OP
A

Al

Free Member
Mar 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
The layout you have suggested is more likely to be found in a European motorhome that a UK one, as they still tend to use a rear lounge layout. But you should be able to find a few UK examples. It is probably the most popular layout in Europe and has been for a while, which means that you should be able to find plenty off second hand versions from good makes. The optimum length I think would be about 7.5m.

IMHO this layout is best with high rear singles set over a large garage that can take a scooter or a couple of bikes along with all the other stuff you may want to carry. And it also best in an A class layout as you can get a full size drop down bed easily in without the bulbous over cab extension.

BUT the answer really depends as to how you are going to use this and how many people will be travelling. It also depends upon what licence you have got. If you passed your test after 1996 you will not have a C1 licence so you will be limited to a motorhome with a maximum authorised weight (MAM) of 3500kg or less. I doubt very much whether you will be able to get a 7.5m A class with a MAM of 3500kg and still have enough payload to take a family of 4 and all the stuff they need .

If you pay your subs you will be able read the article about the amount of payload you need in the January 2020 back issue of the MHF magazine.
The layout you have suggested is more likely to be found in a European motorhome that a UK one, as they still tend to use a rear lounge layout. But you should be able to find a few UK examples. It is probably the most popular layout in Europe and has been for a while, which means that you should be able to find plenty off second hand versions from good makes. The optimum length I think would be about 7.5m.

IMHO this layout is best with high rear singles set over a large garage that can take a scooter or a couple of bikes along with all the other stuff you may want to carry. And it also best in an A class layout as you can get a full size drop down bed easily in without the bulbous over cab extension.

BUT the answer really depends as to how you are going to use this and how many people will be travelling. It also depends upon what licence you have got. If you passed your test after 1996 you will not have a C1 licence so you will be limited to a motorhome with a maximum authorised weight (MAM) of 3500kg or less. I doubt very much whether you will be able to get a 7.5m A class with a MAM of 3500kg and still have enough payload to take a family of 4 and all the stuff they need .

If you pay your subs you will be able read the article about the amount of payload you need in the January 2020 back issue of the MHF magazine.
Thanks guys Iā€™ve got a C1 on my license so ok in that department looking for 4 seatbelts šŸ‘šŸ»

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Both my Hymer and my Carthago came with 4 seat belts. You would think they should match the seat belts to the number of berths. Unfortunately the seat belt frames for the rear seats are substantial and heavy so some manufacturers with limited payloads seem to leave them out. Perhaps the NCC code which UK manufacturers follow might do better to concentrate on sensible issues like seat belts rather nonsensical ones about powering down domestic electrics when the engine is running.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks guys Iā€™ve got a C1 on my license so ok in that department looking for 4 seatbelts šŸ‘šŸ»
In that case you should definitely be looking for a motorhome over 3500kg to be sure that you have plenty of payload with 4 up. And for 4 belts you need two seats (or a double seat) facing forward. Most of the "Euro lounge" motorhomes have an L shaped settee with 2 full seat belts on the double seat facing forwards. They can usually be hidden for when not in use. The only thing to look out for is whether the table will leave enough room for the people in the back to sit comfortably. That is the only problem with our motorhome, but we do not use the rear seatbelts so it does not affect us.

I think you should be looking for a second hand European (preferably German) A class and you should be able to get a good one with your budget. But them I am biased because I own a German A class!

So look for Hymer, Carthago, Dethleff, Burstner, Knauss or a Neisman & Bischoff (although the latter would be buying an older one). Remember age and mileage is not necessarily a problem with motorhomes. They are all built on commercial chassis which are designed to eat up the miles. In fact it is better not to get one with too low a mileage as standing for long periods is not good for the mechanics or tyres. As for age, the killer is damp, so check on that. But that is where the N&B and Carthago (and later Hymers) come into their own as they use timberless sandwich construction with aluminium both sides, which means damp will not usually cause structural problems.

By the way you will need to pay your subs if you want to post any more, although you can continue reading. It is always the best Ā£15 I spend on my motorhome each year because I save a lot more with the advice I get and the dealer discounts.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back