What have you seen on Aires… (1 Viewer)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Way before I was a motorhomer I traveled around France in a car with a small tent and found some places that had water taps and waste facilities on what seemed like car parks and small funny campsites…. Unbeknown to me I had stumbled across what we know as Aires….

so a lot of the country ones were lovely and I could park up the car and pitch my small tent on some grass nearby, some were beautiful riverside/lakeside settings. I always thought this is nice, such freedom and quite a few motorhomes and the odd caravan parked up too… I now obviously know what a cheek I had but no one said anything to me although I spoke to many people on the Aires.
A year or two later I parked overnight in some with a caravan, not knowing much about motorhomes…

having now traveled extensively through Europe I have seen many things parked up on Aires, tents, caravans, cars, funfair rides, lorries…

it all depended what the Aires were like if I took any dislike to other forms of camping or not, big country ones with plenty of room it didn’t bother me but small town Aires where caravans were parked up what looked like permanently I sometime thought is that right…🤔

Anyway what have you seen and would you be pissed if a caravan parked up next to you…?

Reactions: CJS

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Anyway what have you seen and would you be pissed if a caravan parked up next to you…?

A bloke in a poxy little tent.... would really *iss me orft... :Eeek: :imoutahere:
.............................................................................................................................................

:wink::giggler::*:hugs:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
One extreme to the other
20170916_191523.jpg
IMG_20190914_190704188.jpg

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We were parked up on a nice little French aire 3 years ago when a young hippy looking French couple turned up a quarter to midnight.
Their car had eleven door, I know that as I heard everyone of them slam shut.
I know they must have spoken some English as they quietened down after I cracked open a window and shouted at them to shut the f*ck up. :giggle:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We were parked up on a nice little French aire 3 years ago when a young hippy looking French couple turned up a quarter to midnight.
Their car had eleven door, I know that as I heard everyone of them slam shut.
I know they must have spoken some English as they quietened down after I cracked open a window and shouted at them to shut the f*ck up. :giggle:

Did the slam that too?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
At a large aire in France young couple with a small car and a small caravan, both looked shattered, the people not the vehicles, big discussion as not really allowed on the aire motorhomers of all nationalities asked for them to be allowed to stay and moved vehcles so they could be ’hidden’ they left next morning after a good nights sleep, forget the circumstances but they had been on the road for a longtime searching for somewhere to stop for the night.
against the ‘rules’ yes
vote for common sense and compassion yes.
at another aire in a France pulled up barriers there but no no parking sign, so a couple of motorhomers moved the barriers, it was a Saturday night and the french don’t dig roads on sundays. Woke next morning to 9 vans and a lot of workmen, exit barriered off, they happily moved barriers to let us all leave, on the way out saw sign for the temporary aire, sign only visible on the way out not on the way in oops.
always thought barriers were heavier :ROFLMAO:

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
On our very first motorhome trip abroad, I'd bought the Vicarious "All the Aires" book and decided which site we were going to use. As we entered the village, we saw a sign for "Campingcars" and I'm thinking "This is working out quite well !" When we turned a corner onto the aire, there was a camel tied to the give way sign at the junction ! A travelling circus had commandeered the area, including running an electric cable from a street lamp to one of the vans. There was a Swiss van already parked up, so we just pulled up alongside him while we decided what to do. We went for a walk and came across 3 emus tethered by some grass and a few goats too. We stayed the night and watched some of the carnies practicing their juggling and slack wire skills !

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
On our very first motorhome trip abroad, I'd bought the Vicarious "All the Aires" book and decided which site we were going to use. As we entered the village, we saw a sign for "Campingcars" and I'm thinking "This is working out quite well !" When we turned a corner onto the aire, there was a camel tied to the give way sign at the junction ! A travelling circus had commandeered the area, including running an electric cable from a street lamp to one of the vans. There was a Swiss van already parked up, so we just pulled up alongside him while we decided what to do. We went for a walk and came across 3 emus tethered by some grass and a few goats too. We stayed the night and watched some of the carnies practicing their juggling and slack wire skills !
Been on a couple of circus stops, no problems, and all friendly folks.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Yes, I have been on an Aire when the circus is in town, I think showmen are very different to other types of travellers… 😉

Maybe it is because they work properly for all their gains. ;) :giggle:

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We were in France and a Romanian truck pulled in next to us, with two guys sitting in the cab. After about ten minutes, I happened to glance across and saw that one of the guys was holding a large knife and I mean large as in Crocodile Dundee large! I casually suggested to my husband that he should surreptitiously have a look. An expletive was emitted and the engine was started, we left in a hurry.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Pardon my ignorance, are Aires for MHs only?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Can't remember it's seven months since I was on one 😃 BUSBY.

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
Seen many instances similar to those mentioned, but the best was at the Mimizan aire, probably about 10 years ago...it was very busy as always, and one french couple decided to erect their driveaway awning...the ground is very hard tarmac, and the guy got out his rock pegs and a lump hammer and after a lot of noise up went the awning...lots of frenchies watching with words of encouragement, and nothing was said when the police came round for payment the next morning...

Allen

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
A bloke in a poxy little tent.... would really *iss me orft... :Eeek: :imoutahere:
.............................................................................................................................................

:wink::giggler::*:hugs:
A poxy little bloke in a tent. That's a little uncalled for Mo :giggler: :giggler: Sorry I mis-read that:whistle2:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back