What about this for dealer "service ?" (1 Viewer)

adonisito

Free Member
Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
So I want a second gel battery for the Hymer. I go to my local Hymer dealer and am quoted nearly £400 for a Sonnescheim gel battery including fitting. I bite the bullet, pay the money a month ago and travel home. Last week in France I checked under the seat because of strange meter readings, what did I find ? A Numax lead acid instead of a gel battery. About £75 I reckon as against the £150 I was charged. I have the receipts from them and ill health/work means I cannot take it back over there again. Am I in my rights to insist they come to my drive and sort this out properly ?

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I think that would be highly unlikely I'm afraid, no harm in trying though!:xangry:

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
So your saying not only did they not fit what they said they would, but they charged you £250 to fit it:xeek: for that money they shoulda come to France to fit it in the first place:xwink: robbing bastards, no wonder they call them stealers:xangry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
That sounds terrible..and not wishing to doubt you ,but are you sure you are looking at the right battery??
Your saying they have stuck a lead acid battery in with your existing gell battery???
It just doesn't seem like the sort of thing a respectable business could afford to do...
Andy..

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Disgraceful. I am no expert, but if you already have a gel battery then your charger will be on the gel setting which is different to a normal battery?

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
adonisito

adonisito

Free Member
Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
That sounds terrible..and not wishing to doubt you ,but are you sure you are looking at the right battery??
Your saying they have stuck a lead acid battery in with your existing gell battery???
It just doesn't seem like the sort of thing a respectable business could afford to do...
Andy..
Yes, clearly a Numax DC battery under the seat. And yes, I know about the charging options on the Elecroblok which is why I am annoyed. There is even a red label which says "do not replace with lead acid battery!" BTW I paid £150 for the battery, I tried E bay but that was a reasonable price.
You paid £400 for a gel battery ? Then you don't check what has been installed until a month later. As the Irish would say 'catch yourself on man'
Yes, you might say that, but the batteries are under the front seats and difficult to inspect without removing the seats, the unit itself was not underpriced asfasik. Maybe I trust dealers too much.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Yes, you might say that, but the batteries are under the front seats and difficult to inspect without removing the seats, the unit itself was not underpriced asfasik. Maybe I trust dealers too much.
No not at all ! Just a little surprised that a gel battery would cost this much and not checked after being fitted. We all learn as we go along a guess. Mind you, if i was in your position I would be a tad more angry at the dealer who had clearly ripped me off.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I would speak to them.

I suspect the dealer will be as surprised as you were.

When we bought our first motor home and took it to a funster meet at the show in Newark.

The battery died after just a few hours. Buy another at the show and we will settle the bill was their response.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Its why another thread was started last week regarding dealers and are they worth it.. Another reason why so many opt to do work for themselves...

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
My guess is that you are referring to the Hymer agent just outside of the Chichester. They do have a good reputation and the couple of times I had contact with them they were very helpful, despite me not spending a penny with them. I suspect that they will be mortified, so I suggest you phone them and ask them to put it right.

Every company makes mistakes, after all we are dealing with fallible people. It is how they deal with those mistakes that separates the good from the bad.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I have another look at your post and note you refer to looking under the seat. Are you sure you are not looking at the engine battery? In my Hymer the second leisure battery was fitted next to the first one and both are to be found by opening an external locker.

Aug 11, 2016
ipswich
Funster No
MH
Not sure
Exp
1 year
As a bit of an aside, I was adamant to the guy in PC World that my old telly had not got an HDMI socket on it, so he asked me to bring it in so he could have a look ( bloody cheek). When I checked he was right. Sometimes the glaring obvious is not obvious. Take another cheeky little look and then create hell if you are right. Don't admit anything if you are wrong.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have another look at your post and note you refer to looking under the seat. Are you sure you are not looking at the engine battery? In my Hymer the second leisure battery was fitted next to the first one and both are to be found by opening an external locker.
I agree, there's no mention of where his other ones are as he should have three now somewhere.

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
On my Hymer when i had the extra leisure battery added i had to have an additional charger unit fitted to the electroblock this what bumped up the price, cost £500 altogether for AGM battery to match the one already fitted.
The plan is or was to change to Gel batteries when the time comes to renew but the starter battery is also AGM so may affect the charging if i swap the electroblock over to GEL/lead acid

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I do hope he hasn't gone off and left us in suspenders :xsmile:

OP
OP
adonisito

adonisito

Free Member
Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
I do hope he hasn't gone off and left us in suspenders :xsmile:
No I'm here, engine battery is in engine compartment, leisure batteries under the two front seats. Found receipt for Sonneschein 85ah Gel leisure battery, including fitting as they had to make up some sort of bracket and run cabling under the front somewhere, double checked they have stuck a NUMAX lead acid in there (They have). Also checked Elektroblok setting which is on gel. Written to them, they come back from holiday on the 4th Jan.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Might be a case of them accusing you of replacing the gel battery in the hope of face saving, or they have a bent employee who is ripping both you and his employer off. Hardly a genuine like for like error, me think's. Stand your ground and best of luck.

Dec 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
ih PVC
Exp
It may be to your advantage to take a few pictures of the battery as installed along with a picture of the reciept and forward them via email directly to the service manager. I would politely, but strongly request a return phone call from a senior manager within one hour of them reopening in the new year.
During your conversation with him/her you may wish to add that it is being discussed openly on this forum, it may aid with the managers focus on resolving your issue in a speedy manner.
Keep us all posted on the response from the company.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just bumping this, don't want it to get lost, very interesting to see the outcome.

emo

Free Member
Oct 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Bursner lyseo
Exp
Since2015
Yes please let us know the outcome we are waiting with baited breath :whistle:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I would still go for someone made a mistake, it's just to obvious to expect the customer not to notice.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
As a bit of an aside, I was adamant to the guy in PC World that my old telly had not got an HDMI socket on it, so he asked me to bring it in so he could have a look ( bloody cheek). When I checked he was right. Sometimes the glaring obvious is not obvious. Take another cheeky little look and then create hell if you are right. Don't admit anything if you are wrong.

As a complete aside, I bought my ex wife a stereo " stack" system some years ago.

The vinyls kept slipping so I went into Dixons to complain.

I recall the salesman asking whether I had placed the mat on the turntable when setting up.

I silently recalled setting the system up and reading the instructions.

When i came across a part marked " mat" I put it on the floor and stuck the whole stack on top of it.

I did wonder why it was small and round.:(:doh:

OP
OP
adonisito

adonisito

Free Member
Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
Right, dealer phoned, most apologetic, could I bring van in at my convenience to have battery replaced while I wait. I've done that and am now pleased. Still a bit irritated that they could make such a basic error , I suppose we all learn through mistakes though. I'll use them again.
To be honest there is little choice around here.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back