Free Member
Mar 19, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
Im anewbie
How the hell can whales get away with stopping moter homes from parking from 11pm till 8 am when we pay road tax yet cars can park .
And what if you need to stop and have a sleep after a long drive it's horrendous

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You mean they're coming out of the sea to accost you on a night???? :eek:

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
IMG_2566.GIF

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Where abouts are you in the principality??? Might be able to help wildcamp spots

OP
OP
Storm123

Storm123

Free Member
Mar 19, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
Im anewbie
Wales as in general ... llandudno a month ago and we went to Rhyl last night and there putting up the signs in 3 weeks time I don't see how they can get away with it

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Wales as in general ... llandudno a month ago and we went to Rhyl last night and there putting up the signs in 3 weeks time I don't see how they can get away with it
Hi.
You only have to look at a post on the increase in numbers of M/homes. Once upon a time,c/vans could park within reason anywhere,then, when numbers increased to a level,where they caused annoyance,they were confined to..."Sites".
Come 2017.......... It was only a matter of time,as i see it (Thanks to Specsavers). This time is upon us,the m/home is not welcome in sleepy villages/beach front parks at seaside towns. On the plus side,it is nearly as cheap to hire a static c/van at the resort of your choice..."Freedom of movement" you ask........."Move along sir/madam,its 2017,freedom?":ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. If you are not an Old F**t,blame your parents for delaying your birth,if you ARE an Old F**t,like me,its YOUR fault,you should have done it sooner...Oh and Motorhomed as well (y)
Tea Bag

Deleted User
. Once upon a time,c/vans could park within reason anywhere,then, when numbers increased to a level,where they caused annoyance,they were confined to..."Sites".

I watched a recorded programme recently, no idea when I recorded it, about caravanning and the early days and it was exactly as you say, they where the original 'wild campers' apart from proper campers in tents of course:)

So the much derided 'tuggers' were the forebears of you lot that that describe yourself as 'wild campers':D and the authorities are catching up with you:D

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Wales is not the only place. We went into one Spanish town and there were numerous signs banning MH parking from 22.00 until 08.00 anywhere in the town and surrounding areas.

The Local Councils really don't get it. Providing a small number of MH parking places where you can stay for up to 48 hours could increase revenue in the area. When we go away we look for MH friendly stops and spend money in local restaurants and coffee shops.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Because too many people take the piss. A town might allow 48 hours parking on their seafront and they're guaranteed to get some tosser thinking it doesn't apply to them and they can stay for 3 months.

As @pappajohn says any town is free to pass specific by laws. It's far easier and cheaper for an LA to ban all overnighting completely than it is to take on the idiots on a one at a time basis.

They only tend to do it when their hospitality is abused so make of that what you will.

OP
OP
Storm123

Storm123

Free Member
Mar 19, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
Im anewbie
We went tp Rhyl on Friday went for an Italian meal and spend 60 ponds don't they realise we spend money that is helping them

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
It really is not surprising. As @Teabag says there has been a massive increase in motor home /camper van ownership in UK, much more than in other European countries - 26% last year? Perhaps it's linked to freeing up pension access, and people are spending their lump sums on vans. Who knows, but one thing's for certain, there are a lot more of us about! And residents of places we like to visit are getting fed up of their space being filled with vans. Add to that the problems with travellers, and it's not surprise that councils are taken punitive action. Even Scotland is starting to limit parking, where previously it was generously. And no, we don't have a right to park anywhere. I am always amazed that people should think we do.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Rhyl and you spent £60 in a restaurant, Jeeze you were ripped off. The place is a dump, I worked there a long time ago and then it was full of junkies mostly from over the border and other scalliwags.

@NickNic said, its all about bottom feeding, lowlife freeloaders. The "i spent money in the locality" may not hold water.they would get more if they stayed ar a campsite at least you can measure that.
When I lived in North Wales, the problem of second homes etc came up, the visitors would bring ALL their own food, nothing was brought locally. Start buying al the houses and do the same, the towns and villages die.

I had a friend who did a lot of scuba diving, he and his mates would come to Anglesey just to cash in on the scallop season, by his own admission they would clean up the sea bed . They brought their own food, slept in a van, took their scallop away to be sold. Zippo added to the local community.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Here's an example from round the coast in Aberystwyth.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/campervans-motorhomes-face-tighter-parking-7034514

And the result

There are many others from all over the country but the theme is always the same. Parking is available somewhere, a minority decide they have some sort of divine right to abuse it, then end result is that they ruin it for everyone when the LA take the only action that's really open to them and remove the facility for everyone.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
@Storm123

You will also find similar restrictions in North Yorkshire, Lincolnshire and many other places, usually the more popular tourist destinations.

The reason is the same in each case: Overnight parking has been available in these places but was abused by the minority who think they have some sort of god given right to park wherever they like for as long as they like resulting in it being withdrawn.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
We went tp Rhyl on Friday went for an Italian meal and spend 60 ponds don't they realise we spend money that is helping them
They generate three times that in one hour from parking fines! But' what's the attraction in Rhyl? I can't think of any?

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
They generate three times that in one hour from parking fines! But' what's the attraction in Rhyl? I can't think of any?
And to be fair, the prom at Llandudno is a bottleneck. But I take your point they could provide an overnight stop somewhere, but , they then would loose revenue by restricting building development

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

That £60 would have got you the ferry to France where you are welcome to stay at towns and villages for most part absolutely FREE with water for your tanks and facilities to dump and sometimes free electricity..... why anyone wants to get ripped off is beyond me....

One of the reasons I bought a left handed European Motorhome to go where I'm appreciated..(y):france:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
In Powys you can park overnight for one night in any public car park. I think most are free after 8p.m.
Includes the centre of Hay on Wye, almost alongside the canal in Brecon and close to the centre of Hereford.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
That £60 would have got you the ferry to France where you are welcome to stay at towns and villages for most part absolutely FREE with water for your tanks and facilities to dump and sometimes free electricity..... why anyone wants to get ripped off is beyond me....

One of the reasons I bought a left handed European Motorhome to go where I'm appreciated..(y):france:

One big difference is that you will find if you give them any cause to do so the police or the Gendarmes depending on where you are will have no hesitation in moving you on immediately. There will be no discussion and you won't be given any choice in the matter. I've seen them kick people off of aires and they don't mess about.

Unfortunately the authorities here don't have similar powers when people take the piss. See my previous post with the link to to the situation in Aberystwyth.

I think there's a different mentality as well. The French and other Europeans in the main wouldn't dream of parking up by the side of the road and staying there for weeks on end.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
In Powys you can park overnight for one night in any public car park. I think most are free after 8p.m.
Includes the centre of Hay on Wye, almost alongside the canal in Brecon and close to the centre of Hereford.

Places that are more inland don't tend to be abused in the same way. It's usually seaside towns that are plagued by freeloaders and feel the need to take action.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Thats easy to answer, cheap run down flats, ex hotels, suitable for the dregs from Merseyside, its the Jaywick

Rhyl mum-of-five hits back after benefits TV show made her 'look bad'
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/rhyl-mum-five-hits-back-13196767

The site iLiveHere UK describes it as the place where “all come wide-eyed at the prospect of getting a DSS bedsit on the prom.”

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I avoid Wales. Rather be the other side of the channel.

We have friends and neighbours who go to their statics in north Wales. The M56 is a long queue on a Friday night, people escaping to the coast.

Yes people take the piss, as suggested. I have seen it in Annecy where the 48 hour Aire rule is abused.

But whilst the Wales weekenders and holidays are so popular. The locals and authorities can be as unwelcoming as they like. As many others, for the moment are happy to spend their money their.

Plenty of Scottish and continental trips planned for us.

TM

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
Thats easy to answer, cheap run down flats, ex hotels, suitable for the dregs from Merseyside, its the Jaywick

Rhyl mum-of-five hits back after benefits TV show made her 'look bad'
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/rhyl-mum-five-hits-back-13196767

The site iLiveHere UK describes it as the place where “all come wide-eyed at the prospect of getting a DSS bedsit on the prom.”

That's the true reality I'm afraid. And not only subjected to the one town either. Seems most of the coastline has been affected from Old Colwyn eastwards !

Did not see that programme, but your link says it all I'm afraid :notworthy:

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp

We have friends and neighbours who go to their statics in north Wales. The M56 is a long queue on a Friday night, people escaping to the coast.

Yes people take the piss, as suggested. I have seen it in Annecy where the 48 hour Aire rule is abused.

But whilst the Wales weekenders and holidays are so popular. The locals and authorities can be as unwelcoming as they like. As many others, for the moment are happy to spend their money their.

TM
Unwelcoming? Very strongly worded is it not? :(

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007

TM
Let me guess, they all speak Welsh when you walk into a pub?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back