What are the main differences between Hymer B584 and Hymer 584 Classic? Help and advice please. (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
The way to tell, is look at floor, if hatches are present, lift a few and look for water (clean and waste) tanks. There will also be lockers in the floor about 6 or 9" deep.
My B544 is on Fiat Maxi chassis and has double floor, I don't know where this idea that only Allko chassis have double floor.

Jun 18, 2008
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hymer B588 PL
Exp
34 Years
I have decided to make a big step and go from a pop-top camper to an A class.

I want a small LHD A class and really like the size and layout of the Hymer B584, but can't really find any details of what the difference is to the Hymer 584 Classic.

My budget means I'm looking at vans built around 2004.

I saw a B584 this week and the size and layout were ideal but unfortunately the van wasn't 'the right one'.

Looking at current ads. the Classic looks to have a more basic spec. and have a different front end. There are a couple on the market but before viewing I would like help with what the differences are and any thoughts and advice on what to check for. Are there any owners of either model with any thoughts?

All help and advice appreciated.
Hi I have a couple of old Hymer Brochures from 2003 in English.

Attachments

• 20200130_221018.jpg
    20200130_221018.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 20200130_221045.jpg
    20200130_221045.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 45

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Well I've watched this thread and smiled, I really think more of a problem is being made than necessary.
We have had our Hymer 584 Classic for 15 years and as you have established the difference is the Classic does not have a double floor, does it make any difference none that I can find after travelling all over Europe and Morocco in it
Does it have storage yes the large locker the width of the back takes tables chairs barbecue, rotary clothes airer and our quest. Then the beany box to keep cables hoses and all manner of bits and bobs.
Quality inside ours after 15 years is still as solid and tidy as when we bought it at 5 years old so now. 20 years old still on the same exhaust passed every MOT.
Will be changing it not on your life it has so much room storage
carry 2 electric bikes on the back no problem and is very comfortable
IMG_20190722_162959.jpg

I don't think you'll go far wrong with a 584.. Classic or not.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Well I've watched this thread and smiled, I really think more of a problem is being made than necessary.
We have had our Hymer 584 Classic for 15 years and as you have established the difference is the Classic does not have a double floor, does it make any difference none that I can find after travelling all over Europe and Morocco in it
Does it have storage yes the large locker the width of the back takes tables chairs barbecue, rotary clothes airer and our quest. Then the beany box to keep cables hoses and all manner of bits and bobs.
Quality inside ours after 15 years is still as solid and tidy as when we bought it at 5 years old so now. 20 years old still on the same exhaust passed every MOT.
View attachment 360072
My experience precisely. We changed ours reluctantly and only because Gaye was diagnosed with spinal degeneration leading to trapped nerves and a lot of pain (now better controlled). The problem was that she needed a bed that could be customised and arranged with much memory foam and pillows so we bought what we have now with a fixed rear island double that she has all to herself. I use (as I always have) the front drop down bed. So for the first time we had to go against our principles and have a van with a space-wasting fixed bed - but needs must and her bed now works for her. We both still miss the brilliant layout and quality of the B584 Classic.

OP
OP
DorsetDrifter
Aug 10, 2014
Dorset by the sea
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584 Classic
Exp
Since 2016
View attachment 360072
Thank you, that's just the sort of info I'm looking for. The double floor keeps cropping up but your experience shows it need't be such a big deal.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Well said Carol.
Ours is a single floor B584, on Davao, same big locker right across rear, beany box, fantastic layout-we had our fixed table ‘chopped’ so it hinges down out of way & leg lives in wardrobe!
Good solid construction and after living in it for nearly 10 yrs it’s still in great condition.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I don’t know if your sorted yet but somebody on Hymer Facebook group was bring a 2006 B584 back from France and going to self due to a bereavement.

OP
OP
DorsetDrifter
Aug 10, 2014
Dorset by the sea
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584 Classic
Exp
Since 2016
I don’t know if your sorted yet but somebody on Hymer Facebook group was bring a 2006 B584 back from France and going to self due to a bereavement.
Thanks for that and thanks to everyone who has passed on their experiences and advice. Today I have agreed to buy a Hymer 584 Classic. So all being well, this time next week I'll be a Hymer owner! My adventure moves forward...

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hymer 584 Classic now parked on my drive, very happy new owner :giggle:
Just seen this, I'm sure you will get a lot of pleasure from it.
No Panic and no big deal, check the cross member under the radiator lots of older. Hymer have these go. We got one from a breakers yard delivered to the door about 4 years ago and Eddie fitted it. Also check your radiator I think that's all the maintance we have needed to do, look on the history when the cam belt was changed but thats just normal maintenance.
You are always welcome to pm us if you need any information.
Enjoy your van and maybe when all the current madness is over we may see you on the road somewhere.

Dec 22, 2018
Tasmania, Australia (northern summer in Europe)
Funster No
MH
Hymer Classic B584
Exp
Since 2019
Hi. Old thread, but thought I'd put my 2p worth in. I bought a 2002 B584 Classic early 2019 with the intention to come over every year for a few months (to avoid our winter). That worked out great (Grrrr). Got a trip in that year, but not since. Just about to come back over (May 2022).

Classic - A bit smaller at 5.85 metres vs 6.06 metres length. Not sure about width, but I reckon the Classic roof is lower too. Has a fibreglass front with the rectangular headlights and those awfully expensive infill panels between them and the indicators (everyone wants them). The roof has a flat sloping panel at the front. Maybe the interior fabrics are not as good (although I can't say I noticed). They do often have the anti dirt style patterns. They seem to wear quite well (someone gave me a tip to put socks on the front seat arms to stop them getting grubby).

Non-Classic - the more rounded front with small round headlights. The roof is more rounded on the sides and higher. Slightly posher interior, but nothing that matters. The kitchen drawers have rounded fronts. Being on the Alco chassis lifts the whole thing and there's more room under for lockers. You often see a big one on each side in the middle of the van (the Classic only has the one on the right). Both have the full width flat locker across the rear which isn't the easiest to make use of. You often see a ladder fixed to the rear and rails on the roof, so in theory you could carry/store some things on the roof.

The standard B584 layout is rear kitchen & bathroom with sofa (which makes a big single bed) on one side (usually the right) and belted seat with desk on the left (usually called a bar table). This has a short extension that pulls out over to the right side. A common modification is to cut & hinge the desk so it can fold down close to the left side when not used. That would be useful, particularly if there's more than one person. I can't say I found that 3rd seat much use, but it would allow driving with a 3rd person.

A variation is to have a shorter sofa instead of the desk & belted seat and a removable table. I think this would be a better option for a couple.

A few variations on the kitchen. Standard seems to be fridge with hob above just inside the rear habitation door on the rear wall, with a cupboard below bench forward of the door. A variation has an oven below the hob and fridge in the cupboard forward of the door. Some have a pole with drinks shelf above the cupboard.

Another variant of the kitchen has a full height cupboard just forward of the habitation door with the fridge in it. This gives more storage area, but encloses the kitchen (and whole interior) more and you lose that bench space. You also can't see the door from inside the van.

I think some more modern versions may have the fridge on the left side of the vehicle where older ones have a wardrobe.

Bathrooms may be rear shower stall (with a screen between the rest of the bathroom) and toilet forward. Others seem to have toilet on the rear wall with shower just in the entry (in the main floor area of the bathroom).

What I like about the layout is that you have a fully made up bed, but it doesn't impinge on interior space when not in use. The price you pay for that is it's a little harder to get in and out of if your mobility is limited and the person sleeping next to the windscreen may find it a bit claustrophobic. They also have to climb over the other to get in and out. I love the full length sofa which you can sleep on if it's really hot (it may be a bit cooler not being so high up). It's great for relaxing with feet up. This is why I think the version with short sofa in place of the desk would be better for a couple - so both can sit feet up.

One of the biggest limitations is lack of outdoor locker space. You have to really think about how you store things. My Classic has the full width flat one at the rear. It only has a door on one side and is quite low and long so I store a ladder in it. You could store outdoor chairs, though you'd need to work out how to fish them out.

There's a big bucket type drawer on the right which is good for tools and mucky stuff (I believe the non-Classic models have one on the left too, due to the raised floor). Also access to the space under the sofa through a flap type opening. Then there's the gas bottle locker forward of this. If you installed an underslung gas tank you could free up this locker which would be very useful. I think it'd be worth paying the extra for it, rather than get a standard refillable bottle kit.

May 17, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer A584 96 reg
Thanks for that, the external lockers are certainly a requirement and the B584 I saw had plenty of those.
The external lockers may be plentiful but there's just one big locker to store stuff the other locker on that side holds my gas bottles ,other side thunderbox and air supply and electricity stuff but for two people it's plenty I had a new mattress made to measure by a mate in Newton abbot, still finding out how things work or don't sometimes the case , I looked at the VW Hymer left hooker wife said no and now have a 96 , A584, plenty of service history a must , we were lucky to get all that ,plus loads of extras, and new boiler , twin solar panels just loads good luck and take someone with you who's a bit clued up or mechanic

Dec 22, 2018
Tasmania, Australia (northern summer in Europe)
Funster No
MH
Hymer Classic B584
Exp
Since 2019
Just to add to this old thread for anyone looking in the future:
One other difference between the Classic version and the fancier one - the former has the sloping part on the front of the roof which may be slightly more aerodynamic, but reduces bed ceiling height for the person next to the windscreen possibly making it feel more claustrophobic. Something that may help this (and is really good for air and a view out) is a skylight at the chest/head level.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back