to look to get an motorhome independent engineers assessment. then if it was repaired i would want some form of long term warranty on the work carried out and the cause clearly identified and dealt with.
Water ingress coming from the roof. The walls "should" apparently dry out.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
WOW!
perhaps you could look for some sort of clout to use with the dealer both now and after repair.. that could be in the form of an independent report on the problem followed by a written warranty to cover all the work and extended to the rest of the bodywork. possibly independant damp check after 6 months and 12 months to ensure its not returning.

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
How waterproof are the internal facing of the walls?

If they are non -porous how does the water vapour in the walls escape?.

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Has the Motorcaravan been tested as being damp through a Habitation Check ?
How bad is the damp? High readings, visible damage ?

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
How waterproof are the internal facing of the walls?

If they are non -porous how does the water vapour in the walls escape?.

No idea TBH, Its another Q I need to ask
Sorry irnbru, but for me I’d expect no damp at all.
Ofcourse we did but now it is what it is and how to go forward is the subject.
Has the Motorcaravan been tested as being damp through a Habitation Check ?
How bad is the damp? High readings, visible damage ?

It was tested in front of the furniture that holds the damp at a reading of 9, the damp thats came to light is inside the furniture at 38%. Visible stains at flooring edge.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if sealed correctly, it "might" dry out ok and just leave a stain. Otherwise it's a major job, remove furniture in the area, strip out rotten ply, patch in new ply and reassemble.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
if sealed correctly, it "might" dry out ok and just leave a stain. Otherwise it's a major job, remove furniture in the area, strip out rotten ply, patch in new ply and reassemble.
But a patch in job isn't gonna be as good as new or is it?

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Hi Sandra
What a horrible unexpected surprise for you to discover after only 5 months of ownership.
I hope your dealer warranty holds up for this problem, as others have said its not so much the fix, but the cause that needs to be fully addressed to stop it happening again or even spreading.
Good luck with your negotiations, hope you get the outcome that resolves everything, you dont need this in your life with such a short ownership period.
Keep us posted on your dealer reaction & suggestions,your van cant be the only one, and Marquis(main import dealer) have been quoted to have sold over 200 in the first year of roll out.
Good luck.
LES

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That's bad news.
How has it got damp is the question?
Without examining don't really know whats caused it, maybe just a leaky wheel arch and not too serious.
But could be coming from the leaky walls, the floor is the first thing that goes on the chassis then the walls are fitted on top, damp is most likely to be coming from the walls I don't see how it could be satisfactorily repaired if that is the case.

I wouldn't have thought the floor is 6mm, normally 2 or 3mm ply.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
if as has been said the a roof leak is the cause then it would have to quite a serious leak to wet the wall, furniture and the floor to the extent that it has in 5 months mostly of summer OR the leak has been there for some time, is that why the previous owner changed perhaps!

citizens advice on fit for purpose advice perhaps.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Aw Sandra, I'm so sorry to hear that your new pride & joy has let you down.
Was this related to the "wet" toilet door?

You know where we are & you have our number if you need any help/support x.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
To my mind they need to fix the cause.....
Fix or rather replace with new ALL the damage....
If it's coming from the roof, down the walls & into the floor including any furniture that has warped I doubt they will want to take all that on, SO, if they are not willing to return it to the way it should be, it simply is not fit for purpose in any way shape or form.
I tried to phone, it went to AP, speak soon.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Sorry to read this Sandra, like others have said I’d expect no damp in a van that age.

If you haven’t already I’d get on to your dealer and if no joy then the manufacturer as it will still be under warranty.

Good luck

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
what a bummer is it one of those vans with a long manufacturers water ingress warranty?
Know you didn't buy it on finance but did you pay any of the price by CC, if so get onto your CC company.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
That's bad news.
How has it got damp is the question?
Without examining don't really know whats caused it, maybe just a leaky wheel arch and not too serious.
But could be coming from the leaky walls, the floor is the first thing that goes on the chassis then the walls are fitted on top, damp is most likely to be coming from the walls I don't see how it could be satisfactorily repaired if that is the case.

I wouldn't have thought the floor is 6mm, normally 2 or 3mm ply.
It was the dealer that told me the make up of floor. The wall is showing no damp due to the construction of wall. Would appear water has been dripping down as per photo attached. Leak coming from under roof cap so new one has been ordered.
if as has been said the a roof leak is the cause then it would have to quite a serious leak to wet the wall, furniture and the floor to the extent that it has in 5 months mostly of summer OR the leak has been there for some time, is that why the previous owner changed perhaps!

citizens advice on fit for purpose advice perhaps.
I agree its most likely been there prior to our ownership OR its happened while sitting in driveway, I know the water was pooling on the roof around the leak area.
Aw Sandra, I'm so sorry to hear that your new pride & joy has let you down.
Was this related to the "wet" toilet door?

You know where we are & you have our number if you need any help/support x.

Thanks, but we have never had a wet toilet door. Its Alans big bday today so will ring Hazel later after we come home from meal.
what a bummer is it one of those vans with a long manufacturers water ingress warranty?
Know you didn't buy it on finance but did you pay any of the price by CC, if so get onto your CC company.

No unfortunately it was debit card.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
good point raised on manufacturers ingress warranty at 2 years old would be very surprised if its still not covered.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
good point raised on manufacturers ingress warranty at 2 years old would be very surprised if its still not covered.
Might be void if damp check not carried out by one of their dealers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back