What motorcycle/scooter do you carry in your garage (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
At 109kg wet, the Sym 125 Crox and £1500 new with a five year parts warranty the choice was a no brainer for me...

1613131236410.png

OP
OP
soppy
Aug 15, 2019
N Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 728G
Exp
2 years in
Some good suggestions on this thread, but be careful of manufacturers 'quoted weights' as these are normally 'dry' weights - without fuel/oil/coolant/battery - kerb weights can be 20-30kg more

In addition there is the weight of protective clothing, helmets etc. to add to your overall payload

Can I ask what Licence the OP has, as that could also affect what can be ridden??
full licence (y)

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Just out of curiosity, wouldn't Electric bikes fulfil your needs?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
soppy
Aug 15, 2019
N Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 728G
Exp
2 years in
+1 for the KTM 390 Duke. Cracking bike and superb for the van @ about 165kg ish wet. Easy do motorway speeds two up with a top box big enough for two full face hats. Just ordered the 790 to replace it if all goes well, if not the 390 stays in the van.

View attachment 465170
can i ask how high is your door or what's the height of the Duke

OP
OP
soppy
Aug 15, 2019
N Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 728G
Exp
2 years in
Just out of curiosity, wouldn't Electric bikes fulfil your needs?
Yes we have electric bikes and they are great, just looking at what i could get if we wanted to go a bit further a field. Always been a biker but heavy Harley's and super bikes when younger. Good to have options.

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Yes we have electric bikes and they are great, just looking at what i could get if we wanted to go a bit further a field. Always been a biker but heavy Harley's and super bikes when younger. Good to have options.
I know what you mean. I used to have a small scooter but then switched to an electric bike for a couple of years now. It's fine for what I need, but I still feel the occasional pang of getting a scooter again.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
can i ask how high is your door or what's the height of the Duke
No problem, two pics attached. The highest point of the bike is the TFT / Front Master cylinder, highest point of the garage is to the gas strut. I changed the mirrors to bar end jobs so no faffing around taking them off and on. I also fitted a sliding rail system so I can load it in or out in about 3 mins. Shout if you need more info, happy to help.

vangarageheight.jpg ktm390tall.jpg

OP
OP
soppy
Aug 15, 2019
N Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 728G
Exp
2 years in
No problem, two pics attached. The highest point of the bike is the TFT / Front Master cylinder, highest point of the garage is to the gas strut. I changed the mirrors to bar end jobs so no faffing around taking them off and on. I also fitted a sliding rail system so I can load it in or out in about 3 mins. Shout if you need more info, happy to help.

View attachment 465282 View attachment 465283
Thanks for that. What's the sliding rail system? is it a branded version or one you have fabricated, i would be very interested to see how that works, thanks in advance (y)

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Been posted on here before but here you go. I purchased it directly from Italy hoping it was as good as in the video they have on the web site. It is actually better but it cost about £450 landed and that was pre Brexit. Simple design that could be copied if you were up to it, I understand the newer ones don't have adjustable end stops which isn't the end of the world but are cheaper. Used it for a couple of years now without issue and so simple to use. This is the old van with the Grom, works just as well with the KTM, you can adjust the clamp for wheel size.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Like most of its put a bit of weight on over lockdown, now 112kg and £2149.
Yep.. the new model is Euro 5 compliant so more crap added. Though you can still buy one for JUST under £2k if you shop around

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Thanks for that. What's the sliding rail system? is it a branded version or one you have fabricated, i would be very interested to see how that works, thanks in advance (y)
And here is the link to the product.
And more info in English.

OP
OP
soppy
Aug 15, 2019
N Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 728G
Exp
2 years in
Been posted on here before but here you go. I purchased it directly from Italy hoping it was as good as in the video they have on the web site. It is actually better but it cost about £450 landed and that was pre Brexit. Simple design that could be copied if you were up to it, I understand the newer ones don't have adjustable end stops which isn't the end of the world but are cheaper. Used it for a couple of years now without issue and so simple to use. This is the old van with the Grom, works just as well with the KTM, you can adjust the clamp for wheel size.

Thanks again top man, that looks simple and effective. On the duke does it carry two ok ask we aint small people, also what did you think of the Grom as I was quite tempted with one but thought might be under powered and cramped with two.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Thanks again top man, that looks simple and effective. On the duke does it carry two ok ask we aint small people, also what did you think of the Grom as I was quite tempted with one but thought might be under powered and cramped with two.
The Grom was good but we went from going away a bit, to retiring and planning to tour Europe over many months and the Grom would have struggled to go up the mountains. It was also very cosy for me and the lady. I am 110KG and she is 50kg and the size of Kylie. The Duke has more room than it looks like but you need the ergo seats, the standard ones are shockingly hard. We fit on it with the Shad 58x top box no problem at all, arrive at wherever and put the hats in the top box. We also have soft panniers we take if the wx is hot so we can loose the jackets etc. Done 3000 miles on the Duke without serious issues, had a Power commander and dyno time to smooth out the low down fuelling but I am a fussy bloke. I wouldn't have a Grom again, the Duke is a lot better and being able to do motorway speeds easily makes a big difference at times and is a lot safer than holding up the traffic on quick roads. I have a KTM 1290 SAS in the garage for "proper biking" but often find I take the 390 for the giggles. When we had the E&P fitted in Blackburn I rode the 390 home to Birmingham and back again without issue, it really is a good little bike. My 790 is due next week and that will in theory replace the 390... Here it is in France fully loaded July 19

ktmfrancefull.jpg

OP
OP
soppy
Aug 15, 2019
N Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 728G
Exp
2 years in
The Grom was good but we went from going away a bit, to retiring and planning to tour Europe over many months and the Grom would have struggled to go up the mountains. It was also very cosy for me and the lady. I am 110KG and she is 50kg and the size of Kylie. The Duke has more room than it looks like but you need the ergo seats, the standard ones are shockingly hard. We fit on it with the Shad 58x top box no problem at all, arrive at wherever and put the hats in the top box. We also have soft panniers we take if the wx is hot so we can loose the jackets etc. Done 3000 miles on the Duke without serious issues, had a Power commander and dyno time to smooth out the low down fuelling but I am a fussy bloke. I wouldn't have a Grom again, the Duke is a lot better and being able to do motorway speeds easily makes a big difference at times and is a lot safer than holding up the traffic on quick roads. I have a KTM 1290 SAS in the garage for "proper biking" but often find I take the 390 for the giggles. When we had the E&P fitted in Blackburn I rode the 390 home to Birmingham and back again without issue, it really is a good little bike. My 790 is due next week and that will in theory replace the 390... Here it is in France fully loaded July 19

View attachment 465332
thanks for that great info, pumping you for info here, my garage is 200kg max is yours same or more and does MH ride ok with it in back (y)

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
thanks for that great info, pumping you for info here, my garage is 200kg max is yours same or more and does MH ride ok with it in back (y)
Pump away ;-)
Mine is 350kg max for the garage but that would likely blow the rear axle weight limit as standard. We had rear air fitted for a better ride and the ability to up-plate to 4800KG gross, 2700KG rear limit up from 2500KG. The van was fine before the air upgrade but better with it fitted.It rides just fine and done around 9k miles in the van without issue, most with the bike in the back. We travel "heavy" with full 150L water, clothes for all seasons, "proper" biking gear, two Bromptons in the garage etc and we are still legal on weight by some margin. KTM claim 149kg dry for the bike so add fuel and fluids and I reckon 165-170 ready to go so you won't have a lot left in the garage.

OP
OP
soppy
Aug 15, 2019
N Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 728G
Exp
2 years in
Pump away ;-)
Mine is 350kg max for the garage but that would likely blow the rear axle weight limit as standard. We had rear air fitted for a better ride and the ability to up-plate to 4800KG gross, 2700KG rear limit up from 2500KG. The van was fine before the air upgrade but better with it fitted.It rides just fine and done around 9k miles in the van without issue, most with the bike in the back. We travel "heavy" with full 150L water, clothes for all seasons, "proper" biking gear, two Bromptons in the garage etc and we are still legal on weight by some margin. KTM claim 149kg dry for the bike so add fuel and fluids and I reckon 165-170 ready to go so you won't have a lot left in the garage.
Thanks again, we don't carry much in garage couple of chairs, table some bits and bobs oh and couple electric bikes but would leave them at home when carrying Duke, just would gives options on where we are going and what we wanted to do, and it would get used at home also, whereas a small scooter type wouldn't get used at home. I will have to check it out carefully before committing as it would run close to limits, could always buy new MH to accommodate :LOL:

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Thanks again, we don't carry much in garage couple of chairs, table some bits and bobs oh and couple electric bikes but would leave them at home when carrying Duke, just would gives options on where we are going and what we wanted to do, and it would get used at home also, whereas a small scooter type wouldn't get used at home. I will have to check it out carefully before committing as it would run close to limits, could always buy new MH to accommodate :LOL:
Your rear axle limit will be the controlling factor along with MAUW, when we were looking at new vans I looked in the garage and got my tape measure out before even looking at the price or inside the van ;-) Good luck, shout if you need any more info.

fullfat

Free Member
Nov 27, 2017
The North
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
OK time to stop pussy footing around with all the girly bikes and get yourself at least 200bhp (GSX-R 1000R L9) 🙂

View attachment 465385

The pic may be useful for seeing how I secure my motorbikes in the van 🙂
o_O Look at them chicken strips

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Interesting and informative thread this one for me. When we change our van soon after getting back one of the criteria will be it's ability to carry a small bike/scooter of some sorts. Options shown have broadened my initial thinking of what bike i could get.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Well like you Bob I fancied a Ktm 690 duke or similar but the practicality of a Honda sh 300 looks like it could win.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
170kg though 😔
And £5000 😭
And only 25bhp 😣

Why can't we have a lightweight powerful scooter! It's 2021!
It’s the storage room under the seat easy for the wife to get on and not the kind of thing that will draw attention from thieves (hopefully) there are some brand new ones for just under 4K
If the two were stood side by side there would be no contest but the little step through has a lot of good points.🙂

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
170kg though 😔
And £5000 😭
And only 25bhp 😣

Why can't we have a lightweight powerful scooter! It's 2021!
We had lightweight powerful scooters, they were called two strokes and they got pushed out ;-(
Weight wise the Honda 300 and the 390 Duke are very similar, performance is a no brainer with the KTM having more than enough power for two up + luggage at motorway speeds if needed. With a good sized top box and panniers the luggage space will be better on the Duke than the Scooter, only benefit I can see with the Scooter is the step through.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We had lightweight powerful scooters, they were called two strokes and they got pushed out ;-(
Weight wise the Honda 300 and the 390 Duke are very similar, performance is a no brainer with the KTM having more than enough power for two up + luggage at motorway speeds if needed. With a good sized top box and panniers the luggage space will be better on the Duke than the Scooter, only benefit I can see with the Scooter is the step through.
2t now there’s a memory 🙂

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back