We’ve missed our Motorhome-from-home (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
People often ask why we (motorhomers in general I guess) love our mohos but I never gave it a lot of thought till last week. Sadly we had to cancel Norden Farm because John has a frozen shoulder and can’t change gear in the motorhome . So we decided on 4 days b&b /hotels in Northumberland as our car is automatic and I can drive that too.

So cost is high up there in reasons but not really the most important - we spent around £600 on b£b and meals plus snacks drinks etc. but Motorhome-from-home is the answer ! A hotel isn’t home. You soon get fed up of mediocre pub nosh. When you go out for the day you’re out! You don’t/cant pop back for a cuppa . Can’t get the beers out of the fridge. Can’t get your comfy chairs out and snooze by the van under your awning . Forgot sun cream , crisps, rucksack etc etc ?? - get it out of the van - oops it’s at home . So we missed our motorhome-from-home and so sorry we couldn’t make Norden Farm
Thanks to Wombles for all your planning.
So sorry we missed your event
Wombles

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I do feel for him , I had that 2 years ago. The pain was horrendous. Worse than gallstones or childbirth. I ended up paying for a private shoulder distension procedure.

Mind you mine did get very bad very quickly and may well have been aggravated by giving Covid jabs. Often we’d each be giving 150 or more a day!

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
People often ask why we (motorhomers in general I guess) love our mohos but I never gave it a lot of thought till last week. Sadly we had to cancel Norden Farm because John has a frozen shoulder and can’t change gear in the motorhome . So we decided on 4 days b&b /hotels in Northumberland as our car is automatic and I can drive that too.

So cost is high up there in reasons but not really the most important - we spent around £600 on b£b and meals plus snacks drinks etc. but Motorhome-from-home is the answer ! A hotel isn’t home. You soon get fed up of mediocre pub nosh. When you go out for the day you’re out! You don’t/cant pop back for a cuppa . Can’t get the beers out of the fridge. Can’t get your comfy chairs out and snooze by the van under your awning . Forgot sun cream , crisps, rucksack etc etc ?? - get it out of the van - oops it’s at home . So we missed our motorhome-from-home and so sorry we couldn’t make Norden Farm
Thanks to Wombles for all your planning.
So sorry we missed your event
Wombles
Sorry for your problem, hope its soon resolved.
Completely agree that hotels/B&Bs etc soon get tiresome, everytime you want to eat you have to plan it then wait for someone to bring their assessment of what you're looking for and the packing:unsure: even worse if you're flying somewhere.

Motorhome wins 99% of time for us.
Jon and Sue

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Sold
Motorhome-from-home is the answer ! A hotel isn’t home.
with you all the way...

we had a holiday in Tenerife last December , nice hotel, pool , etc .. but by the third or forth day the novelty had worn off ... not to mention the four hours flying in a cattle car.... hotels and package holidays are not for us either.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
There is nothing like a motorhome, you know how clean and comfy the beds are going to be, you know how clean the toilet facilities are, you have a vehicle to tour in, stop for a break in, have a snack and coffee, etc; without queuing and paying over the odds.

We tour Spain and Portugal, frequently, and the places we have seen, and experienced, would never have been had on any package holiday.

And the saying, "it's only a two hour flight from England" doesn't mention the two plus hours before the flight, if it's on time, and the hour plus at the other end. And the maximum weight you are allowed to take with you.

I love flying, but, not the crap that goes with it.

A motorhome for me every time, and I can take more than 15kg.

Craig

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Same here, we're in Zante until Monday, miss the van. Eating out is very expensive now. Why we booked it I don't know, at least we have fridge (compressor fridge 🙏🫶😆) and a hob so Aneta has been cooking.
We've just been talking about our planned Benidorm trip for August, can't wait ❤️

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
In general I agree with the OP, especially the convenience of having everything with you - we duplicate everything we need in the MH so packing is minimal and holiday starts the moment we leave the drive.

However this last Christmas we wanted to go away. I baulked at the 5-hour flight to Canaries and back, so I suggested Malta(2-hours from local airport). I had been to Malta before and been put up at the genuine 5-star Phoenicia, so I booked that and we had a splendid time, well pampered and it was warm enough for exploring Valetta which kept us busy for 4 days without bothering to hire a car. The breakfast had a huge assortment, hot and cold, so we feasted, skipped lunch, except the wine course, and found two nice local restaurants within easy walk.

We are off in MH to France and Germany at end of month and then to Italy and Greece at end August so we will not be short of weeks away in our home-from-home.

We both agreed that if one is going to a hotel it should be at that level, as it is real luxury and so comfortable.

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Not practical to spend 6 weeks in hotels . Also agree that I am reminded how much I hate the airport experience every time I’m forced to fly . Currently feet up in northern Italy after a first class lunch listening to vernon kaye . Costing 25 hero’s a night and probably a meal of two out of feeling lazy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Sorry for your problem, hope its soon resolved.
Completely agree that hotels/B&Bs etc soon get tiresome, everytime you want to eat you have to plan it then wait for someone to bring their assessment of what you're looking for and the packing:unsure: even worse if you're flying somewhere.

Motorhome wins 99% of time for us.
Jon and Sue
One reason we like cruising as it's pamper at it's best plus I don't have the additional worry / hassle of checking unknown eating establishments for gluten free food.

I really do miss our motorhome but as I can no longer drive the lack of our home on wheels is something I have to get used to.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Personally we do both as there are many holidays we like to do that are not possible in the motorhome (more long haul trips for example) and I do like a posh hotel sometimes.

However, what I do love about the motorhome is the packing. I just love chucking everything just in case and then it's done for 2 weeks, 2 months or whatever.

As I write we are in a hotel based walking holiday in Portugal. The packing is a nightmare. We went easyJet so lots of weight restriction and are in our 5th hotel of the trip. Hate the packing!

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Personally we do both as there are many holidays we like to do that are not possible in the motorhome (more long haul trips for example) and I do like a posh hotel sometimes.

However, what I do love about the motorhome is the packing. I just love chucking everything just in case and then it's done for 2 weeks, 2 months or whatever.

As I write we are in a hotel based walking holiday in Portugal. The packing is a nightmare. We went easyJet so lots of weight restriction and are in our 5th hotel of the trip. Hate the packing!
We’re like you and like a variety. We find city breaks are fun and we’ll stay in a nice hotel. Like you long haul is great and we’ve even done a few cruises. The cruises were last minute things when we wanted a bit of winter sun but didn’t have enough days to drive far to South of Spain.

Motorhoming is still our absolute favourite, as soon as we’re in the seats and drive the van off the drive we’re on holiday.

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Picked up by private transfer,taken to airport 1hr 45....great quick comfortable....dropped outside departures Spent 2hrs at airport walking most of the time walking one side of a wall through a security check then to the other end of the building on the other side of the wall and repeat 3 security check later in 30 C with the rest of the great unwashed and a new game to play ...enter the taped endless maze, after a few of these headed on to the cattle truck taken to the orange cattle transporter with wings but had seats now brief :giggle:...then realise the design brief for flying transport machine ...wedge as many in as possible,make seating as uncomfortable as possible so no way can they be comfortable or relax so out of boredom every time they are offered something to relive the boredom/discomfort they will buy it ( no matter how expensive) finally land first we see TOILETS CLOSED..Next 2 escalators Out of service! Welcome to broken Britain.Finally in the car down a few miles of potholed roads Bingo M1 few miles road works down to 1 lane then road closed badly signed diversion eventually dual carriageway for a few miles road closed Road closed 1 hour later back on A1 rest of trip home un eventfull (apart from fog). 3 1/4 hrs to do about the Sam distance in UK as 1 3/4 hrs Turkey.
Never Ever again will we go anywhere near an airport Life is too short ( and I'm too much of a grumpy old man ...or remember when we were treated like people not a revenue source .)
Should add we used to do package type holidays once /twice a year but a few years ago decided they were too much hassle with kids , so this was a toe back in the water...well the water is full of 🐊 and leaches!
Regards VICTOR M.

Sep 28, 2019
Newbury, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Pamplona
Exp
Since 2018
Sorry that you couldn’t make the Norden Farm meet, hopefully you will make it next year. We too love the ‘home from home’ aspect of a motorhome or in our case now, a caravan. I get told that it’s not a holiday as you are catering for yourself but in our view, it’s as easy or as hard as you want to make it. Loved all inclusive holidays in the past as we needed to chill out but now we are retired they don’t hold the same appeal.

Jan 24, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Sold 😟
Exp
1990-2023
I do feel for him , I had that 2 years ago. The pain was horrendous. Worse than gallstones or childbirth. I ended up paying for a private shoulder distension procedure.

Mind you mine did get very bad very quickly and may well have been aggravated by giving Covid jabs. Often we’d each be giving 150 or more a day!
We are away 18 months after selling ours. We opted for a month airbnb (recommended by daughter). But it’s a nice large apartment but it’s NOT home for reasons you say. The sharp knives aren’t (bought two and will take them home). Setter nice enough looked to be comfortable online but it isn’t!! Could go on but definitely it’s not our home on wheels. Not sure we will do this again.

Apart from that the weather has been better at home in Cornwall than here by several Degrees!!

Carol

Missing our old home. Be careful what you wish for

May 2, 2022
Preston, UK
Funster No
MH
Boxer 2017
Exp
Since 2021, this time
Campervan, self-catering in Greece or backpacking in Asia or south America for us. Not much packing when you are hand-luggage backpacking!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We had a week in Sitges Spain in March after the first few days it got a bit boring.
Being Catalonia eating out was quite expensive compared to other areas of Spain.
Used to moving on every day or two in the Motorhome much more enjoyable.

Don't mind a city break for a few days but a week in one place is too long for us.

Hate getting dragged out to Thailand to visit daughter.

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
I’m currently in Chattanooga, Tennesse, mid-way through a two week house exchange. We’ve already had two weeks in Washington DC and will move on to Memphis, New Orleans and Chicago. Six weeks in total. The owners of our house exchange in the mountains outside Chattanooga are camping in their huge 34’ RV. I was so envious of them until they told me it does 8 miles to the gallon.
It’s almost impossible to take our motorhome out of New Zealand, so house and car exchanges have helped us to get affordable holidays overseas. No hotel bills, no car rental, we don’t have to eat out every day and if we don’t feel like going out we just stay at “home”.
In ten years and about 26 exchanges we haven’t had a bad one, and we’ve made some friends along the way.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I’m currently in Chattanooga, Tennesse, mid-way through a two week house exchange. We’ve already had two weeks in Washington DC and will move on to Memphis, New Orleans and Chicago. Six weeks in total. The owners of our house exchange in the mountains outside Chattanooga are camping in their huge 34’ RV. I was so envious of them until they told me it does 8 miles to the gallon.
It’s almost impossible to take our motorhome out of New Zealand, so house and car exchanges have helped us to get affordable holidays overseas. No hotel bills, no car rental, we don’t have to eat out every day and if we don’t feel like going out we just stay at “home”.
In ten years and about 26 exchanges we haven’t had a bad one, and we’ve made some friends along the way.

Remember that although a US gallon is also 8 pints, like an Imperial Gallon, each pint is only 16 fluid ounces instead of 20 fluid ounces.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back