Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I dunno about that one - cos many motorbike riders haven't a clue how to change their solo mode d'emploi to make it a smooth ride for the pillion passenger - let alone drive a car!

I think one of the most important things it says in the Highway Code is 'courtesy to other road users' - if everyone actually did that, maybe ......

I don't think passing ANY test automatically MAKES somebody 'good' at it. My car driving instructor actually said to me when I got out of his car after passing my test, OK - you've passed your test - so now you can start learning to drive!

He's right you know.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I look forward to that, I'm sure your view of why this recognized Institute of advanced driving is so wrong will be interesting, to say the least.

Absolutely NOTHING wrong with the institute at all !
Perhaps it may be worth rereading what you posted :Smile: ? ( or more likely I read it wrong.. But you SEEM to be saying completing the IAM makes a good driver ? )
I meant no disrespect nor try to belittle in anyway the ability of most IAM certificate holders

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Addendum..
Whilst the IAM scheme for 4 wheel users is excellent in general, I take massive exception to the way it is applied to PTW users... But that, as they say is another story :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
motorcyclists (past and present) make for good good drivers.

Didn't think this would be taken as a 100% quote, did say MAKE for good drivers. I think the main reason would be awareness and self preservation in case you dont know it always hurts when you come of a bike. The reply from car drivers involved in bike accidents seem to be 'I didn't see them':Angry:

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Absolutely NOTHING wrong with the institute at all !
Perhaps it may be worth rereading what you posted :Smile: ? ( or more likely I read it wrong.. But you SEEM to be saying completing the IAM makes a good driver ? )
I meant no disrespect nor try to belittle in anyway the ability of most IAM certificate holders
No offence taken. I too successfully completed the Advance driving course a number of years ago and it certainly made me a better driver. At 17 I was driving British Army Main Battle tanks on UK roads and later in B.A.O.R. Also, Saladin, Sarrison and ferret armoured cars and after 30 years of driving I though I was a good driver until I took this course.
I had never heard of I.P.S.G.A. or limit point driving or many of the other techniques the I.A.M. use or the fact you will fail the test if you did not drive fast enough! As a result of completing the course my overall speed increased, my passengers had a smoother ride and my observational awareness increased significantly. I would recommend all young drivers to complete this course, they will all be better drivers for it.

With respect to your comment, I am of the view that if you pass the two hour driving test (that's how long mine was) you are qualified as an Advanced driver. This is a recognition given by the institute so in my book this is recognition of a good driver, providing of course the competency is maintained.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Not sure about ex motorcyclists making better car drivers. I taught a few lads to drive cars who had been on bikes and almost everyone of them had to relearn just about everything about how to use the road. True, they do have a better respect for other M/Cyclists, but over the years I have seen very few motorcyclists who I would say are good road users.
I used to teach advanced motorcyclists too. I certainly earned my money then.....

Allan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back