What have you seen on Aires… (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Yes, I have been on an Aire when the circus is in town, I think showmen are very different to other types of travellers… 😉
I’ve seen lotta of clowns 🤡 on Aires. No circus in twin though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
I read somewhere recently about french legislation that meant only motorhomes were allowed on Aires. It made me wonder what prompted the set up for aires in France and whether there had been some state/legal imperative of sorts in the past. Does anyone know?

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I read somewhere recently about french legislation that meant only motorhomes were allowed on Aires. It made me wonder what prompted the set up for aires in France and whether there had been some state/legal imperative of sorts in the past. Does anyone know?
I was told by a French man that Aires were first set up when the population traveled a long way by horse drawn wagon to work. It was a large country with a small population. These travelling workers needed somewhere to over night but wouldn’t be staying long. Just a night or so depending on if the horse needed a rest. The system we see today is from that era.

John H.

Free Member
Apr 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
A long time
Can't remember it's seven months since I was on one 😃 BUSBY.
Very recently, then? We are counting years now. roll on end of this nightmare.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Anyway what have you seen and would you be pissed if a caravan parked up next to you…?
Hi.
No. What i did think was taking the P,was a Mo/ho on one space and its twin axled trailer parked alongside on another. This was on the very busy Aire in Palencia, there were a couple of spaces left but.... Yes, i have seen trailers parked up before on aires with their unit,but parked so as to not reduce the amount of spaces,tents on grassy areas of the Aire. Not a problem
One super Aire on the way down through France " Roufflett..... Something. ( Regular stop over on the ways up/down) had a converted single decker coach,plus twin axle trailer with building gear/tools and a small 4X4 on. I think the Aire was for 30 odd spaces,there must have been 40 of us on there,LOADS of room,not a problem,he was a " Jobbing builder"...Way to go.
Tea Bag

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
We were parked up on a nice little French aire 3 years ago when a young hippy looking French couple turned up a quarter to midnight.
Their car had eleven door, I know that as I heard everyone of them slam shut.
I know they must have spoken some English as they quietened down after I cracked open a window and shouted at them to shut the f*ck up. :giggle:
Ah good old Anglo Saxon.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I think my worst aire incident was in Spain ....busy aire about 25 vans ...this family turned up around 8pm and headed in to town then on their return around 11.30 pm they all got aboard closed all the blinds started the engine up and put the aircon on full blast so all you heard was high revving fiat with the cooling fan coming on every 5 minutes .....after around 40 minutes of this myself and a french woman knocked on their door and impolitely told them to turn the f#@¢in engine off or leave.
They had the cheek to look shell shocked

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Wasn't it Paul Badknee who parked in one went to bed & when he opened the door in the morning a tent was pitched at bottom of the step?:LOL: Sure he posted a photo?
Haha, yes it was. I had to move forward to get out of the hab door!

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
In the mid eighties, workmates of mine hired a motorhome to drive to Austria for the F1 race held at the Österreichring. En route, they parked up in a village square, went out for a meal and a few drinks. When they got back to the van, a copper knocked on the door and in broken English, told them to move. As they'd all had a drink, moving on was impossible, so after a bit of shoulder shrugging by both parties, the cops left them to it. When they woke up the next morning, they found themselves trapped in the middle of the weekly market ! :LOL:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
In Dieppe aire about 6 years ago I saw a french chap pissing out of the hab door in his top of the range brand new Rapido which was towing a very big boat trailer He then stepped out of the van and toddled off hand in hand with his wife without washing his hands. 🥸
That reminds me of an Aire de Repos I stopped at one saturday afternoon , Well busy , people eating & drinking ,kids playing ,I'm walking the dog in roars a Ferrari,stops, drivers door opens . He stepped over armco & stood there pissing ,then back in & drove off. Toilets were only 30m away??

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We were on an aire in Fuengirola and parked near the kerb in the middle of the Aire.A few others did the same but a lot moved and we wondered why. We found out at 5 30 in the morning,we had banging on the side walls telling us to move as we had taken their pitch for the weekly boot sale . The stall holders were English and when we got up to talk to them they let us stay for the day. Working around us. Frightened the life out of us though
Another Aire we stopped at had very large pig go in and out of the MH via a ramp.That must have ponged a bit inside?

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We were on an aire in Fuengirola and parked near the kerb in the middle of the Aire.A few others did the same but a lot moved and we wondered why. We found out at 5 30 in the morning,we had banging on the side walls telling us to move as we had taken their pitch for the weekly boot sale . The stall holders were English and when we got up to talk to them they let us stay for the day. Working around us. Frightened the life out of us though
Another Aire we stopped at had very large pig go in and out of the MH via a ramp.That must have ponged a bit inside?

To see that had you been on the strong Absinthe? :LOL:

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
In the mid eighties, workmates of mine hired a motorhome to drive to Austria for the F1 race held at the Österreichring. En route, they parked up in a village square, went out for a meal and a few drinks. When they got back to the van, a copper knocked on the door and in broken English, told them to move. As they'd all had a drink, moving on was impossible, so after a bit of shoulder shrugging by both parties, the cops left them to it. When they woke up the next morning, they found themselves trapped in the middle of the weekly market ! :LOL:
I had that experience (the market) as a child in 50s. First night in after a long drive, 2 cars and 1 caravan. My cousin Peter and I slept in one car, 2 other cousins in the other car, 4 adults and 2 children in the caravan. As we all woke up in the morning, market stalls were all around us, we were along one line as if we were a market stall, the market was heaving, but they left us a get-out route to the road. We all tumbled out in the morning. No hassle at all, big smiles and good grace from the French, so we wandered around the market for breakfast. A lovely experience for your first ever night in France

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
Another Market story. It was a remote town in the middle of Sicily, we arrived on sunday afternoon and the town was so quiet we could have been in a dystpian movie. we worked out where the aire space was and settled in. Later as it got dark the car park became surprisingly busy as it appeared to be both a meeting place and also somewhere just to hang out; there also seemed to be an unusual amount of interest in a large screen scrolling the same 10 or so commercials, some seemed transfixed like it was drive-in cinema!
The next morning we were woken by loud knocking to find the market being set-up all around, our caller wanted his space that we were apparently in so we had to move off fast.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Evidence of dogging. La Rochelle, some years ago. Site now closed. No personal involvement!
Further to this, we arranged to meet another couple there. Not for that! and there were some strange people there. Nothing out of the ordinary, except a very statuesque lady arrived and backed in the copse on the edge of the aires at quite a pace, crashing into the bushes. I went over to see if I could help, and "she" just grinned. She was heavily made up, I was thinking "all that just for camping" Then as we settled down for the night, cars and scooters would drive by, all shining their lights on our two vans. Funny, we thought. Didn't know anything about dogging, but when we got home there was a channel 4 prog about it. OH, that's what it was!

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We saw a large MH towing a car. The car was parked over the grey water dump.
We were on an Aire three years ago next to the village market place. There were signs saying that the Aire was for motorhomes only, no cars allowed, even on market day.

We returned to our motorhome and prepared to leave, only to find that a car was parked directly over the chemical waste disposal point.

Common sense prevailed when my wife prevented me from tipping the contents of our toilet over his car bonnet.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
In Dieppe aire about 6 years ago I saw a french chap pissing out of the hab door in his top of the range brand new Rapido which was towing a very big boat trailer He then stepped out of the van and toddled off hand in hand with his wife without washing his hands. 🥸
Are you sure it was a Rapido? Surely not!!!!!!! Probably a ******* in disguise (insert name of motorhome you dislike the most). Us Rapido owners wouldn’t dream of doing such a thing old boy. ;) :LOL:;):LOL:

Betsy Lamb

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2004
Saw this on a stelplatz in Immenstadt in southern germany
41FFB8DE-7F2D-4B6F-8FF3-60B027B81545.jpeg
79B5F9B3-CB52-4C03-A800-CA78BA11A072.jpeg

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
We were on a paying aire in a lovely Italian town, two Dutch women in a small ordinary van asked the person beside us if they could put their tent on her pitch behind her camper. She said no as the site was regularly checked by the town police. The couple them moved to the main carpark and pitched their tent on a tiny bit of grass.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back