What motorcycle/scooter do you carry in your garage (1 Viewer)

Michael Rennison

Free Member
Apr 28, 2019
Upton, Newark, Nottinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti 700mx
Exp
Since 2016
Honda PCX On a rack
I've a Vespa 125 on a Sawiko rack - does the job very well. In France 2019 a very nice Italian turned up with Vespa in his garage, rebuilt the front steering mechanism , mirrors etc and installed the top box for his missus and off they went. Height is very much an issue in the garage.😥

Jul 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
My Honda C90 Supercub on my Sawiko trailer, with the wife's electric hybrid bicycle

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2020
Yapton, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic 4.8
Exp
Since 2017
Reading this with great interest.
We are getting a new Carthago C line, having had our first motorhome for 4 years with only a cycle rack on the back for E bikes. The E bikes have been great but a little limiting to go for a real explore and tour. I have big bikes with the exception of the other half's 125 bike. Which is perfect for weight, size as it is based on a 250 frame, BUT only 10.5bhp.
When in Scotland and other hilly places I just feel this would struggle.
Having had bikes a scooter feels alien, so I have like a few others, come down to either the Honda CB300R and the Duke 390.
Was going to go and look at both over Christmas break, then lockdown🙁.
I think either will be great as others have said above, just need both of us to sit on and decide. 😀.
The C line is going to rated at 4.5t but have done a load of options which added weight up and price.. 😀. So will have to check overall weight and axle weights.
We will have to still take her E bike as well.
Oh forgot to mention the Jack Russell goes everywhere with us so we will be 3 up.
Thanks for all your input really helped to guide us in the right direction..
Can't wait for LD to end and free us all gradually.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
We are getting a new Carthago C line, having had our first motorhome for 4 years with only a cycle rack on the back for E bikes. The E bikes have been great but a little limiting to go for a real explore and tour. I have big bikes with the exception of the other half's 125 bike. Which is perfect for weight, size as it is based on a 250 frame, BUT only 10.5bhp.
Having had bikes a scooter feels alien, so I have like a few others, come down to either the Honda CB300R and the Duke 390.
I think either will be great as others have said above, just need both of us to sit on and decide. 😀.
The C line is going to rated at 4.5t but have done a load of options which added weight up and price.. 😀. So will have to check overall weight and axle weights.
Oh forgot to mention the Jack Russell goes everywhere with us so we will be 3 up.
Hi, the C-Line is a lovely van you will enjoy it when the freedom returns. However you are likely to need it up plating to 4800 / 2700kg rear axle weight. My mate had one and couldn't get a SH125 scooter + his and hers E- mountain bikes in the garage without blowing the 2500kg rear axle limit. He needed new alloys, 121 rated tyres and rear air suspension. If you haven't finalised the deal yet you may be able to squeeze the dealer for the heavier rated wheels. Please make sure the dealer weighs it before delivery either way, Carthago (like others) are optimistic on what the options weigh! At 2700kg rear axle you should be fine unless all options are at the rear 😁

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
I'm hoping to persuade the wife to let me procure a Royal Enfield Himalayan. It is an incredible bike for the money and opens up a lot of opportunites for us both. That is what I'm telling her. It also fits nicely on my trailer. The Cub will NOT be going. Every man needs two motorcycles

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
I'm hoping to persuade the wife to let me procure a Royal Enfield Himalayan. It is an incredible bike for the money and opens up a lot of opportunites for us both. That is what I'm telling her. It also fits nicely on my trailer. The Cub will NOT be going. Every man needs two motorcycles
Mate of mine in India has a whole fleet of R E Himalayas. Swears by them. Does Bike treks all over India,
Alex Priar, Nomadic Knights.
Used to do Classic car rallys in old Morris Oxfords, we have done a few. Now does Mahindra Jeeps instead along with the bikes.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I looked at the KTM390 before choosing the CB300R. The biggest problem with the KTM was the seat height. As my little legs don't go all the way down to the ground:unsure: I had difficulty getting my leg over:giggle:. There is a KTM lowering kit for £250.00 which will reduce the height by 25 mm. The other problem was the number of people who kept telling me about the problems they'd experienced with their KTM's reliability wise. I've never owned one, so I can't vouch for the reliability issues. But I've had a few Hondas and can vouch for their reliability. On paper the KTM gives the more exciting ride.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Here’s my 790 on it’s way to it’s new owner and the other is my new 1290 in it’s place.
F4A4ED95-2FEB-418B-8E44-3B8C9CABE857.jpeg
67C28A1E-C886-4E30-8614-E58980C0F514.jpeg

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I looked at the KTM390 before choosing the CB300R. The biggest problem with the KTM was the seat height. As my little legs don't go all the way down to the ground:unsure: I had difficulty getting my leg over:giggle:. There is a KTM lowering kit for £250.00 which will reduce the height by 25 mm. The other problem was the number of people who kept telling me about the problems they'd experienced with their KTM's reliability wise. I've never owned one, so I can't vouch for the reliability issues. But I've had a few Hondas and can vouch for their reliability. On paper the KTM gives the more exciting ride.

For those who, like me, have short but perfectly formed legs - the best way I
have found to lower the seat height is to have the seat modified

I was on tip toes on my Suzuki GSX-R 1000R L9 - but the lovely Diane at Chaos Customs reduced the padding in the seat, replacing it with a quality gel pad - It is more comfortable than the original and I can paddle the bike backwards

24 hour turnaround, it's only a few miles from where I live, but they’re happy to deal via courier/post

(I have no ties with the company, other than as a satisfied customer)

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Every bike can go wrong, every bike can be fixed. The question is how many times it happens. My 390 is over two years old now and 3k+ miles on it, apart from silly stuff it has been very reliable. Also have a 1290 SAS, again had a few teething issues but nothing serious. Had some horrific issues with BMW's in the past and a few mates have Honda jobs that eat the charging circuits and in one case went up in smoke, TBH I think it is the luck of the draw if you get a good one or not as they all only as good as the supplier of the parts and the QC. The bike has to fit and suit you, if it doesn't then it's a no go. What is your inside leg measurement? I am a 29.5 and find the 390 OK on full preload.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
My 390 is over two years old now and 3k+ miles on it, apart from silly stuff it has been very reliable.

Hi, I'm not deliberately trying to stir things up, but what was the 'silly stuff' that happened in a mere 3000 miles?

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Every bike can go wrong, every bike can be fixed. The question is how many times it happens. My 390 is over two years old now and 3k+ miles on it, apart from silly stuff it has been very reliable. Also have a 1290 SAS, again had a few teething issues but nothing serious. Had some horrific issues with BMW's in the past and a few mates have Honda jobs that eat the charging circuits and in one case went up in smoke, TBH I think it is the luck of the draw if you get a good one or not as they all only as good as the supplier of the parts and the QC. The bike has to fit and suit you, if it doesn't then it's a no go. What is your inside leg measurement? I am a 29.5 and find the 390 OK on full preload.

29" but my knees are buggered. 😩

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Hi, I'm not deliberately trying to stir things up, but what was the 'silly stuff' that happened in a mere 3000 miles?
Legit and fair question.
Early into ownership and during a ride I had an oil leak from the oil pressure switch, bike got recovered fixed and returned. Dealer was great and without me asking got some credit from KTM for my hassle, this paid for the Pillion ergo seat and the second service. Had a DVT on the front disk, (disk variation thickness) causing the front brake to pulse, no arguments and the disc was changed. BTW This is very common in many bikes, I worked in the industry for three years and It was a constant concern regarding the quality of the disks from a very well known manufacturer. Final issue was minor moisture in the TFT, a new design has been done and once it is released a new one will be fitted to the bike even though it is now out of warranty. Oil leak was obviously caused by a faulty product and that is just unlucky. So as I said, pretty minor stuff really, had more issues with expensive cars 😎 As ever it is all down to the dealer, get a good one who will support you and happy days, get one who just wants your money and it is crap. I didn't get the 390 from this dealer, my local dealer supplied it and really messed me around so I told him to do one. KTM suggested my current dealer (Redline Loughborough) and as I said they have been superb, so much so I have now purchased a new 1290 SAS off them last year and just got pre owned 790 Duke from them. Both bikes I could have got a little cheaper elsewhere but having experienced the level of service it was not an option to go anywhere else. I was told many years ago when I was a young service engineer, "Sales sell the first one, service sells the rest".

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Is your liquid sunshine in full flow down there? Persisting down here - all morning and not looking like changing anytime soon.

Yep, very strong liquid sunshine here - fingers crossed it eases a bit this afternoon so I can get out for a walk 🙁

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back