Water heater when travelling (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We are due to take delivery of an Elddis Accordo 125 and were surprised to read, in the user manual.........

The Water Heater must be drained before travelling or if it is not being used for a period of more than 3 days, or if there is a danger of freezing (unless Frost Protection setting is active).

I am aware that the water heater is under slung on the chassis so can understand that this may prevent freezing in low temperatures.

Do you drain your water before every journey?

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Only ever drain down if we're going to be leaving the van standing for any length of time, certainly not before each journey.

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
I don't think anybody drains down the water heater before travelling unless its possible that it could freeze. If you are shortly taking delivery of a new van I'd email the dealer about your concern and save their reply.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
We have an eldiss 175,the water heater is under the van but not seen any reference to draining it before traveling. I assume if the weather was really cold then an exposed heater containing cold water could freeze and potentially burst. They are not insulated.
We will drain out if parked up over winter to save any damage.The last 2 years we have overwintered in Spain so not needed too.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I only drained mine 3 days ago because the forecast was for a frost and the van is sitting on the drive. I shall fill it before setting off on our next trip.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I’d be worried about an exposed water heater, you will have zero protection from any frost and poor insulation when it is in use on a cold day.
i would check with the dealer on the exact procedure and necessity of draining the boiler everytime you drive somewhere.
Are you sure the instructions are not for a caravan?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Our accordo 105 heater is under the bench seat inside and has insulation round it. The new vans seem to be suffering from devolution with no external storage locker either (105) ?

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Why is that devolution?
The water has less chance of freezing and is likely to stay warmer longer inside the hab ?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I suspect it's simply badly written & is intended to recommend draining before travelling in frosty weather. I'd simply leave it turned on under those circumstances.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Eh, don't understand that one.
Nor do I, which is why I asked.

My italics in the OP are a “cut and paste “ from the owners manual but no explanation is given.

I thought it may be to avoid the possibility of freezing but it makes no reference to “in freezing conditions”.

When we collect, on Monday, I will ask the dealer. If they can’t explain it then I’ll contact Elddis and report back.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I’d be worried about an exposed water heater, you will have zero protection from any frost and poor insulation when it is in use on a cold day.
i would check with the dealer on the exact procedure and necessity of draining the boiler everytime you drive somewhere.
Are you sure the instructions are not for a caravan?
Yes. Definitely in the Owner’s Manual for Elddis Accordo, 2020 models.

I downloaded it directly from Elddis.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Yes. Definitely in the Owner’s Manual for Elddis Accordo, 2020 models.

I downloaded it directly from Elddis.

You may want to consider wind chill on an exposed cold water heater, of course other factors should be taken into consideration other body/engine parts may mean that the wind is not directly on the heater either wholly or in part.

At 10 degrees C at 70 mph the wind chill is 3.6 degrees C
At 8 degrees C at 70 mph the wind chill is 0.7 degrees C
At 7 degrees C at 70 mph the wind chill is -0.8 degrees C

The Truma frost protection valve dumps water around 4 degrees c

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I am astonished that they think it is a good idea to put a boiler outside the motorhome. And then compound that by not even insulating it. Certainly not winterised.

I am the same, I have had motorhomes many years and didn't even know they did that until this thread, fresh and waste yes but not a water heater.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I have now e-mailed Elddis customer services quoting the passage re draining the heater.

I have pointed out that, in over thirty years of motorhoming, I have never heard such a suggestion before and asking for an explanation. I will also check with the Dealer, on collection, for their comments.

Any useful responses I will post fir information.

Signed

“Puzzled of South Wales ???????“

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
You may want to consider wind chill on an exposed cold water heater, of course other factors should be taken into consideration other body/engine parts may mean that the wind is not directly on the heater either wholly or in part.

At 10 degrees C at 70 mph the wind chill is 3.6 degrees C
At 8 degrees C at 70 mph the wind chill is 0.7 degrees C
At 7 degrees C at 70 mph the wind chill is -0.8 degrees C

The Truma frost protection valve dumps water around 4 degrees c
Windchill is a 'feels like' temperature and not the actual temperature. The temperature of an object remains the same regardless of windchill temperature.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I am astonished that they think it is a good idea to put a boiler outside the motorhome. And then compound that by not even insulating it. Certainly not winterised.
I am the same, I have had motorhomes many years and didn't even know they did that until this thread, fresh and waste yes but not a water heater.
Same here ... it is just madness to put a water heater outside! It's bad enough that they think putting a fresh water tank externally is okay, but a water heater???? :rolleyes:

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Windchill is a 'feels like' temperature and not the actual temperature. The temperature of an object remains the same regardless of windchill temperature.
Isn't wind chill the real effect air movement has on lowering temperatures?
Because of convection, etc.
It can be mitigated by putting a barrier up.

People do say, for example if it's -1degC "because of wind chill it feels colder", but exposed to wind chill effected temps you will get colder than the ambient

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Isn't wind chill the real effect air movement has on lowering temperatures?
Because of convection, etc.
It can be mitigated by putting a barrier up.

People do say, for example if it's -1degC "because of wind chill it feels colder", but exposed to wind chill effected temps you will get colder than the ambient
Wind chill accounts for wind (at whatever temperature) blowing against a damp human and lowering their body temperature below the temperature of the wind itself. We're all damp :D .

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Wind chill only affects something that is warm. The air blows over the surface and carries the heat away faster. If it's at ambient temperature anyway it will just stay at ambient temperature even with high winds.

Actually it will get very very slightly warmer with air friction. Concorde used to get longer by several inches when flying fast because of heat caused by air friction ?

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Are the OP's fresh waster tank(s) inside the van? If so, would draining the hot water heater also drain the whole fresh water tank just through gravity?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Wind chill cools something more quickly but not below the ambient temperature.
Correct but that's not really "wind chill" wind chill is when a living body feels cooler than the temperature because of evaporation from the body, as stated previously "its because we are damp" the wind takes away moisture from our skin which is replaced by our body this evaporation requires heat energy from the surface so we "feel cold" a lump of metal does not feel the cold as we do.

It's all really the same as why you should wear protection when filling up with liquid gas, the liquid want's to evaporate but it needs heat to change state, it takes the heat from your skin.

Martin

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
So if you have a lump of metal does it not chill down more quickly in the wind as opposed to the same lump of metal and same temperature with no wind?

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
So if you have a lump of metal does it not chill down more quickly in the wind as opposed to the same lump of metal and same temperature with no wind?
Yes to the ambient temperature my post regarding wind chill was miss-leading for humans and warm blooded creatures wind removes the warmth surrounding our bodies and can cause core temperature to drop and possibly cause Hyperthermia.

The thing I would be most concerned about is when to dump the heaters water and the Truma automated dump valve is probably a good guide at 4 degrees. It’s easy to forget to clear a system.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back