What are the requirements for a farm to create a CL site? (1 Viewer)

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Just been watching a Yorkshire news story around farmers mental health, loneliness and the high suicide rate and I just wondered that if more farms could have CL type sites, then these would kill at least 2 birds with one stone, firstly more sites for MoHo and caravanners to use and the farmers would have regular contact with people to whom they could at least have chats with and I am sure friendships would grow.

what are the CL site requirements in respect of Planning etc, not what we would need ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
So if they have a suitable piece of land and reasonable access it’s possible then without too much faff?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I'm surprised at that Jim.... Councils usually grab whatever funds they can.

Campsites require both planning permission and a council licence. CLs require neither, though they do make us run stuff by the council planners. But they would need to take us to court to stop a CL

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
The Caravan and Motorhome Club Cls are required to provide a minimum standard
of facilities. These are:

Safe access for caravans and motor
caravans to include a 3.66m (12 foot)
minimum width gateway and safe approach
road.

Safe drinking and rinsing water taps. If you
are on non-mains water we will require proof
from you on an annual basis that your water
is safe to drink.

A secure emptying point for chemical waste
water.

An adequate number of covered bins for the
disposal of dry refuse.

Public Liability Insurance.

Polobonnie100

Free Member
Feb 15, 2016
Harefield UB9
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Maybe the Young Farmers need informing of this option - any ideas?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The Caravan and Motorhome Club Cls are required to provide a minimum standard
of facilities. These are:

Safe access for caravans and motor
caravans to include a 3.66m (12 foot)
minimum width gateway and safe approach
road.

Safe drinking and rinsing water taps. If you
are on non-mains water we will require proof
from you on an annual basis that your water
is safe to drink.

A secure emptying point for chemical waste
water.

An adequate number of covered bins for the
disposal of dry refuse.

Public Liability Insurance.
But apart from access and insurance that's got to be a club requirement, not a legal one.

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
wasnt lying down when I had the thought 😄 I will research Who represents the farmers best, not sure if the NFU are the right people. I believe an issue will be that many farms are tenanted and as a result the tenants may not be able to divers too much from mainstream farming.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Might be worth taking a look at this group who are campaigning for, and achieving resilts with, setting up Aires.

Part of their approach is using the Motorcaravanners Club (MCC) to ‘certify’ sites as Aires (akin to the CLs/CSs.

CampRA

They also have a Facebook Group. Indeed, they started off as a FB Group but grew so quickly that they had to set up the forum to better track/manage their initiatives.

They doing great work with considerable success.

Ian

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Might be worth taking a look at this group who are campaigning for, and achieving resilts with, setting up Aires.

Part of their approach is using the Motorcaravanners Club (MCC) to ‘certify’ sites as Aires (akin to the CLs/CSs.

CampRA

They also have a Facebook Group. Indeed, they started off as a FB Group but grew so quickly that they had to set up the forum to better track/manage their initiatives.

They doing great work with considerable success.

Ian
See post 21

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
As well as absolute requirements I wonder if it would be useful to share any ideas for reasonable cost solutions for grey and black waste.
My main concern, if I opened up our field, would be people disposing of their waste in hedgerows if I didn’t provide other facilities.

Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
I have found on a number of occasions that cl owners are happy if GREY waste is deposited in hedgerows especially in dry weather, or depending on the site environment, while others do not allow it in order to prevent runoff damaging nearby water courses. It depends on the circumstances of each cl owner. You need to ask and respect their instruction.

Quackers

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2019
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
While you could get away with grey waste in hedgerows I think you would be very foolish not to put in a black waste tank. Just remember who will be left with mess if somebody has filled their cassette and needs to empty it.

Nobody looking, I will just empty it in the corner of the field it wont be in the way there. And then they pull out telling you what a lovely stay they had.

On a positive note you do meet some really nice people, and so far we have found folk very respectful of our property.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
As well as absolute requirements I wonder if it would be useful to share any ideas for reasonable cost solutions for grey and black waste.
My main concern, if I opened up our field, would be people disposing of their waste in hedgerows if I didn’t provide other facilities.
Plenty of info on the Campra forum. What part of Scotland are you in? I believe the Highland Council have asked farmers and crafters to see if they have any suitable land that could be used for MH overnight parking.

Link to Highland Council report, which has an email link to the person to contact about aires.

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Basic is always best, minimum fresh water supply and black waste disposal, without these average stop overs would probably be very short. Grey water can safely be spread along field verges and hedgerows.

Hard or very firm parking would also open up all year use.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
An increasing number of cls are providing EHUs as that is another factor that limits the length of stay for many campers. To attract reasonable numbers the more facilities the better. Very few visitors will be as well-equipped as the average MH Fun member. The cost and complexity of provision of facilities is limited by the 5 van rule.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back