What hobbies (other than motorhoming) do you have? (2 Viewers)

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
before the advent of widespread electricity these engines performed every task that might today be replaced with an electric motor.
Most commonly used on farms for anything from sheep sheering to milking cows but probably most commonly driving water pumps.
This example is water cooled but I have the same engine as an air cooled variant. Single cylinder 1.5 horse power petrol.
The air cooled demonstrated here driving two water pumps.

Very interesting and great to see. Nice to keep some of that history alive.

In a similar way I like to collect, restore and use antique fishing tackle. I have wooden reels that are well over 100 years old and about a dozen old cane rods plus a much older one made of greenheart wood. The greenheart is retired as they tend to dry out in their great age and tend to shatter explosively as used. A lovely object though. I still use all the cane ones. Very rare I use anything modern. The reel in this picture was made in 1944 or 1945.

I also have an old Hardy reel with the makers initials, RMS, stamped inside. This means it was made by Robert Marshall Scott who was employed by Hardy's for a period of 51 years between 1916 and 1967. The particular reel was made between 1932 and 1966. I think it's fascinating to know that.

Restoring the old rods is something nice to do that's fishing related in the colder, wetter winter months.

Broken Link Removed

Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper
I have had many hobbies like playing football and cricket but obviously as I've got older I've slowed down. I've sporadically had motor bikes and currently have a Suzuki drz 400 which I'm trying to make into a Australian army replica. However lately my brother has got me into restoring old paraffin lamps and stoves. It's nice to give old equipment a new lease of life, like other funsters have mentioned.

Attachments

• IMG_20220702_174327_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220702_174327_HDR.jpg
    524.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20220616_163712_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220616_163712_HDR.jpg
    448.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20220707_100055_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220707_100055_HDR.jpg
    520.1 KB · Views: 36
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Flying, obviously... [and gyros do attract the... [cough] individualistic among us... That's why I chose them ! ]

Political Betting and Forecasting (I was, I think, the first to tip Trump in 2016, and made £50k when he became POTUS. I usually make a tax-free few grand on any election, US or UK, but the Donald was special...)

True Crime (I was credited, in 2018, by a crime author in his book, as having - on balance - solved what Raymond Chandler called "the impossible... unbeatable murder", in Liverpool in 1931. )

And the overriding. life-long hobby, I suppose. How to beat the system? :LOL:
2/3rds the way there...

I was looking for a new hobby, i think i've found it:LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2021
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Most of my life in one form or another
I have had many hobbies like playing football and cricket but obviously as I've got older I've slowed down. I've sporadically had motor bikes and currently have a Suzuki drz 400 which I'm trying to make into a Australian army replica. However lately my brother has got me into restoring old paraffin lamps and stoves. It's nice to give old equipment a new lease of life, like other funsters have mentioned.
Look great.
I have an old Tilley lantern that my mom and dad used many many years ago.
Where do you get parts from ? Any idea. Thanks

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Golf now. A moderate 18 handicap. Started at 49 when I had to give up my true sporting love, squash. Played for Moreton hall Bury st Edmunds, Newmarket, and Suffolk county over 45. All came to a sudden end after major back surgery, caused by tripping up stairs at home. I love quizzes as well. Applied for the Chase and pointless but no luck so far
Phil

Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper

Attachments

• IMG_20220727_165303_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220727_165303_HDR.jpg
    623.3 KB · Views: 14
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I'm not a motorhomer.
The motorhome is just a facility for enjoying my other hobbies; foreign travel, food and wine, French medieval history, motorcycling events, (meeting ladies from a French Grab-a-Granny dating site............:giggler:)

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
I've got a steam/model engineering thread running, but to make a contribution to this thread here's a few pics...

Latest creation, a Stuart Major Beam Engine, just sold to a guy in Switzerland - £3000!

A 5" gauge Stirling Single locomotive
DSC00324.JPG

A 3.5" Britannia Locomotive
dsc00707_45929045065_o.jpg

Der Seekadett, a radio controlled scale model of a Swiss Lake launch.

2003_1214_192317AA.JPG

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G691 LCE
Exp
Since 1974
Not so much hobbies more a way of life at any part of my lifecycle, always into motorcycles, road and racing, engineering, fabrication etc.
For many years always bikes, road (track) racing then drag racing making my own (and for others) bikes and race chassis with some reasonable success, as that tailed off with age or needs carp fishing, windsurfing, but always tinkering in my workshop nothing in particular just most anything mechanical.
Bought the Dennis as a basket case and over a few years re-made and rebuilt it, then it was filling my workshop and getting in the way so sold it.
Just tinkering with motorhome at moment.

20190403_152336.jpg

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Staying healthy, cooking, wood turning, wood working in general, reading, listening to music, live music concerts, Classic bikes & cars (now in the care of eldest son) Days out with Sue. All in all just a gentle lifestyle after a lifetime of working to a set timetable!
:giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I'm a member of the 100 marathon club having completed over 100 marathons and ultras,
I'm also a 5 time Ironman athlete..

Love skiing too

Training takes up 75 percent of my free time, I love the motorhome as it serves as a base for all the things we do.

Aug 6, 2018
Dorset
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
Since 2019
Dinghy racing, grand children, dog walking in lovely countryside, gardening & still trying to maintain & improve our house that was built in 1904, and that we have lived in for over 30 years.

May 29, 2020
Ferndown, BH22 9sg, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Pepper
Exp
Since 2019
Hi all our hobby besides and along side motor homing is Amateur Radio (No not CB check out RSGB Radio Society of Great Britain). It is a great very diversified hobby from just chatting to other people with the same hobby 57,000 in UK, 700,000 in USA so many millions world wise. To learning to build your own transmitting equipment.
We visit Ham Fests (we recently visited the Ham Radio in the Messe at Freidrichshafen in southern Germany) around Europe and set up stations attached to our motorhome when we can.
I have a main station at home and love operating daily from home when not away. We operate in voice mode SSB, CW, morse code (yes it is still used), Digital modes and maintain our own stations to eliminate any interference etc.
The great thing about the hobby is we learn something useful every day. We contact other operators from all over the world and exchange information and can operate frequencies from Low Frequencies to Microwave.
Some Hams operate from the top of mountains from special locations, go on DXpeditions to uninhabited or exotic islands to contact the rest of the world, there are 340 contact countries which you can try to contact on all your licenced bands and modes, so there is always a challenge to contact that exotic location and receive conformation from them that you were able to make that contact with your maintained station.
Today's internet has still not surpassed doing the Ham Dance which is obligatory after achieving a new contact.
Sorry for being so boring to some but our hobby has bought us so many friends and acquaintances over the years as well as a direction in our working lives as the training gave us further skills (electronics) to develop our engineering carriers.
We are currently updating our antenna rotator controller and antenna switching system using the Raspberry Pi WiFi systems so always moving forward with technology and loving it.
Derek's callsign is G4XEE which is my main vehicles registration I also have G5 in the motorhome. Look at QRZ.com and enter my callsign for my details.
There are many amateur radio clubs in the UK who can train individuals to obtain a licence but go to the RSGB site to start your journey to this great hobby.
Video did not kill the radio star, it still shines at light speed.
Great coms when mobile in that great motorhome, free and you do not have to relay on mobile phone signals.

Attachments

• IMG_20200221_212147.jpg
    IMG_20200221_212147.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 14
Jan 3, 2023
Whitby, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starburst
Exp
From March 2023
Motorbikes.
Since I bought my first (legal) road bike 41 years ago, I have owned and ridden 98 other road bikes, plus countless off-roaders. And those that I rode before I was old enough to ride on the road (I started when I was 10 years old).
I currently own a 1996 Suzuki RF900 as my go-to road bike.
A 1968 Suzuki K11P 80cc classic that I use for classic road trips (did the 500 miles "3 Moors Run" last September then the "Tiddlers in Portugal" run later that month).
A home-built Suzuki V4 500cc track bike that is currently undergoing it's 3rd re-incarnation.
And 5 on-going projects (Triumph X75 Hurricane "replica", Triumph T575 "Steam Triple", Moto Cati V70 Monzta, Suzuki GSX1100S Katana and a Suzuki TDRGV250).

My other hobby, when I'm not tinkering with or riding motorbikes, is my mission to visit every Brewdog bar in the UK. 24 so far, and counting!

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Used to have a aviary . but have also done banger racing. that was fun. Then r/c cars and boats. Now walking the dog. And model trains 00. Also used to do , ballroom dancing in the distance past.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
View attachment 126761 I built my 2 seater aircraft over 7 years and it's taken me to the canaries /north cape/ Croatia and over the top of mount blanc at 18000 ft,
fantastic way to travel if the weather is good, I tend to do my Motorhome touring outside the flying season,
You Built it?

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
Not so much hobbies more a way of life at any part of my lifecycle, always into motorcycles, road and racing, engineering, fabrication etc.
For many years always bikes, road (track) racing then drag racing making my own (and for others) bikes and race chassis with some reasonable success, as that tailed off with age or needs carp fishing, windsurfing, but always tinkering in my workshop nothing in particular just most anything mechanical.
Bought the Dennis as a basket case and over a few years re-made and rebuilt it, then it was filling my workshop and getting in the way so sold it.
Just tinkering with motorhome at moment.

View attachment 671848
I was one of the first year of kids that had to stay at school until 16 back in the 70´s, they had no idea what to do with us.......I spent a whole term cutting the grass around the school on one of these ...

Aug 6, 2018
Dorset
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
Since 2019
And I’ve now added radio control model yacht racing (International One Metres).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back