water pouring out of fridge while travelling ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Help for the Beginner' started by Paul J, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Paul J

Paul J Funster

Ratings:
    +95
    so, before my recent trip, I ran the fridge on electric until we were ready to set off, it then (automatically) ran on 12v while we were travelling, and it was on gas for around 12 hours while we were on site, I then turned the gas off as we set off, confirmed that the 12v operation was on, we drove for an hour to the Trafford centre and parked up while the girlfriend bought some shoes, maybe 40 minutes stationaty, and during this time I had forgot to turn the gas on, so there was no power to the fridge. We returned to the van and set off for home, stopping after another 45 minutes to find water running out of the fridge, into the unit below it, and all over the floor.
    Inspecting the fridge, the large metal element was covered in water, likely it was frosty/frozen and then thawed, it was also wet in the front top, the sort of roof of the fridge closest to the door, and water had dropped into the little 'gutter' which has a little hole for draining, it seemed not terribly successful at draining this water, either that or it had possibly thawed and somehow remained there, perhaps we weren't parked level, and then poured out when we moved ?
    I'm going to presume there's probably nothing wrong with it, wouldn't have expected it to have thawed in 45 minutes while the fridge was closed, but must be the way they are, next time perhaps I'll put a pot towel underneath the big salad box in the bottom of the fridge, I guess that will catch any water before it runs out.
    does anyone have any tips on if they've had a similar experience ?

(next time I go out, I'll be sure to do a few checks on the thermometer to check that the 12v operation is actually working, clearly if it's not, we'll have persistent thawing out problems)

2. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +15,663
    Make sure that the drain hole is clear from the little gutter area at the back, it should then run out and into a little dish that sits over the warm evaporator pipe at the back of the fridge.

Martin

• Like it Like it x 1
  3. Paul J

Paul J Funster

Ratings:
    +95
    Thanks Martin, I'm guessing that the evaporator pipe is out of sight behind the fridge ? you're just saying that's how they get rid of the water, It doesn't drain out the bottom onto the ground ?

4. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +18,339
    If you can take the ottom vent cover off (1/4 turn of plastic screw) you will see the drain cup .doesn't need any maintainance

5. Polar bear

Polar bear Funster

Ratings:
    +322
    Check your door seals as you should be able to leave fridge without power for several hours as long as door is shut properly

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Love it Love it x 1
  6. Duck Truck

Duck Truck Funster

Ratings:
    +1,872
    Did you by chance!!!!
    Happen to have a bucket of water in your fridge? :Grin:

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +15,663
    Correct but if you knew it wasn't draining and couldn't clear it it would be worth checking the pipe for a kink.

Martin

8. Paul J

Paul J Funster

Ratings:
    +95
    there was no bucket of water in the fridge, just the huge bucket shaped ice cube that I made :) you can never have too much ice

9. Paul J

Paul J Funster

Ratings:
    +95
    I'll test that little gutter by carefully pouring some water in it perhaps

10. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

Ratings:
    +8,290
    i would suspect door seals as well as there shouldnt be a big build up of ice inside

11. jezport

jezport Funster

Ratings:
    +3,201
    Check the door is closing and sealing properly

12. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +30,194
    I don't believe that story for one minute (n) ... no way did the girlfriend only take 45 minutes to buy some shoes :D... more like 4.5 hours! :LOL:

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Love it Love it x 1
  13. Larby

Larby Funster

Ratings:
    +8,495
    Door seal was my first thought. We can travel miles without fridge becoming warm.

14. Clarky

Clarky Funster

Ratings:
    +6,813
    The defrost water from the evaporator runs down the channel at the back and drains down the tube. On some fridges it runs straight out under the van on others goes into a small plastic dish and evaporates in the warmth from the heater.
    If the drain tube gets blocked it will overflow into the bottom of the fridge.
    Try something like a pipe cleaner down the drain tube to clear any grot.

Also, check that the door seals are tight. Close the door onto a strip of paper, then slowly pull the paper out to check for resistance. Try this in several places and it will highlight any gaps in the seal. It should grip the paper firmly.

Richard.

15. Richard and Ann

Richard and Ann Funster

Ratings:
    +6,004
    Some of the water from our freezer doesn't even get to the drain gully, it comes out the side of the freezer and goes straight into the bottom of the fridge under the salad tray. Only happens when defrosting so I'm ready to mop it up. I doubt if the door seal is watertight so eventually it would come out with the door shut.

16. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +25,550
    My thoughts too.:ROFLMAO:

17. Pausim

Pausim Funster

Ratings:
    +1,344
    F182B31A-F2F0-4D5C-8749-3A9BB2178463.jpeg I find the evaporator cup is only ok whilst the fridge is running, it can overflow when the fridge is off. I have had it run out over the floor from below the fridge. Not surprising since there is no longer any heat to help the evaporation. When packing up I open the lower external vent and suck the cup dry with a small syringe and pipe (pooter). This seems to overcome the problem.

18. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Ratings:
    +6,308
    I do the same but lacking a syringe I just use a paper towel to soak it up. The actual amount of water is quite small.

19. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +30,194
    ... wouldn't it be easier to simply put a small drain from the evaporator cup to the outside either via a floor drop vent or through the wall vent? Couldn't be doing with faffing around with syringes and taking off the panel all the time.

20. Pausim

Pausim Funster

Ratings:
    +1,344
    I might have done that but changing mh soon.