What do you do about watering your gardens when you are off on a jaunt???? (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Timed watering doesn't work too well in practice.
You don't get an even distribution, so it can take a long time to set up (each time you alter one section, it affects another). I've used the water sensing devices to prevent over-watering but have not been convinced that they work.
The best method I've found is to water into very large trays, into which you stand pots. Watering is more even that way and serious overwatering less likely.

I would contradict that as my system as posted above with careful set up and maintenance worked perfectly for many years watering no less than twenty patio pots large and small.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
waterirrigation.co.uk
Have everything u need and u can read up about what u need on their site. Bear in mind your water pressure if u have a large garden might need multiple timers operating at different times
Much cheaper than anyone else. (Not connected to them in any way)

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If it’s a big garden would it be better to have a tank as a buffer if the pressure is low ? No idea as we don’t water anything.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 26, 2020
Uranus
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Successfully used a Hozelock timer system for a couple of years; then the timer detached itself from the tap. Luckily we weren't away at the time. so only had a slightly flooded garden. Not sure what caused the failure, it may have been a cheapo (non-Hozelock) connector on the tap. Anyway, the experience made my wallet paranoid about leaving the tap on in the garden whilst away, so now the plants have to rely on the weather, which is quite good at keeping things moist in South Somerset.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Successfully used a Hozelock timer system for a couple of years; then the timer detached itself from the tap. Luckily we weren't away at the time. so only had a slightly flooded garden. Not sure what caused the failure, it may have been a cheapo (non-Hozelock) connector on the tap. Anyway, the experience made my wallet paranoid about leaving the tap on in the garden whilst away, so now the plants have to rely on the weather, which is quite good at keeping things moist in South Somerset.
That's why I don't do it now, we're on a water meter. I did set up an experimental system with a tank, water pump and moisture sensor but after a couple of failed attempts I lost interest.

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Hozelock timers, with a mix of porous hose, sprinklers and dribblers on at sunset and sunrise for 2 minutes. Also a ball cock valve for the pond.

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
I just thought id ask as you are all obviously experienced at getting out and about, how do you water your plants ,hanging baskets, fruit and veg etc,when you are off on your travels?(obviously this is aimed at people who have a garden) when we had motorhomes we just didnt do much gardening ,and block paving and lawn was about all we had, we have since got carried away with borders,pots, tubs, and hanging baskets,thinking we would be at home,(plugs of bedding plants in conservatory waiting to get pottedwhen weather improves, but the otherday i impulsively booked a flight to spain,for july, and am now thinking what i can do about my plants? i cant ask anyone to do it for me , and ive been looking at irrigation systems ,like hozelock ,has anyone any recomendations please? Thankyou pampam
and before you say it😀
this is when a fulltimer could park on your drive lol
Surely one get's ones gardener to do it? ;)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Daughter who lives upstairs: feed the cat, fish, pigs, rabbits, hens etc and also water the window boxes and baskets which need a daily/evening soak (Petunias).

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I just thought id ask as you are all obviously experienced at getting out and about, how do you water your plants ,hanging baskets, fruit and veg etc,when you are off on your travels?(obviously this is aimed at people who have a garden) when we had motorhomes we just didnt do much gardening ,and block paving and lawn was about all we had, we have since got carried away with borders,pots, tubs, and hanging baskets,thinking we would be at home,(plugs of bedding plants in conservatory waiting to get pottedwhen weather improves, but the otherday i impulsively booked a flight to spain,for july, and am now thinking what i can do about my plants? i cant ask anyone to do it for me , and ive been looking at irrigation systems ,like hozelock ,has anyone any recomendations please? Thankyou pampam
and before you say it😀
this is when a fulltimer could park on your drive lol
Not sure’ but I think one of the staff does it.

Jan 9, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
tribute T615
Exp
Since late 2015
When we rook an extended holiday a few years ago, I invested in a water timer and a couple of oscillating sprinklers from Screwfix. With a bit of trial and error I managed to get the sprinklers to cover virtually all of the garden. The timer was set to come on at about 2 a.m. (so that there was no risk of the neighbours being caught by a freak wind while they were out in their own gardens) for about 30 minutes. Worked perfectly and not very expensive.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We get so much rain we have a good water table so rarely have to think about "Whose going to water the plants" :giggler:

Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Normally pay someone local to do it and someone else to cut the grass. Did offer free MH parking in 1.5 acres with EHU and toilet facilities to anyone that wanted to stay for a couple of weeks in Cornwall as long as they did the watering which takes about 45 minutes a day by hose. Problem is how do you know you can trust whoever accepts the offer to do the job?

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Our teenage grandson does ours and keeps the lawns under control. We pay him a pocket money amount for doing so. He also checks mail for us.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Gardena micro bore timer system. Neighbour or Son keeps an eye on things.

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Timed watering doesn't work too well in practice.
You don't get an even distribution, so it can take a long time to set up (each time you alter one section, it affects another). I've used the water sensing devices to prevent over-watering but have not been convinced that they work.
The best method I've found is to water into very large trays, into which you stand pots. Watering is more even that way and serious overwatering less likely.
We have used timed watering for many years with success. It does take a while to set up but as long as nobody fiddles with it - one of our girls came round while we were away once and disconnect the timer from the tap so she could wash her car 🙁 - it works fine. We now have dedicated taps for the timers - one for the front garden and one for the back - and another for everything else. The timers are set so they come on at different times so the water pressure isn’t lowered by trying to run both zones concurrently.

Successfully used a Hozelock timer system for a couple of years; then the timer detached itself from the tap. Luckily we weren't away at the time. so only had a slightly flooded garden. Not sure what caused the failure, it may have been a cheapo (non-Hozelock) connector on the tap. Anyway, the experience made my wallet paranoid about leaving the tap on in the garden whilst away, so now the plants have to rely on the weather, which is quite good at keeping things moist in South Somerset
also, if the batteries go flat out they fail “on”. I have recent experience of this in a holiday cottage 😬. The guests became concerned when the water was running down the path and onto the road. Fortunately I was only 5 minutes away so went over and disconnected it.

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
We use a combo of bribery (next doors teenage son ) , blackmail (daughter who like to use the moho ) and clever gardening . Raised beds lined with damp proof course , our own compost which holds moisture lovely , mulch with grit or from Apsley farms in Andover , planting so that we create some shade and we also cross fingers

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Garden?
Watering plants?
The whole world is our garden and we have millions of gardeners never have to worry about watering, weeds nor re-planting! :LOL:

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Last year I contacted Anglia Water about their save water promotion. They very kindly sent me a box of goodies which contained, amongst others things, a packet of small jelly like particle for the hanging baskets BUT I found they work just as well in my larger, floor based, pots. When one waters, or it rains, they mixed in the soil, absorb the water and expands and then slowly release the water over the next couple of weeks. Not foolproof but seems to works and being free is a bonus, try your water company, they might do something similar?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As I said eairler when we get our daughter to water them we normally come back to dead plants.
Before this trip Mi put a request on the local Facebook page offering to pay and a nice lady volunteered to do it & didn't want any payment. We will of course take here back something, would have been wine but she doesn't drink.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
As I said eairler when we get our daughter to water them we normally come back to dead plants.
Before this trip Mi put a request on the local Facebook page offering to pay and a nice lady volunteered to do it & didn't want any payment. We will of course take here back something, would have been wine but she doesn't drink.
Flowers or produce from your garden, while your away, is always acceptable.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
We had 130 pots that needed watering regularly - daily when it was dry. It all became too difficult. We now live in a flat :)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
If you have a watering system, and a water meter... contact your utility company to get a discount on your sewerage charge...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back