What motorhome makes (1 Viewer)

Al

Free Member
Mar 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Hi first time buyer of a motorhome and there are so many manufacturers out there. I know the layout I want 4 berth with drop down or over cab beds and single beds to the rear but what makes models should I look at and what should I take a wide berth of. Thanks in advance.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
That is going to depend on your budget and your licence, can you drive over 3500kg? and are you looking for new or used.

Reactions: Al

gerrym11

Free Member
Sep 18, 2020
Colchester, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Just a year
I have a Burstner, really nice moho and has the dropdown double bed that is longways (the right way around!). My moho wouldn't suit your needs (Ixeo IT 640). Maybe something like the Ixeo 726?

Cheers

Gerry

OP
OP
A

Al

Free Member
Mar 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Hi ye I can and budget would be up to about Ā£60k

Jun 13, 2020
Bradford
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T68 XV.
Exp
Welcome,

have a look at some of the Hymer group. We have a Sunlight T68, which has singles at the rear and can have a drop down double at the front. 7.4 metre van under Ā£60k new.

OP
OP
A

Al

Free Member
Mar 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
So in terms of the manufacturers who are the top brands and who are the bottom midrange makes? Like Rimour Eldis Bailey Roller team where do they all sit?

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
We have a roller team T Line 785, 2018
7.5 MTRS long drop down electric bed and 2 singles at the mid , rear washroom + small shower room , large fridge freezer , 3 gas rings and small oven .
We love it , don,t think they make it currently but did up till last year , should be some good second hand ones about well with in your budget.
Terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gerrym11

Free Member
Sep 18, 2020
Colchester, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Just a year
So in terms of the manufacturers who are the top brands and who are the bottom midrange makes? Like Rimour Eldis Bailey Roller team where do they all sit?

That's a tough one as it is a bit subjective. What I have found is that the British makes tend to be at the cheaper end (not all British brands) and the Germans tend to be the most expensive. French and Italian somewhere in the middle. I have not done in-depth research over many years but what I have done over 3 to 6 months has shown me generally you get what you pay for.
But I do agree you are starting in the right place by looking at vans that meet your needs internally and then working out what brands you would like / can afford. I would love a Carthago but to be in my budget it would have to be about a hundred years old :)

All the best in your search.

Gerry

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We currently have a 2014 Pilote Explorateur G741LJE - 2 singles at the back in front of a washroom which goes across the back. Kitchen is midships with lounge at the front with drop down double. Its 7.5m long and is plated to 4250kg weight.
Quality is a subjective thing though - we have had 13 vans of different ages/layout and of them I rate the Pilote/Hymer/Burstner/Rapido/Bessacarr/Vantage among the better end of the quality scale. Others we have had were Swift/CI/Laika/Elddis/Autocruise

Last edited:
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Al
Agree with Mr Colpot , we loved our 2 Pilotes , we too have had 13 motorhomes in our 41 years motorhoming , our T Line is mid to value range cost new in 2018 Ā£52000 .current value in Ā£45000 approx , we find it suits our need perfectly , with 5 seat belts
Where are you based

Last edited:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Hi first time buyer of a motorhome and there are so many manufacturers out there. I know the layout I want 4 berth with drop down or over cab beds and single beds to the rear but what makes models should I look at and what should I take a wide berth of. Thanks in advance.
You will also need to consider "seatbelts" if you are more than two. Whilst motorhomes may be 4 berth a number of them only have 2 seatbelted seats.

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
You will also need to consider "seatbelts" if you are more than two. Whilst motorhomes may be 4 berth a number of them only have 2 seatbelted seats.
Good shout - and Payload - we got caught out a couple of times.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
I;m still trying to work out which is the RR of MHs and which is the Geely.

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
The wealth of options can be confusing for a first time buyer, so a Benimar is a good option they come with nearly every option as standard, the only real decision is manual or auto and the build quality is not to bad, then when and if you decide to change you know what options you want on your next motorhome.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I always find on threads like this people tend to recommend the make they now have which I suppose isn't that surprising as that's why they chose it. I always wonder if there are any people who actually think they made a mistake and their previous make was better ?

OP
OP
A

Al

Free Member
Mar 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Hi Al
Agree with Mr Colpot , we loved our 2 Pilotes , we too have had 13 motorhomes in our 41 years motorhoming , our T Line is mid to value range cost new in 2018 Ā£52000 .current value in Ā£45000 approx , we find it suits our need perfectly , with 5 seat belts
Where are you based
Based in central Scotland thanks for all the advice guys brilliant cheers

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The ones you mention I would class as budget vans. German build quality is better than Brit or Italian, & French are pretty good.

At the top end you have Phoenix, Morelo, Concorde, out of my price range well over 200k for the cheapest.
Then you have the likes of N&B, Carthago, etc.
Then Hymer, Burstner, Defflette, Rapido, Piolte etc.
Budget German vans Corado & Sunlight

Jun 13, 2020
Bradford
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T68 XV.
Exp
I would also think about its annual dealer service and manufactures service.
plus warranty work if required.
unlike cars, itā€™s not that easy to get work done at other dealers even selling the same brand. You may find a van in England that fits your budget and requirements, but do you want to travel that far to have a habitation and service to protect the warranty every year?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Nae luck!:giggle: A fair few of us on here!
Once lockdown is relaxed get yourself around some localish dealers and have a look around and in their stock. Once you've seen a few that might suit for you ask the gang on hear for thoughts \ guidance \ etc.(y)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003

Sadly I wouldnā€™t buy another British made one. Since deciding to buy a continental one I have had a Knaus, a Hymer and currently a Carthago. The Knaus was good, the Hymer better and the Carthago even better still. The Hymer and Carthago are both available with drop down double beds, with twin singles at the rear, in A Class form. I find A Class motorhomes not only give the interior a more spacious feel but are far easier to drive, you intuitively know the width from the driving seat. If your budget does not stretch to a new one that fits your needs then I would suggest a good second hand one will serve you better than cutting corners on either build quality or specification.

Not only is the manufacturer an important consideration but the dealer is important too. The reviews section on this site is a good place to start. A bit of digging on the internet to find some good testimonials might help too. Once you have found what you are looking for you can ask for opinions on here to see if others have experience of the make, model and dealer. Some say a local dealer is more convenient but I would rather travel further afield than use the nearest one, if their reputation was not excellent. Some dealers are reluctant to carry out warranty work on motorhomes they havenā€™t sold themselves, even though the manufacturer may claim they should. The base vehicle Fiat, Mercedes, Ford etc. is less likely to encounter reluctance to service and repair. I bought from a firm which is not only a dealer for several manufacturers but also a Fiat Professional so it is a one stop shop for servicing etc.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The layout you have suggested is more likely to be found in a European motorhome that a UK one, as they still tend to use a rear lounge layout. But you should be able to find a few UK examples. It is probably the most popular layout in Europe and has been for a while, which means that you should be able to find plenty off second hand versions from good makes. The optimum length I think would be about 7.5m.

IMHO this layout is best with high rear singles set over a large garage that can take a scooter or a couple of bikes along with all the other stuff you may want to carry. And it also best in an A class layout as you can get a full size drop down bed easily in without the bulbous over cab extension.

BUT the answer really depends as to how you are going to use this and how many people will be travelling. It also depends upon what licence you have got. If you passed your test after 1996 you will not have a C1 licence so you will be limited to a motorhome with a maximum authorised weight (MAM) of 3500kg or less. I doubt very much whether you will be able to get a 7.5m A class with a MAM of 3500kg and still have enough payload to take a family of 4 and all the stuff they need .

If you pay your subs you will be able read the article about the amount of payload you need in the January 2020 back issue of the MHF magazine.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
The ones you mention I would class as budget vans. German build quality is better than Brit or Italian, & French are pretty good.

At the top end you have Phoenix, Morelo, Concorde, out of my price range well over 200k for the cheapest.

I would rate that post as spot on in rating those manufacturers and I have been looking at several of them.

They will all be good quality still at 5-6 years and good value, although you might be in the second tier at Ā£60K

I bought a N&B 7m 4 berth at 6 years for less than half your budget.

I would suggest you seriously consider secondhand because you can afford quality, you avoid niggles of faults, dealers' warranties are not worth much more than Consumer Protection Law and you have saved money so can fix small faults.

One more important aspect is construction method used: big differnce is between walls/roofs which are supported by timber and those constructed of bonded aluminium-on -foam sandwich - latter is tructuaral in itself and virtually eliminates damp problems(except maybe floors). I think all the 3 categories on the list use the sandwich, at least in recent models, but not personally sure about Corado and Sunlight, but might be wrong.

I agree with Pausim about 'A Class for space, and they are the same width as the habitation area, so if the bit you are sitting in can go though the gap so can all of it. White van man tends to give way more :LOL:

Do not take either a manufacturer's nor dealer's figures on payload, because of fitted extras. The only figure that matters is when you are present at the weighbridge and know who is sitting in it and fuel and water contents, from there you can work the rest.

Last comment, I was at your stage 12 years ago but took my time on research(lot can be done from home on technical aspects). If you go to a dealer, beware - not all will give you firm facts. After your resaearch write out a specification, test every model against it, show it to dealers(if you must-but less budget of course). I followed this method and bought our N&B Arto as our first MH and have been very happy with it for 12 years.

Sorry bit long but that just shows how much there is to cover in a decision.

Geoff (PM me if you have more Qs)

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004

That's a sweeping generalisation Lenny. I have an Italian built Laika, (Hymer Group). Not all Italian 'vans are entry level.The build quaity is comparable with any German 'van. Carado & Sunlight are good entry level 'vans but they still use structural wood as do many Burstners.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
One more important aspect is construction method used: big differnce is between walls/roofs which are supported by timber and those constructed of bonded aluminium-on -foam sandwich - latter is tructuaral in itself and virtually eliminates damp problems(except maybe floors). I think all the 3 categories on the list use the sandwich, at least in recent models, but not personally sure about Corado and Sunlight, but might be wrong.
Of the reasonably priced vans, N&B, Carthago and the latest Hymer models have a double aluminium sandwich (the inner wall is aluminium as well as the outer). Most of the others have a wood inner wall but no wood in the sandwich. Carado & Sunlight have a traditional build with timber battens in the walls.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
That's a sweeping generalisation Lenny. I have an Italian built Laika, (Hymer Group). Not all Italian 'vans are entry level.The build quaity is comparable with any German 'van. Carado & Sunlight are good entry level 'vans but they still use structural wood as do many Burstners.
I was only quoting a few from memory too many makes to go through them all, I did think of Laika but didn't know how to spell it. :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back