What have you fixed on your motorhome this week? (2 Viewers)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Last Rocker cover gasket was cork! didn't do the job at all, VW had up graded to Rubber, so! tracked one and that arrived wenesday.

Rocker Cover :swear2: something about it didn't ring true, it was either warped ,or, not quite sure whether there was a baffle of some description inside, checked with the VWT4 lot, bit of indecision there, they didn't make too many Petrol versions :doh:

So! Bit the bullet and ordered a new Cover.

Trying to adjust the emissions (the new Idle control valve altered settings!) using the small brass needle valve in the throttle body and the bloody thing sheared off, :doh:

SO! :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: now awaiting delivery, 3-4 weeks,

of Rocker Cover and small brass pain-in-the-arse needle valve/adjustment screw!

Many thanks due to @gus-lopez

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Last Rocker cover gasket was cork! didn't do the job at all, VW had up graded to Rubber, so! tracked one and that arrived wenesday.

Rocker Cover :swear2: something about it didn't ring true, it was either warped ,or, not quite sure whether there was a baffle of some description inside, checked with the VWT4 lot, bit of indecision there, they didn't make too many Petrol versions :doh:

So! Bit the bullet and ordered a new Cover.

Trying to adjust the emissions (the new Idle control valve altered settings!) using the small brass needle valve in the throttle body and the bloody thing sheared off, :doh:

SO! :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: now awaiting delivery, 3-4 weeks,

of Rocker Cover and small brass pain-in-the-arse needle valve/adjustment screw!

Many thanks due to @gus-lopez
Tipical heavy handed booty
Bill :rofl:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I thought the Trim around the cabinet doors , bathroom and wardrobe doors and other stuff, was looking a bit tired, so sanded everything off using a tad soapy water and a kitchen scourer. Then gave them a couple coats of a matt polyurethane. They came up looking excellent, lifted the whole look of the thing inside.

Gonna hire a "Rug Doctor" from TESCO next week and redo the Upholstery and carpet.

Just a tip if anyone is thinking of up grading their trim, I used a round brush about 15-18mm. The trick is, when you are using them, is to slowly rotate them between your fingers. Also good if using a round brush for cutting in around window frames etc, much easier to use than the traditional flat brush.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Replaced the Alde temperature sensor...... it took ages to settle to the right temperature though; thought I had bought a duff one for a while.

Also got the Oyster system working properly with new LNB’s thanks to Anthony Oystertech at their workshop

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

elaineteresa

Free Member
Apr 10, 2018
Funster No
Finally fitted my grab handle! If it breaks off again, it can stay broke. Had to remove a shed load of trim to get to back of the bolt. Lost several nuts in the bodywork. Finally did it very easily by wrapping sticky tape round my finger to find the bolt to put the nut on without losing another one!

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
15589866906651127017497.jpg
Not so much fixed as libarated from a old caravan that has been dumped I manged to get two replacement gas rings sume air ducting vents out side awning light side reflectors
And a Thetford cartrege
15589864197881816576963.jpg

Attachments

• 1558986670047713685335.jpg
    1558986670047713685335.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 12
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
New master cylinder fitted, Adjusted rear shoes & found cracks right down centres of each shoe? never seen that before? Changed for a spare set & adjusted. New brake balance valve .New front hand brake cable. All bled & balance valve adjusted as it wasn't set correctly.
2 new Hankkok winter tyres fitted this morning

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Argh! Discovered a mysterious leak visible just in front of the first rear axle:
upload_2019-6-1_12-30-7.jpeg

Drip

upload_2019-6-1_12-31-37.jpeg

Drip

upload_2019-6-1_12-33-41.jpeg

Drip!

The leak was a little more profuse than shown in the (post fix) photos!

Found the culprit (the second from left connection on the cold water manifold):

upload_2019-6-1_12-35-43.jpeg

I struggled a little to make a good connection until I realised that these connections sealed in the opposite manner to that of an olive connection. The seal is made by screwing the knurled knob away from the manifold down onto the hose!

Access was a little tight:
upload_2019-6-1_12-38-45.jpeg

..... and I couldn’t be bothered to take the door off!

Interesting to see how far the water was travelling before it made its exit. The leak was originating more or less in line with the water filler cap and was exiting in front of the foremost of the two rear axles.

upload_2019-6-1_12-41-29.jpeg

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
IMG_20190601_155956.jpg
IMG_20190601_160105.jpg
Our Hobby has two lockers on the N/S that have gas struts.
Don't know how but one of the hinges to thesnapped. I looked for alternatives but couldn't find anything suitable so I made one.
Not exactly of retail quality but, for a first attempt I'm happy.

Buster30

Free Member
Aug 4, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes ML580
Exp
Since 2018
Ran the water in the basin and it started pouring out of the door, the plastic waste fitting had completely disintegrated, not yet 3 year old Hymer chasing around today to get a replacement and fitted ready for trip to Europe

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Ran the water in the basin and it started pouring out of the door, the plastic waste fitting had completely disintegrated, not yet 3 year old Hymer chasing around today to get a replacement and fitted ready for trip to Europe

Why is it always the way of these things to break at the most inconvenient time. :mad:

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
This week I fitted a type approved towbar to go with the electrics I fitted the other week.

After getting quotes and realising how easy it was to do I bought a kit from Just Tow (justtow.com) who delivered it fast incuding the CANBUS electric box and wiring loom.

This has saved me around 800 quid and was really easy to do.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
This week I fitted a type approved towbar to go with the electrics I fitted the other week.

After getting quotes and realising how easy it was to do I bought a kit from Just Tow (justtow.com) who delivered it fast incuding the CANBUS electric box and wiring loom.

This has saved me around 800 quid and was really easy to do.

View attachment 315297

Oh I'm lovin that registration number.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
All go 'ere m'dears, the bits were delivered last saturday, got "her" into the garage on tuesday. Gave them a gee up today, hopefully get her back tomorrow. Definately booked into Baltic Wharf next week!

Had the Rug Doctor out for a day(did the house as well!). Yes! the old girl is starting to look good!!

Some of you scruffy lot will more than likely know that in the past , the Mohome was referred to as "IT"

That was until some one phoned and asked "is johnno there?" Maureen answered "he is out front with his Floozee"

SO! "IT" is now a she and is now "Floozee! "

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Well, I haven't fixed anything this week but I am hoping the garage where my MH was towed to have fixed the clutch hydraulics that gave up on our return trip from Marseille. They have had it for two weeks now.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
i lost vacuum to my servo on the way to the mot today so had to turn round and diegnose the problem.
the vac pump gasket looks like it was leeking made a new one and as i had another pump i replaced the vac pump every thing works ok now (y)
only thing is now knackered after just a few hrs graft while i have it outside the garage think i will change the CV joint and fix the small oil leek where the dip stick go's in to the sump at the breather pipe Y section.
my brother complained when i left a bit of oil on his drive.
bill

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Kitchen cupboard door top hinge decided to come adrift. Very short screws into chip board and the bottom hinge didn't seem to have any bite on its screws. Both off, holes plugged with shaved down large cooks style matchsticks and wood glue. Leaving it for 24 hrs before refitting.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Kitchen cupboard door top hinge decided to come adrift. Very short screws into chip board and the bottom hinge didn't seem to have any bite on its screws. Both off, holes plugged with shaved down large cooks style matchsticks and wood glue. Leaving it for 24 hrs before refitting.

Will you come and sort my kitchen cupboard doors out in my house please. . . . :( ...

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
New windscreen today, crack in the old one, started about a month ago and was slowly moving diagonally upwards, but as we're p-xing it for the new van in 10 days we decided to get it done.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
i lost vacuum to my servo on the way to the mot today so had to turn round and diegnose the problem.
the vac pump gasket looks like it was leeking made a new one and as i had another pump i replaced the vac pump every thing works ok now (y)
only thing is now knackered after just a few hrs graft while i have it outside the garage think i will change the CV joint and fix the small oil leek where the dip stick go's in to the sump at the breather pipe Y section.
my brother complained when i left a bit of oil on his drive.
bill
You are only just out of hospital! A couple hours work on the van is still quite a bit. Be sure to take things easy for a while longer. :)

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
changed the CV joint and fix the oil leek.
Fund another problem off side track rod has very slight play on it so ordered another two might as well change them both i then think it should be good to go.
apart from the ruining light i knocked off on side of garage when moving the van this morning:doh:
bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back