Weight Burstner 1994 Fiat Ducato (1 Viewer)

Newbie Motorhomer

Free Member
May 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Exp
I’m a newbie
Hi All,

Looking at buying a (very) cheap motorhome as a first go at owning my own having hired before and really enjoyed it.

Cash isn’t free flowing by any means so I’m just after a very cheap starter motorhome to go out and play with and see how I go. If I get on O.K., I’ll upgrade to something newer and nicer!

First one I’m looking at is a 1994 L Reg Fiat Ducato based Burstner coachbuilt motorhome. This is a 6 berth rear kitchen with the alcove overcab bed. Need something this size so the family can come too and am comfortable with the size having driven a brand new bigger version last year.

Interested to know what the weight of these are as I only have a B licence so have to make sure it’s less than 3.5T. Anyone out there have one or similar who could let me know the Max weight that would be great.

Thanks

Adrian

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
The current weight will ultimately depend on what has been fitted to that particular MH.
The only way to know is to weigh it, it’s not unreasonable to ask a seller to show you a weighbridge certificate and tell you how it was loaded with fuel, water etc at the time of weighing.
Then you will have to work out if you, your family and all the “stuff” you need can get in under the 3500kg. I suspect it will be tight as 2 of us travelling in a 2 berth van with no added on racks or bikes comes in at 3400kg.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

Newbie Motorhomer

Free Member
May 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Exp
I’m a newbie
Thanks for the reply. This is as I was expecting, I’ve a feeling it will be pretty tight. That’s a great idea re the weighbridge certificate, I’ll ask them to provide so I can check it out.

Adrian

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

Newbie Motorhomer

Free Member
May 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Exp
I’m a newbie
@mitzimad I hired a Dethleffs Sunlight A72 on an 18 plate. That was a 6 berth with something like 500kg payload to take it to 3.5T and they hires it to me on a B licence. Unfortunately those are the best part of 50k to buy so a bit out of range. Not impossible though.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Adrian, welcome to the fun house.

Can I suggest you subscribe to the forum (£15 a year) as this will allow you to download the 'Buyer's Guide' and 'Security Guide' FOC (usually £7.99 each to non-subscribers), you'll also get discounts off stuff too and be able to look at other parts of the forum only available to 'full' members. Otherwise you'll be limited to 5 posts before you are 'cut off' (although you'll still be able to read stuff but can't post anymore).

As you are new to all of this reading the Buyer's Guide could easily save you thousands, not to mention funsters steering you in the right direction regarding any MH you are interested in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
500kg is not a lot of payload for 4 people. Don’t forget you need fuel, gas, bedding, clothing, water and food + the weight of passengers. It all ads up. I would suspect the one you hired was over the 3500kg limit by the time you set off.

The other problem you may have is parts for a 25 year old vehicle. Would also check you can get breakdown cover for where you want to travel.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
You should be able to get the registerrd maximum weight from looking at the plate on the motorhome or looking on its V5 document. If it is over 3500kg you can't drive it, no matter what weight it actually is.

But that is only half the story. You also need to know what the actual weight is when empty, so you also need to get it weighed Once you know that you will know the amount you can legally carry. And I agree with others who say you will really need 500kg at least for a family of 4.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
@mitzimad I hired a Dethleffs Sunlight A72 on an 18 plate. That was a 6 berth with something like 500kg payload to take it to 3.5T and they hires it to me on a B licence. Unfortunately those are the best part of 50k to buy so a bit out of range. Not impossible though.
did you weigh it fully loaded?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

MHdreaming

Free Member
May 19, 2014
SouthEast UK
Funster No
A motorhome large enough to be a six berth with a 500kg payload?

That must surely be 500kg without any people on board?

2 Adults at 75kg each so 150kg + couple of kids another 60kg?

So total would be 210kg take that away from your 500kg payload it’s not looking good

Think you need a weight bridge ticket then start weighing all the stuff you need to take+ passengers

Personally I always think caravans work better for families

Upvote 0

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
There are ways around this problem if you box clever.

We own an elderly 1995 Swift Kon-tiki 6 berth which is under 3500kg laden & also has 612kgs payload.
Yes I had to read that twice, then check the motorhomes own user manual.
I have C1 anyway & we're possibly going to be looking for a newer (or brand new) moho soon.
We didn't pay very much for this vehicle & its bone dry!

https://www.gocaravanning.com/motorhome-specifications/model/swift-kontiki-640_1057.html

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back