What are the requirements for a farm to create a CL site? (1 Viewer)

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
I agree on the EHU point Tony but initially and to keep it simple just provide the basics. EHU is an expense that most farmers could not afford.

Sadly the high suicide rate amongst the farming community is, in part, linked to money worries, any income from providing a basic CL type facility may help them.

Last nights BBC2 programme, This Farming Life, highlighted just how hard things are for some farmers.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
From our point of view, we'd love to see a farm where young kids could actually help on the farm (obviously only with safe stuff) with maybe gathering eggs, feeding lambs etc.

I'd suggest there are many like us who have pre-school grand-childen and would love to take them on a farm stay and best time for us is when the older kids are in school. Get a few grand-parents with a few 3 / 4 year olds on a farm, bet they would all have a great time!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Being such a noob I don't understand the difference between CL and all the other abbreviations. I assume a CL has fewer spots, services and is cheaper than some others?

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Being such a noob I don't understand the difference between CL and all the other abbreviations. I assume a CL has fewer spots, services and is cheaper than some others?

CL = Certified Location which is a basic 5 unit site with easy regulation hoops to open..

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
An increasing number of cls are providing EHUs as that is another factor that limits the length of stay for many campers. To attract reasonable numbers the more facilities the better. Very few visitors will be as well-equipped as the average MH Fun member. The cost and complexity of provision of facilities is limited by the 5 van rule.
Don't agree I really don't like EHU on 5 van sites, the owners install and then have to jack their prices up to commercial site rates to recover the cost.
I'd much rather have a field with no facilities for a fiver a night.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
As TerryL says... we always try to find a CL/CS that don't have leccy.
And yes Sandancers agree totally.. when kids were younger our favourite CL used to luv our two kids helping out at lambing.
Their usual job was to take a lamb that it's mother had rejected and they would walk around all day with the lamb trying to find a ewe prepared to take on another young un. Ah the memories.

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
CL = Certified Location which is a basic 5 unit site with easy regulation hoops to open..

Are they affiliated with a club? Is some sort of membership needed?

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Plenty of info on the Campra forum. What part of Scotland are you in? I believe the Highland Council have asked farmers and crafters to see if they have any suitable land that could be used for MH overnight parking.

Link to Highland Council report, which has an email link to the person to contact about aires.

We are SW ... but I know Torridon Community council are struggling to finance a black waste disposal point even with a grant ...

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We are SW ... but I know Torridon Community council are struggling to finance a black waste disposal point even with a grant ...
Do what the French do, get the mayor & his mates to do the work & it will only cost a few quid in materials.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Do what the French do, get the mayor & his mates to do the work & it will only cost a few quid in materials.
The French aire system is really impressive. We were talking about it last time we were in France and put it down to the fact certain powers are devolved to villages so it doesn’t get stopped dead at county council level.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Is there a limit on how many cs/cls one farmer can have on his land?
I know of at least 2 places that had 2 CLs but under different names, ie husband and wife, mother and daughter. One has changed hands and now only appears to be one.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
This company sells them from £320 +VAT. Maybe it is the cost of plumbing that is the problem.
1613667759323.jpeg

Quackers

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2019
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
Me too but I suspect we're in a minority.
Really cannot entertain a fiver a night but I must admit we have lost a lot of enquires due to not having EHU. But as you say installing electric hook up points and then getting everything tested every year is expensive, especially with only a 5 van limit.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Me too but I suspect we're in a minority.
From what I've seen at a friends CS backs this up, he opened it about eight years ago, for the first three to 4 years there wasn't any EHU and things were slow. After he put EHU in it does really well. He did his homework and most of his enquiries were from tuggers who don't have solar.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Legally, is there a difference between installing EHU specifically for visiting campers to use, and allowing a visitor to connect to an existing 13amp socket. I'm assuming any 13amp socket accessible from outside has adequate protections.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We like the Cls with EHU. We don't want showers and toilets though.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
We love CL’s, prefer no electric but there aren’t many around.

Fairly annoying as I am trying to justify spending the money on the solar panels and batteries. :)

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
You can please some of the people some of the time, but not.......
;)
We're mostly pleased as many Cls now have EHU.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back