Water heater when travelling (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The thing I would be most concerned about is when to dump the heaters water and the Truma automated dump valve is probably a good guide at 4 degrees. It’s easy to forget to clear a system.
The Truma automatic valve is usually inside the motorhome so will be higher than the boiler tank. Difficult to see how it will drain the boiler when open. If the valve is on the outside as well that will severely limit when you can use the motorhome. Nighttime outside temperatures often fall below 4 degrees even in spring and autumn.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
The Truma automatic valve is usually in the motorhome so will be higher than the boiler tank. Difficult to see how it will drain the boiler when open. If the valve is on the outside as well that will severely limit when you can use the motorhome. Nighttime outside temperatures often fall below 4 degrees even in spring and autumn.
Interesting, our Truma and dump valve are in the insulated winterised van, but I get your point of where to fit it. So if the temp is going to fall below 4 degrees just empty the heater ! That has to be better than having damage

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Interesting, our Truma and dump valve are in the insulated winterised van, but I get your point of where to fit it. So if the temp is going to fall below 4 degrees just empty the heater ! That has to be better than having damage
Not sure I understand. In your case if the motorhome is winterised then the heater can be set to keep the inside over 4 degrees.

The OP's van has the boiler outside, which is something I have never heard of before. So not the same as yours or mine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Are the OP's fresh waster tank(s) inside the van? If so, would draining the hot water heater also drain the whole fresh water tank just through gravity?
No, the water tanks are external but with frost protection, ie heater elements.

I don’t know exactly what is required at the moment but, when we take delivery of the m/h tomorrow, it is the first thing I want to be explained fully.

Will report back when I know exactly what is meant by the paragraph.

Last edited:
Reactions: BwB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
No, the water tanks are external but with frost protection, ie heater elements.
Unless they are fully insulated not much point.
Although our tanks are underslung they are in fully insulated enclosures which are heated by the blow air heating system.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Unless they are fully insulated not much point.
Although our tanks are underslung they are in fully insulated enclosures which are heated by the blow air heating system.
My present motorhome has external tanks with heater elements and I have never had a problem, even in temps as low as -12C. Why do you think there is “not much point”?

I don’t have any details as to whether or not the water heater is insulated as I had not read the “offending” paragraph at the time.

FYI the water heater is a Whale product, designed to be fitted externally in order to free up interior locker space. More than that I don’t know at present, but will be there examining closely tomorrow.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My present motorhome has external tanks with heater elements and I have never had a problem, even in temps as low as -12C. Why do you think there is “not much point”?
Because unless you are on an EHU the heaters draw too much power, even worse if the tanks are uninsulated.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Because unless you are on an EHU the heaters draw too much power, even worse if the tanks are uninsulated.
I agree little point if no EHU but, as we tend to use EHU in very cold weather, there certainly is a point in our case.

Insulation alone is not sufficient as the water in an external tank will eventually reach ambient temperature, whatever that is. Onboard tanks avoid this but we don’t all have them.

None of the above answers the question of how the water heater, externally mounted, will fare, however. Watch this space!

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
FYI the water heater is a Whale product, designed to be fitted externally in order to free up interior locker space. More than that I don’t know at present, but will be there examining closely tomorrow.
Is it just a water heater or does it also heat the motorhome like the more common Truma and Alde heaters?

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
It could be real pain unless

A. The heater drain is in an easily accessible position
B. It only drains the heater, not the whole water system

Anything else seems utterly stupid.

I will check the situation very carefully tomorrow.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
It definitely states it must be drained before travel ... totally bonkers!
If it has to be, as per the instructions, it begs the question of whether it is “fit for purpose”.

Looking at the instruction leaflet it could be that the drain valve is not even easily accessible!

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If it has to be, as per the instructions, it begs the question of whether it is “fit for purpose”.

Looking at the instruction leaflet it could be that the drain valve is not even easily accessible!
The strange thing is that they say it has to be drained before travel even if it is the model that is inside the motorhome, so nothing directly to do with being outside the vehicle. Never seen that before with an internal water heater.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Not sure I understand. In your case if the motorhome is winterised then the heater can be set to keep the inside over 4 degrees.

The OP's van has the boiler outside, which is something I have never heard of before. So not the same as yours or mine.
That’s the problem with text, I think we are saying the same thing here for frost protection it’s the same if it’s going to be 4 degrees or less and the heating is off dump the water in the heater.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
That’s the problem with text, I think we are saying the same thing here for frost protection it’s the same if it’s going to be 4 degrees or less and the heating is off dump the water in the heater.
No that is separate. At page 22 they say
"The Water Heater must be drained before travelling or if it is not being used for a period of more than 3 days, or if there is a danger of freezing (unless Frost Protection setting is active). "

That means even if you are travelling in the middle of summer in the Spain, or not using it for more than 3 days in the summer in the UK. I can understand the danger of freezing bit but the other two seem daft.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Update!

We visited the dealer today and discussed our thoughts and concerns. The following information can now be passed on......

The water heater is, indeed, underslung. It is sited between the chassis rails, under the floor, in order to free up space in lockers that would otherwise have been necessary.

The casing of the heater is heavily covered in insulation, and boxed, to mitigate heat loss to atmosphere.

Despite this, it would appear that Whale may be paranoid that on long winter journeys, in freezing weather, the heater matrix may freeze if water is left in the heater by an owner who doesn’t drain it down. Their answer appears to be to “require” users to drain down on all journeys, so keeping it fresh in their minds.

The drain tap is easily accessible in a cupboard, at floor level. (Just as well)!

Only the heater is drained down, not the entire fresh water system ie some 8 litres.

It appears that many owners haven’t read the relevant paragraph, haven’t drained down, and haven’t had any problem. (I suppose what they didn’t know didn’t hurt them).;)

It appears to be another case of progress in one direction creating a new problem .

Having examined the set up carefully I have accepted the situation. A certain amount of “faffing around” is required but I can live with that.

If the requirement had been to drain the whole system, or the drain valve had been in an inaccessible place I would have considered rejecting the vehicle.

However, on the whole I am well satisfied with the motorhome. A thorough hand over allayed my fears sufficiently to now look forward to life with our latest “toy”.

Only two problems arose on hand over, a wall board seam cover was twisted. This was replaced as we checked over the vehicle. At the PDI the dealer had found that the rear view camera was faulty. With apologies they explained that a replacement camera was already on order and offered to carry out some work that we had requested free of charge, in compensation for the inconvenience.

Now to get on with life!:)(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back