What questions to ask about Auto sleeper (1 Viewer)

Rolyan

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Funster No
Hi Everyone

We are looking to buy an Auto Sleeper in the near future. Budget is up to £15k. Our previous experience of camper vanning is a month in New Zealand in a van similar to the auto sleeper, and 2 weeks in South America in a wicked camper! The reason we are going for an auto sleeper is it seems to have a good layout, there is a toilet (very important when you're 60+), and not too big to drive. Cooker - we can easily make do with 2 rings and an oven. Shower - don't need it. Doors/Access - we prefer side and rear doors that open to light light and air in.

I wondered if anyone could give some guidelines on what to look out for, and questions to ask the seller, when we view some vans. Are there known issues to beware of? Whats vital to get checked?

Also, I would really appreciate help and advice on:
Petro or diesel (we're a bit worried about all the talk about banning diesel etc.)
High mileage (is 75k on a van okay).
Servicing/warranties etc.
Recommended insurers.
What dont I know that I will wish someone had told me about once I've bought one!!!

I appreciate that this is a lot of info, and it may already be answered elsewhere, so any and all help is appreciated.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
This may be a question I should have asked at the beginning, but are the Autosleeper Duetto and Symbol (c1999-2000) rear wheel drive? If so, does this affect the drive at all e.g. in bad weather. While we’ve no plans to travel in winter, we could easily be out and about in wet/muddy autumn.

I have a rear wheel drive car which I put to one side in winter in favour of a fwd. To be honest I never really thought about the vans being rwd or fwd. Do all models differ or are they traditionally rwd? Sorry to be asking so many questions but I’ve been genuinely surprised and pleased by just how helpful people are on here, and this is a new question that has just popped into my head, partly because it took me 3 hours to get home tonight because of a bit of snow causing huge traffic jams!
It can be a big factor with cars in snow , but due to loading of campers RWD can be a plus as rear axle is more loaded than front
whereas with cars esp if traveling solo front axle will be more loaded than rear , another thing with campers is tyre widths for load are generally smaller than cars.

Re security , with your intended purchase its far more likely to be a theft from , rather than taking of vehicle , and if they want in , its a few seconds with any vehicle , the only factor is amount of damage caused getting in . I have a landrover 110 CSW which arent the most secure vehicles, I havent added extra locks , but as soon as you open a door
about the loudest alarm you can imagine (hearing damage level) goes off to stop them hanging around .

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rolyan

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Funster No
It can be a big factor with cars in snow , but due to loading of campers RWD can be a plus as rear axle is more loaded than front
whereas with cars esp if traveling solo front axle will be more loaded than rear , another thing with campers is tyre widths for load are generally smaller than cars.

Re security , with your intended purchase its far more likely to be a theft from , rather than taking of vehicle , and if they want in , its a few seconds with any vehicle , the only factor is amount of damage caused getting in . I have a landrover 110 CSW which arent the most secure vehicles, I havent added extra locks , but as soon as you open a door
about the loudest alarm you can imagine (hearing damage level) goes off to stop them hanging around .
That’s a good point about the RWD. I’m probably over reacting as one of our cars is an MX5 and we live in a hamlet with only one steep country hill as access that doesn’t get gritted in snow. The previous MGF was also a pain. But thinking on I don’t think it will be a problem on the van.

Re the security, I may well be over reacting there as well. Common sense tells me that there must be hundreds being driven and left. Although knowing my luck! However, I understand you can add different security locks, although that then adds yet another expense.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
replacement security locks for transit doors are about £100 a pair. you need 4 for a panel van.
the insurance companies now ask if your motorhome is a transit based vehicle. by a massive margin the most stolen vans/motorhomes in the uk

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rolyan

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Funster No
replacement security locks for transit doors are about £100 a pair. you need 4 for a panel van.
the insurance companies now ask if your motorhome is a transit based vehicle. by a massive margin the most stolen vans/motorhomes in the uk
So basically, dont buy a transit based model! I'm happy to avoid the duetto, as the Symbol is pretty much identical. Are there any known security issues I need to be aware of with the Symbol.

Upvote 0

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
This is twice now that I’ve heard that the ford transit, so presumeable the Duetto, has poor security. Is this a known problem because if it is, I’ll give it a miss. We will be leaving the van in spots while we walk, go birdwatching etc. The last thing I want is to be worrying about whether it will still be there.

How big a problem is the poor security on the Duetto?

The Transit security problem is very well documented. I'd Google it & you could have a wee search on this forum about the issue's. It would appear to be a Ford problem more than the Duetto itself.
I'm not sure if the issues could be overcome, it'd be a shame to be put off the idea of the vehicle which best suits your needs.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rolyan

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Funster No
The Transit security problem is very well documented. I'd Google it & you could have a wee search on this forum about the issue's. It would appear to be a Ford problem more than the Duetto itself.
I'm not sure if the issues could be overcome, it'd be a shame to be put off the idea of the vehicle which best suits your needs.
To be honest, the Duetto and the symbol are pretty much identical. One is on a Ford transit and one is a Peugeot boxer. Otherwise both autosleepers with identical layout.

Upvote 0

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
To be honest, the Duetto and the symbol are pretty much identical. One is on a Ford transit and one is a Peugeot boxer. Otherwise both autosleepers with identical layout.

Whatever you decide to buy one thing is evident & its the wealth of knowledge & experience that's available on Motorhomefun, you've went about things in the right way, asking for advice is a massive positive step.
Once you've made your mind up what you think might be right, ask again for advice & I'm sure we'll all be happy to help
(y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rolyan

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Funster No
Whatever you decide to buy one thing is evident & its the wealth of knowledge & experience that's available on Motorhomefun, you've went about things in the right way, asking for advice is a massive positive step.
Once you've made your mind up what you think might be right, ask again for advice & I'm sure we'll all be happy to help
(y)
I cannot quite believe how readily (and quickly) people on here have offered help and advice. All too often in forums, newbies like me are made to feel a bit stupid. But the help on here is great.

All I need now is a MHF member who’s selling a 2000 plate autosleeper Symbol in my budget, somewhere near West Yorkshire!

Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
JMT Leisure (near Weston-Super-Mare) are showing 4 x Autosleeper Symbol in stock, along with plenty of other potential candidates...
Worth a drive?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rolyan

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Funster No
JMT Leisure (near Weston-Super-Mare) are showing 4 x Autosleeper Symbol in stock, along with plenty of other potential candidates...
Worth a drive?
What playing card am I thinking of?

You must be a Mind reader, ‘cos I was looking at JMT Leisure when the notification came through.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rolyan

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Funster No
I didn't know whether to post this here or start a new thread, so apologies if its in the wrong place.

As we are so set on an Autosleeper duetto, I looked into the cost of new locks, after the comments on here about how poor the transit van door security is.

They quoted for T series deadlocks for the cab and load areas. These are £160 supplied and fitted, per door.

They said we can also have slam locks, but only for the load areas, so side and rear door. Same price.

I got a quick quote by email, just to get and idea, so I know I can get these cheaper. But I'm not sure about the different type of locks. I don't know what T series deadlocks are, and I assume slam locks automatically lock the door when shut. I can see me locking myself out of I have them!

I just wondered if anyone on here has experience of upgrading the locks on a camper based on a Ford Transit. Are T series deadlocks okay to have all round? If so, is there an approved make/supplier? Do locks need to be Thatcham approved? Does MHF have recommended suppliers/fitters. Any comments from anyone able to advise on what the different locks are and how good they are would be very much appreciated, as I can then have that as part of the budget. If anyone can recommend specific ones that they have used, then even better.

P.S. I'm no knackler or DIY person, so wouldn't fit them myself. But I do have a small local garage that could help.

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
@Rolyan some info. here https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...-vans-essential-cab-security-upgrades.132770/ as @TheBig1 mentioned & some helpful photos from @Clickem (y)
It should be mentioned that Fiat, Peugeot & other makes are just as vulnerable security wise as the Ford Transit & can be broken into exactly the same way (the tools are out there & available to anyone :mad:) just it's the Transit that is a more popular target for thieves for breaking for spares. With extra security it can easily be made more secure than other makes so we would buy another one just the van conversion that we are downsizing to is only on a Citroen! We will miss the Ford Assistance free European Recovery included with even a basic (fairly priced) Ford Service & the fantastic Quickclear windscreen. Ours has run well with good fuel economy & been great to drive but hopefully the Citroen will be the same?!
There is also a thread here about security measures https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/fiat-ducato-extra-locking-security-devices.142690/ & lots more on the forum if you do a search.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rolyan

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Funster No
@Rolyan some info. here https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...-vans-essential-cab-security-upgrades.132770/ as @TheBig1 mentioned & some helpful photos from @Clickem (y)
It should be mentioned that Fiat, Peugeot & other makes are just as vulnerable security wise as the Ford Transit & can be broken into exactly the same way (the tools are out there & available to anyone :mad:) just it's the Transit that is a more popular target for thieves for breaking for spares. With extra security it can easily be made more secure than other makes so we would buy another one just the van conversion that we are downsizing to is only on a Citroen! We will miss the Ford Assistance free European Recovery included with even a basic (fairly priced) Ford Service & the fantastic Quickclear windscreen. Ours has run well with good fuel economy & been great to drive but hopefully the Citroen will be the same?!
There is also a thread here about security measures https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/fiat-ducato-extra-locking-security-devices.142690/ & lots more on the forum if you do a search.
Hi Wombles

That’s great info and the only bad news is that I have now scared myself silly and convinced myself that it will be stolen as soon as I leave it. Naively I never thought about the security, which is pretty stupid really.

So, I will certainly do more research and common sense tells me that any van can be made more secure. Quick question - based on your own research, and the fact that you had a transit, of money wasn’t a major option, and I would be getting a garage to fit the locks whatever type I get) is there a specific make/type of lock and supplier you would recommend. I need to put my mind at ease, otherwise I will just put myself off buying one, which is clearly ridiculous I know.

Upvote 0
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
My first Symphony (Peugeot Boxer) was stolen!! If they want it they will (usually) get it! You can go round in circles - see what you like, and what suits you and worry about the security later. You will get so many opinions on here you can be totally confused and in the end find a reason for not buying anything.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rolyan

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Funster No
My first Symphony (Peugeot Boxer) was stolen!! If they want it they will (usually) get it! You can go round in circles - see what you like, and what suits you and worry about the security later. You will get so many opinions on here you can be totally confused and in the end find a reason for not buying anything.
That's very good advice, especially for me. Also, it depends where most thefts occur. If its on the house drive, well I haven't got one, so it will be in a secure lock up when not in use. We'll often be staying on a 'proper' site, so that reduces the risk. That leaves where it's parked for the day, and that will usually (not always) be in a car park with other vehicles. So I need to put it into perspective.

We're going to see one on Saturday, so we'll see what happens!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Hi Wombles

That’s great info and the only bad news is that I have now scared myself silly and convinced myself that it will be stolen as soon as I leave it. Naively I never thought about the security, which is pretty stupid really.

So, I will certainly do more research and common sense tells me that any van can be made more secure. Quick question - based on your own research, and the fact that you had a transit, of money wasn’t a major option, and I would be getting a garage to fit the locks whatever type I get) is there a specific make/type of lock and supplier you would recommend. I need to put my mind at ease, otherwise I will just put myself off buying one, which is clearly ridiculous I know.
We aren't experts in any way & as many have commented on here most security can be overcome so is just something to put a thief off or slow them down. Most of our knowledge has been gained from other Funsters posts & experience (y) ,searching the web, looking at products at shows & what we have tried ourselves. The Hykee lock range is the best replacement that we found but depends on whether there is one for the make & model that you choose.
Some security products to consider:
VanBitz Strikeback alarm & Non-Starter System - there is 10% Funster discount but must mention it when booking & best to call them for info. https://www.vanbitz.com/
OBD port protector https://www.protectavan.co.uk/content/ecuobd-protection-device
Clutch claw https://www.nkgroup.co.uk/product/clutch-claw-in-car-security-device/
Disklok http://www.disklokuk.co.uk/
Lock M Out http://lock-m-out.co.uk/ for windows
Milenco window alarms
HEOSafe cab internal door locks & other external locks
or
Milenco cab internal door locks http://www.milenco.com/products/security/recreational-vehicle-door-locks/cab-door-lock
Extra locks for locker doors http://www.fiammastore.com/Fiamma-S...and-motorhomes/Fiamma-Safe-Door-Security-Lock
Many padlock the front seats turned around & lots of other individual security options but obviously not good security for anyone to reveal them all! Don't let the security concerns put you off motorhoming as it's a great hobby & even a way of life for some :)

Upvote 0
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
That's very good advice, especially for me. Also, it depends where most thefts occur. If its on the house drive, well I haven't got one, so it will be in a secure lock up when not in use. We'll often be staying on a 'proper' site, so that reduces the risk. That leaves where it's parked for the day, and that will usually (not always) be in a car park with other vehicles. So I need to put it into perspective.

We're going to see one on Saturday, so we'll see what happens!
Mine was stolen from the road outside my house. I now keep my van in a Link Removed site. We spent 5 weeks in Italy recently (known for thieving!) with a total lack of security as we lost a camper window and replaced it with a piece of perspex and gaffer tape, but no one broke in. Lucky yes, but worrying too much spoils your enjoyment and as @Wombles says above, enjoy whatever you buy, and good luck!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rolyan

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Funster No
Quick update...

We had planned to go see a Duetto at our local garage in Denholme today. Advertised on their website, the right price, good photos, nice condition, good mileage etc etc etc.

Just rung up, to find that they sold that some time ago, but that they leave it on because they get quite a few of them, so it’s easier!!!

Tell me it’s not just me that’s thinking what I’m thinking.

P.S. no, we won’t be using them in the future!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rolyan

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Funster No
Yes, I am thinking that too. Keep looking the right one will be out there somewhere.
Definitely. I've already spotted several. I'm just trying to work out which brain dead idiot thought that advertising something that they don't have, thereby guaranteeing a disappointed customer, is a good sales technique!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rolyan

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Funster No
In view of your intended choice you might find this interesting

Brilliant, love it.

Although as I come from Bradford, I’m not keen on it being described as North London, near Manchester!!!

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Well I’ve paid the subs, so that’s sorted.

One quick question while I find my way around. I know that £15k is not a huge budget (although it’s a chunk for us) and you said that it will mean we get an old(er) van. The autosleepers at that money seem to be around 1999. I assume that you can get a half decent and reliable van at that age/money. Or is it a case of “spend loads or get rubbish”.

My 2002 Autosleeper Symbol cost me ££15000 with 28000 on the clock,,2 owners,,full service history,,no rust anywhere,,,Only problems we have had have been internal equipment,,,i.e. taps,,water heater etc,,,Just have to keep watching the the fE Bay and Autotrader,,Good luck,,BUSBY,,

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rolyan

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Funster No
My 2002 Autosleeper Symbol cost me ££15000 with 28000 on the clock,,2 owners,,full service history,,no rust anywhere,,,Only problems we have had have been internal equipment,,,i.e. taps,,water heater etc,,,Just have to keep watching the the fE Bay and Autotrader,,Good luck,,BUSBY,,
Many thanks, we know the right one is out there, yours sounds great. We just won’t be dealing with the idiots at our local dealer! Good to know that good ones are available and out there. I can use yours as a guide.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

littlehouse

Free Member
Jan 25, 2011
Decize France
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Driver 52
Exp
Hi . I would reccomend an Autosleeper at this price level, as the one piece bodies tend to hold thier water -tightness better than some of the coachbuilts at this price. A good way to find out what you may get for your money:- Ebay - search Autosleepers - tick completed items box (near the bottom of the filter/preferences column) and you'll see what has sold recently, showing prices of sold & unsold vans.
Enjoy........

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rolyan

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Funster No
Hi . I would reccomend an Autosleeper at this price level, as the one piece bodies tend to hold thier water -tightness better than some of the coachbuilts at this price. A good way to find out what you may get for your money:- Ebay - search Autosleepers - tick completed items box (near the bottom of the filter/preferences column) and you'll see what has sold recently, showing prices of sold & unsold vans.
Enjoy........
Definitely liking the autosleeper. We are edging towards the Duetto, partly because we heard that the beds are ever so slightly longer than the symbol. Very good idea to look at completed items, I’ll do that. We don’t want the look too far away, not least because it then makes any warranty (unless major) unlikely.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back