What do you do about watering your gardens when you are off on a jaunt???? (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
I just thought id ask as you are all obviously experienced at getting out and about, how do you water your plants ,hanging baskets, fruit and veg etc,when you are off on your travels?(obviously this is aimed at people who have a garden) when we had motorhomes we just didnt do much gardening ,and block paving and lawn was about all we had, we have since got carried away with borders,pots, tubs, and hanging baskets,thinking we would be at home,(plugs of bedding plants in conservatory waiting to get pottedwhen weather improves, but the otherday i impulsively booked a flight to spain,for july, and am now thinking what i can do about my plants? i cant ask anyone to do it for me , and ive been looking at irrigation systems ,like hozelock ,has anyone any recomendations please? Thankyou pampam
and before you say it😀
this is when a fulltimer could park on your drive lol

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I have seen requests for 'home sitters' I can see Doncaster is your base you seem to have the solution I am sure someone would love to visit Doncaster park on your drive and water your garden. What dates are you looking a and do you have a drive?

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
At our last house we moved from four years ago I fitted hidden water system around the paved patio area and also out front to hanging baskets .
I used Hozelock water timer/computer fitted to external plumbing feeding through dedicated 12mm pipe and then very small bore offshoots with adjustable drippers for each pot and more than one on large pots.
I set on off for morning and evening and the system although needs regular checks for moisture worked well over many years.
It’s worth a look around either B&Q or garden centres who normally stock this.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I think that unless you are going to install an elaborate automatic watering system,you need to cut back on the hanging baskets for starters. Then look at reducing your pots. If the plants can stand being in poor draining soil,use some if you can....many of the composts you buy at the garden centre dry out very quickly. Put pots and tubs in the shade . Try adding some of those water retaining crystals that you can buy at the garden centre or on line. Cut back leafy plants,the more lush they are,the more water they need. Put trays under pots and leave with water in. Pray!

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I use hozelock automatic timers,I have 2 on separate outside taps. They have never failed and the batteries last for ages. I use some of their pipes and drippers and one tap feeds a soak hose. However o e year I came back to drowned plants. It is difficult to get the rate of drip and length of time of watering balanced correctly especially with a long length of drippers. You need to have it in operation for a week before leaving and I always ask my neighbour to check and if she sees any problems, like a leak, just to turn the taps off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
or you could do as i do and cultivate and insect sanctuary the weeds need very little looking after :rofl:

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Neibours used to do ours ( they are utter stars! ) when feeding the cats but alas- they have bought a Moho and we are now co- jaunting 😄😄so need to cultivate reliable garden loving cat sitter....my tomatoes are as well loved as the cats...

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
I use hozelock automatic timers,I have 2 on separate outside taps. They have never failed and the batteries last for ages. I use some of their pipes and drippers and one tap feeds a soak hose. However o e year I came back to drowned plants. It is difficult to get the rate of drip and length of time of watering balanced correctly especially with a long length of drippers. You need to have it in operation for a week before leaving and I always ask my neighbour to check and if she sees any problems, like a leak, just to turn the taps off.
We also use a set of timers, but to avoid the overwatering scenario, I gather that there are now sensors that can decide whether the water needs to come on or not.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We also use a set of timers, but to avoid the overwatering scenario, I gather that there are now sensors that can decide whether the water needs to come on or not.
It was the ones at the beginning of the run that got all the water even though I use the adjustable drippers!

OP
OP
P
Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Nanniemate yes i would definately have a house sitter if i had animals
but am not going down that path at moment id love a couple of dogs but i do like to go on holidays whenever possible, so no pets at moment ☹️

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Timed watering system seems to work. All pots pulled together in the shade under a pergola.
Take the cats with us. They love it. 👍🐱

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Fortunately the only thing we need to worry about externally is cutting the grass which our friend is more than happy to come round and do. Internally house plants and post are more difficult - we move all the plants into our north facing bathroom and as we normally away over winter we turn the mains off so leave a large bucket of water in there too and my in-laws then come over once in a while and water them and sort the post (not a lot usually) but unfortunately they are often are too enthusiastic about watering the plants and I often lose some through overwatering. 😭

Our new neighbours either side are great so if either of the above parties couldn't do the stuff for us I'm sure they'd do it instead if needed.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Wondering the same, mine will just have to do what they can, will ask John's family to check weekly, but they are not reliable. His son's face was a picture when we told him one of the cameras had piked him up putting the mail on the side in the kitchen.Had said he was visisting every week but we knew he was not, hastily said he had looked round outside and everything looked ok, we have an over 6' fence round most of the house and he is under that. Might spur him to actually have a proper look in future. :LOL: cant get into the garden without going through the house as gate can only be opened from the garden. so asking neighbours isn't really an option, although our new, across the road neighbours are keen gardeners, may have to cultivate them as well as my raised beds. ;)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We have a gardener. I know that sounds like I’m being unhelpful but a few years ago I had a stupid moment and we went off and I had turned the water off so he had no outside tap! What a muppet.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
We have a drip hose system from the water butts slinking around part of the garden, we don’t have hanging baskets , we have a robomower called Robbie to keep the grass trimmed. The worst thing for me is feeding our regular hedgehog visitors but my neighbour does that .

Jul 9, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Son comes around if I threaten him and next door neighbor very good if said son is not seen about.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
When I had the greenhouse I rigged up a washing machine water solenoid to the outside tap and plugged it into a plug type timer. Just programed it on 6.00am until 6.01am every day and only opened the tap 10%. Worked great. 😎

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We have a low maintenance garden, no lawn, so it doesn't need watering.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Nothing in our bit of scrubland gets watered unless it rains.
Seems to do quite well considering in the wild it would only get watered when it rained.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I have seen requests for 'home sitters' I can see Doncaster is your base you seem to have the solution I am sure someone would love to visit Doncaster park on your drive and water your garden. What dates are you looking a and do you have a drive?
There’s no need, there’s rarely a drought here in Doncaster🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️😁

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Timed watering doesn't work too well in practice.
You don't get an even distribution, so it can take a long time to set up (each time you alter one section, it affects another). I've used the water sensing devices to prevent over-watering but have not been convinced that they work.
The best method I've found is to water into very large trays, into which you stand pots. Watering is more even that way and serious overwatering less likely.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back