Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
After a frantic ten days , was working on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day ; house teeming with guests before this- and Beloved Daughter, hubby and grandkids ; Nephew-his wife and adorable Bouncing baby [aka 9 locusts !! ]for 3 days from Boxing Day decided I want A Rest in the middle of nowhere .
To add to plans aka chaos we are collecting Oldest-allgrownup grandson from Luton Airport Friday[how I missed him !] setting him down at Swindon on Saturday to get the train home [cheaper - more trains etc ]
So I have just this moment found myself sitting - yaaay - and hatched a possible plan to go to Avebury for New Years Eve Day ; hug the quiet, quiet, solemn stones that ask for nothing after drop off at station Saturday .
Want to go in the van - {if it starts :rolleyes:been busy but it is drained down etc }
Dont expect we will be able to overnight in the Nat Trust car park , so plan B would be to go to ? Malmesbury or near Lechlade and wild park ; new Jigsaws; play Azul/Scrabble - drink wine eat cheese and bread [I/we have cooked 3 x a day for what seems like a month ] then drive home slowly on Sunday .
Any advice of any kind but especially of dark, quiet parking in this area would be gratefully received [and yes we know some people think wild camping is a capital offence - so please accept my heartfelt Unapologetic greetings ] Ideally somewhere totally quiet and spiritual - with parking :sneaky: .
Love and Happy 2023 to everyone , lang may yer lums reek xxx

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
LMC Liberty 560 1992
Exp
Since 2017
I'm sorry I cannot be any good to you about the location but I'm absolutely loving the vibe and I think you should look on park4nite.com and also check out googlemaps to see if you can track down a legal parking, even if not exactly where you want to be but close to it and then just do it! I want to do what you want to do but am trapped against it by kids with ear infections and exes with inflections.... go for it!!!!!

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021

Have a look on here there are lots of options

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
You deserve a break! Go for it … no idea where any of those places are but standing stones snd scrabble - what a great idea!

sedge

Funster
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Aug 09 to date
I've known about Avebury since my late teens when I worked for an insurance company and we insured whoever lived at Avebury Manor at the time - it's in Wiltshire but nowhere near as imposing standing stones as that other place, but quite possibly (if not definitely by now, I'm not certain) older.

My original Diabetes consultant in the early 1970s - a Teaching Prof at Birmingham Uni Medical School who also covered Kidderminster General Hospital on Mondays cos he lived at Bewdley and offered to 'fit in' there as he wound down towards retirement - anyway donkeys years later I found out he lived at the Manor too. However I have never visited. Just a bit of useless trivia ....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sprinter 416 Auto
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Any good for you?

Last edited:

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I can't help either but also loving your thoughts. Avebury has been on my list for a while so please will you do an update?

Not sure if Jenben might have any parking info?

I hope you manage to find that special spot & happy 2023 to you too.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
here’s a spot at Everleigh on Salisbury Plain there will be dog walkers around in the mornings but it’s usually very quiet and there won’t be any troops on excercise as the will still be on leave.near Sidbury Hill ancient hill fort.😊
Here is a precise what3words address, made of 3 random words. Every 3 metre square in the world has its own unique what3words address.

///pheasants.craziest.studio

enjoy 😊

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Lechlade Memorial Hall looks a possible. I've noticed a fair number of 'village halls' that have parking that may be suitable whilst browsing GoogleEarth.
Unfortunately the hall has yet to embrace the concept of overnight motorhome parking ( I am local ). It is also on a route home for lots of folk from the pub so might not be that peaceful.

Kirsten a lot of vans park overnight at the riverside parking as given by jollyrodger it should be fine there as it’s regularly used.

There is also parking on the road to Buscot ( there is a wide lay-by on the road down towards The Trout) , vans often park there. It’s set back from the road itself .

Otherwise vans often park in a tiny spot called the cheese wharf but that might be very muddy as it’s on the riverbank.

If you want any info just pm me.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
After a frantic ten days , was working on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day ; house teeming with guests before this- and Beloved Daughter, hubby and grandkids ; Nephew-his wife and adorable Bouncing baby [aka 9 locusts !! ]for 3 days from Boxing Day decided I want A Rest in the middle of nowhere .
To add to plans aka chaos we are collecting Oldest-allgrownup grandson from Luton Airport Friday[how I missed him !] setting him down at Swindon on Saturday to get the train home [cheaper - more trains etc ]
So I have just this moment found myself sitting - yaaay - and hatched a possible plan to go to Avebury for New Years Eve Day ; hug the quiet, quiet, solemn stones that ask for nothing after drop off at station Saturday .
Want to go in the van - {if it starts :rolleyes:been busy but it is drained down etc }
Dont expect we will be able to overnight in the Nat Trust car park , so plan B would be to go to ? Malmesbury or near Lechlade and wild park ; new Jigsaws; play Azul/Scrabble - drink wine eat cheese and bread [I/we have cooked 3 x a day for what seems like a month ] then drive home slowly on Sunday .
Any advice of any kind but especially of dark, quiet parking in this area would be gratefully received [and yes we know some people think wild camping is a capital offence - so please accept my heartfelt Unapologetic greetings ] Ideally somewhere totally quiet and spiritual - with parking :sneaky: .
Love and Happy 2023 to everyone , lang may yer lums reek xxx
Crikey did all those people gate crash your house?.
Don't have the problem as I ask family to post their presents for me!
Happy New Year wherever you land up.

OP
OP
Kirsten

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Mr Pelican - no gatecrashers just I cant keep up with the teenage grandkids and their insatiable eating [ tho I do love to cook :xsmile: ] and would not be without them- honest !
Grandkids met my great nephew [almost 2] for first time- as we all live miles apart- and it was the sweetest most joyous day ever. Grandkids[15 and 11] adored him and now nagging my daughter to have another baby .
Its not happening - it wasn't on my planning list ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

And thank you everyone for support and. helpful info xxx Plans planned new list of postcodes and timings sorted . Almost a spontaneous outing [well it is for me ] xxx

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Any good for you?

Riverside I think has height barriers now? The parking machines have a reputation for not working properly, resulting in £100 fines, and I'm pretty sure you can't stay overnight.

OP
OP
Kirsten

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Mr Pelican - no gatecrashers just I cant keep up with the teenage grandkids and their insatiable eating [ tho I do love to cook :xsmile: ] and would not be without them- honest !
Grandkids met my great nephew [almost 2] for first time- as we all live miles apart- and it was the sweetest most joyous day ever. Grandkids[15 and 11] adored him and now nagging my daughter to have another baby .
Its not happening - it wasn't on my planning list ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

And thank you everyone for support and. helpful info xxx Plans planned new list of postcodes and timings sorted . Almost a spontaneous outing [well it is for me ] xxx

OP
OP
Kirsten

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Greetings x
Yaaay we are parked on Salisbury plain in lashing wind howling gales after a wild walk round Avebury ( weather wild not us) Grandson had to surf his way to Swindon train station as the Tom Tom wanted us to go via a 3.1m high bridge and we are 3.2…
Totally dark outside will post pics tomorrow if we do not sink into a morass. Van rocking quite a bit and weather report not looking great . So 2023 can only be an improvement.
love to all whether in or out of mohos -in or out of sorts -have a grand evening .About to open a small fizzy libation read my book . Bliss❤️❤️

OP
OP
Kirsten

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Pics of Salisbury plain just mud and rain ; I think we had rain and hail most of the night. I managed to launch self into a mudslide in the dark dark night - went out to look at the blackness and the van door slammed out in the gale taking me with it. I managed to wrench my shoulder and fall on my derrierre, couldn't get up as the mud was so slippy and very deep. Actually couldn't stop giggling about it when rescued with a lot of heaving ; no real harm apart from my shoes which will never recover.

Unfazed even by the dog walkers in the morning and the slamming of car doors in the night when there were no cars [:shake:]we went to Imber Village today IMG_6794.jpeg and that was so interesting !
Highly recommended - and we were so lucky it was open as it is only accessible a few days a year. Lots of parking on the road ; no height barriers and an amazing story.
Went past Stonehenge on way to Imber and so all in all a fab time ; now will be spending all day tomorrow cleaning the van as the mud that the Landrover contingent sprayed all over us as they roared through the lanes [it did look great fun] have sadly not been washed away by the homecoming downpour. Hope everyone safe and dry - and happy travels 2023 xxx

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Highly recommended - and we were so lucky it was open as it is only accessible a few days a year. Lots of parking on the road ; no height barriers and an amazing story.
My friend was there the other day , she is a bell ringer and had booked to take part in the bell ringing in the church there. Glad you had a good time away.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back