What are the requirements for a farm to create a CL site? (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Lenny HB I agree 110%.
Why go to expense of fitting solar..B2B... lithium etc etc just to pay extra to "plug in" 😎😎
But we haven’t all got lithium, solar or even 2 leisure batteries.
Some of us have older vans of which the fitting of solar and lithium and the resultant electronic adjustments , with possible inverter use, may prove uneconomical on an older van.
A second leisure battery, if space permitted would help though, I grant you, but sometimes EHU is really needed and can often limit choice of site, and you have to pay accordingly.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Are we moving away from what the OP was asking ie what a farmer needs to do initially to have a CL, with a view towards his mental wellbeing plus make a bit of cash?

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
But we haven’t all got lithium, solar or even 2 leisure batteries.
Some of us have older vans of which the fitting of solar and lithium and the resultant electronic adjustments , with possible inverter use, may prove uneconomical on an older van.
A second leisure battery, if space permitted would help though, I grant you, but sometimes EHU is really needed and can often limit choice of site, and you have to pay accordingly.

I get it, I used to have a caravan with a small solar panel. In the winter months, we had no chance to last more than a few days.

It would be better for us if sites offered electric separately, France for instance usually costs about €4 a night which we never need.

The more CL sites the better, with or without electric. 👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Are we moving away from what the OP was asking ie what a farmer needs to do initially to have a CL, with a view towards his mental wellbeing plus make a bit of cash?
Yes but don’t worry, I have been making phone calls today and will be sending correspondence out to a number of possibly interested parties, including the NFU, Young Farmers and the Safe Farm Foundation who have a Mental health project on the go.

Apr 26, 2012
lancs
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
since 2006
Re CL's and making farmers aware, the two publications which are read the most by farmers are Farmers' Weekly, and Farmer's Guardian, forget the NFU at a national level (Initials stand for its reputation in Agriculture) , but regional. and local branches may be more interested. countryfile isn't watched by many farmers to my knowledge, but local radio, and tv are usually interested in farming issues. Farmers are busy people for most of the year, and perhaps there would be more take up of the idea, if interested parties could offer help to set up the CLs. i have been involved in Farming for most of my life, and have seen it become a very solitary , and worrying occupation in many cases sometimes resulting in suicides, and marriage breakups, so anything to change things would be welcome. Joanna Lumley's programme this week when she met an ex dairy, and arable farmer who had gone into "wilding" doesn't do much for the industry as it seems to forget we all have to eat.

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
Just been reading through this thread and decided to join the motorcaravanners club, anybody else doing that or Already a member?

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Re CL's and making farmers aware, the two publications which are read the most by farmers are Farmers' Weekly, and Farmer's Guardian, forget the NFU at a national level (Initials stand for its reputation in Agriculture) , but regional. and local branches may be more interested. countryfile isn't watched by many farmers to my knowledge, but local radio, and tv are usually interested in farming issues. Farmers are busy people for most of the year, and perhaps there would be more take up of the idea, if interested parties could offer help to set up the CLs. i have been involved in Farming for most of my life, and have seen it become a very solitary , and worrying occupation in many cases sometimes resulting in suicides, and marriage breakups, so anything to change things would be welcome. Joanna Lumley's programme this week when she met an ex dairy, and arable farmer who had gone into "wilding" doesn't do much for the industry as it seems to forget we all have to eat.
The 2 clubs already advertise in the Guardian and Weekly from time to time for CL sites but their slant is diversification and making money and the issue I have with those ads are that any farmer looking at them will firstly think 'what's it going to cost me ?' Looking at it from a social point of view first may just get some interested.
In Joanna Lumley's piece the farm in question is NEPP Farm which I have visited and they still produce beef for the food chain its just that instead of it being intensively reared ( with all the issues that style of farming causes) they have long Horn beef, Venison and pork all herds in smaller numbers but because they are free range etc. NEPP can sell at a premium for better quality meat. They are making more money by Wilding than they were as a trad. farm.
It well worth visiting when you can, the only issue is they do not take Mohos overnight which I have been on at them about previously but with Covid the conversation has gone quite. I will talk to them again.

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
We ask that you have safe access and egress and space to pitch 1 to 5 vans at least 6m apart. Then...

Bins. optional
Water. optional
Elsan. optional
Insurance. essential. (we can help with that)

Council Licence is not required.
Jim, what sort of Annual premium would a farm expect to pay for PI insurance ?

Apr 26, 2012
lancs
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
since 2006
Whoops seem to have posted in error , blame it on age :giggle:Besides ' What is it going to cost me? ' I think the main issue would be when have I got time to do that, which is why I suggested that someone offering help to set it up would be a good idea, as when you are in the middle of lambing, or silaging you have plenty on your mind, not CLs. Re the bit on KNEPP farm, you thankfully answered two of the points I raised ie they produce less, and it costs substantially more ,so bad luck for the many who can't afford the products, back to going hungry for them. Beef for example is produced under a variety of breeds and systems in this country, so it is possible to buy beef which has not been intensively fed which doesn't have " the issues " which you apparently know about. The problems which famers are facing, quite rightly raised by you , will not be solved by "wilding", but could be helped by assisting them to start a CL which would provide a small amount of income, but a reward in terms of meeting other people.

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Coming from a farming family perhaps an alternative perspective!
Firstly media seem to be somewhat distorted from my observation. They probably would have no idea of a farmer's life and abilities to diversify. Then the programs rarely portray commercial farms merely hobby farms, apart from one farm that has massive media financial input.
My relatives and farmer friends are quite happy with there own company, would and do dislike intrusion!
Of course many marginal operations will die away and as is the norm be absorbed into larger unit's. I do not say this is desirable unfortunately inevitable.
Of course a few farmers/landowners gleen an extra income from tourist activities, however many would hate the intrusion, that is a view from real people not speculation.NFU and the Country Land Owners organisation have diversification representatives.
Many small farms rely on cooperation from fellow farmers, competition could cause friction, no evidence for that merely a inner feeling.
As in nature over interference from man has unexpected consequences.

THJ

Free Member
May 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
Site owner
OK, so my comment seems to have been deleted as I referred to another CL organisation. 'Jim' (who I guess is the admin) said that Motorhome Fun has its own network of CLs. But I can't seem to find more than one. Is there a map of them? Where can I see prices and reviews?

THJ

Free Member
May 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
Site owner
OK, so my comment seems to have been deleted as I referred to another CL organisation. 'Jim' (who I guess is the admin) said that Motorhome Fun has its own network of CLs. But I can't seem to find more than one. Is there a map of them? Where can I see prices and reviews?
If my guess is correct then you are aligned or associated with the Freedom Camping Club. It seems too much of a coincidence that your two addresses are just 8 minutes drive apart..

Last edited by a moderator:

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
I believe that Jim, who owns Motorhome Fun, and is that main man as far as the forum goes, is I believe in the process, with the help of a few funsters, getting prospective CLs looked at and producing a map with all the details.
Watch this space (other spaces are available 😄)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
On the face of it ,it seems simple, but for a working farm it is a totally different thing than just opening a field gate and letting folks in, most are not set up for people staying in a working environment, what about the stock, which can be dangerous to everyone especially to folks who don't understand them.
Tractors and feed and milk lorry's also have to be taken into consideration.
There will be no facilities for campers who need them without forking out loads of money for someone who may never turn up.
Good idea but way from easy, probably a bigger headache than being on your own.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
If my guess is correct then you are aligned or associated with the Freedom Camping Club. It seems too much of a coincidence that your two addresses are just 8 minutes drive apart..
What an odd statement I live 8 minutes drive from loads of people and have no association with any of them Also there is a CAMC site next door to jim s with your reckoning that mean he is also affiliated to them. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
As well as absolute requirements I wonder if it would be useful to share any ideas for reasonable cost solutions for grey and black waste.
My main concern, if I opened up our field, would be people disposing of their waste in hedgerows if I didn’t provide other facilities.
As a basic you could just have a manhole cover to your main drain with a handle on it for easier access and perhaps a standpipe nearby with a bit of hose to flush around after emptying. Failing that but not a cheap option a septic tank with associated perforated drains.🤔

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
I believe that Jim, who owns Motorhome Fun, and is that main man as far as the forum goes, is I believe in the process, with the help of a few funsters, getting prospective CLs looked at and producing a map with all the details.
Watch this space (other spaces are available 😄)
Yes he is. I'm going to visit a prospect next Monday.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
I'm surprised at that Jim.... Councils usually grab whatever funds they can.
So would you if you have had your annual budget reduced year after year after year by central government. 28 years in local government informs that answer.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Me and Mrs Emmit have in the past been C&CC site Inspectors for their Annual check and we have also visited proposed sites for C.S's (C&CC's name for Certified Locations ie CL's.

In addition to the previous points mentioned, the Club? insisted that any homes overlooking (and that included, almost as far as the eye could see)the proposed site were informed of the proposed application and in addition, any High Tension overhead wires were noted with instructions that, if granted, there should be prominent signage to advise of the fact. Further, should there be any open water in the immediate vicinity of the site, that should also be well advertised.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
When me and Mrs Emmit 'Did' Cornwall, for the C&CC (excluding the OS Map covering the Looe area, but including the Hartland, Clovelly area) there were in the region of 90 C&CC C.L's.

That was in 2014.

Today I believe the number of C.S's is down in the region of 55.

Some of the C.S's have obtained Licences from the Council allowing them to pitch more than 5 Caravans and Motorhomes +Tents.
I would imagine the majority have gone the way of purchases by er 'Emmits' (not us) who have converted them to Smallholdings, Equine Centres and second homes.

Quackers

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2019
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
Until some tool leaves the lid open…….

I’m so Sorry:imoutahere:
That's another first for us but hey, lid shut before the big storm so really no problem, just glad you called. Skid marks seeded this afternoon so that will be gone in a few weeks.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
From our point of view, we'd love to see a farm where young kids could actually help on the farm (obviously only with safe stuff) with maybe gathering eggs, feeding lambs etc.

I'd suggest there are many like us who have pre-school grand-childen and would love to take them on a farm stay and best time for us is when the older kids are in school. Get a few grand-parents with a few 3 / 4 year olds on a farm, bet they would all have a great time!
unfortunately those days are gone health and safety means untrained person entering work area is a no no

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
unfortunately those days are gone health and safety means untrained person entering work area is a no no

I think you'll find that untrained people can enter work areas as long as they are accompanied by trained and authorised personnel.

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998

There are petting farms that could do CL on the side. The airfield at Boston Lincs is now a CL as is the Microcar Museum at Langrick nr Boston. The potential places of interest is endless

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back